Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
In his latest mock:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10069968

He supposes that New Orleans (typo reads Seattle) will trade a 4th rounder (they have three 4th round picks #119, 121, 122 (Pats have # 123)) to the Pats to move up from #27 to #24 and take Greg Olsen the TE from Miami before the Jets can (getting an extra 4th and screwing the mangenius at the same time, may be too much for BB to resist).

This is a very plausible trade, and I bet that unless their is someone there that BB/SP is sure the Jets will take and they want, they might make.

It will also give the Pats 30 minutes on the clock for their two 1st round picks, plenty of time to negotiate another trade. I see them usuing one first rounder and then trading down into the second round. I can see a trade of say #28 for a mid second rounder and maybe a swap of picks into the top of the third round.

NO needs a CB desperately so I could see them making that trade if there's only one of the first rounders left at that point. Problem is if it's Revis we want him too.

I do love the idea of screwing the Jets and moving down if all of our value is gone.

In his latest mock:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10069968

He supposes that New Orleans (typo reads Seattle) will trade a 4th rounder (they have three 4th round picks #119, 121, 122 (Pats have # 123)) to the Pats to move up from #27 to #24 and take Greg Olsen the TE from Miami before the Jets can (getting an extra 4th and screwing the mangenius at the same time, may be too much for BB to resist).

This is a very plausible trade, and I bet that unless their is someone there that BB/SP is sure the Jets will take and they want, they might make.

It will also give the Pats 30 minutes on the clock for their two 1st round picks, plenty of time to negotiate another trade. I see them usuing one first rounder and then trading down into the second round. I can see a trade of say #28 for a mid second rounder and maybe a swap of picks into the top of the third round.

What's also cool is the Pats could have Consecutive Draft Choices in both rounds.

#27 + 28-Round 1

#122 + 123-Round 4

I love the fact we have the pick before the Jests. It will give Mangina nightmares up until draft day.

this will alll be dictated by who is still on the board. he's grasping at straws

I don't like trades in mocks, the mocks are speculative enough; trades make them ridiculous.

If we trade down, though, I'm more interested in starting to get some extra picks for 2008. We've filled some holes through FA, have two #1s, several comp picks and still have cap space. Looking to next year, we have no extra picks right now and will get no comp picks.

The more mock drafts I see, the more I want the pats to trade down out of the first with one of their firsts. I'd still like to see us swing a deal with Tampa - our 24 for their two 2nds - and grab two players of similar talent levels instead of one. This draft seems to feature a lot of good players and only a hand full of great players. Get past Landry in the first round, he'll likely be gone by 12#, the rest of the bunch appear very even. Revis isn't going to slide down now after burning up the track on his pro day. Beason might be good but he's a little small and carries that word "might" with him a little too strongly to be a certain 1st rounder. Sliding out of the first round by swapping with Tampa could give us a chance to also grab a RB with one of our three picks in the top 64 - something that's doubtful if we stay at 24 and 28.

So for Kirwan's suggestion - I'd rather the Pats take the Saints second and third and just get out of the first all together with one of their picks in exchange for getting an extra body who "might" pan out.

I don't like trades in mocks, the mocks are speculative enough; trades make them ridiculous.

If we trade down, though, I'm more interested in starting to get some extra picks for 2008. We've filled some holes through FA, have two #1s, several comp picks and still have cap space. Looking to next year, we have no extra picks right now and will get no comp picks.

You and I agree again. To assume that two teams are willing to trade is speculation at it's highest.

However, I don't want to trade into 2008. We need to get players at LB and S and CB, if they are there.

Why do they need extra picks in 2008? They'll still have a lot of the same players they have now, and they'll already have their base seven picks. Plus, a lot of the draftee's they select this year could fill potential needs in '08-'09.

If anything I would use the late round picks (two 6th round picks) to move up one spot if there is a certain player they like. There is no certainty that 6th rounder will even make the roster, especially this year.

For the record I am not saying sixth round picks are expendable. I know all about the players who have been taken in the sixth round. What I am saying is NE finds themselves in a unique situation.

"I'd still like to see us swing a deal with Tampa - our 24 for their two 2nds - and grab two players of similar talent levels instead of one. This draft seems to feature a lot of good players and only a hand full of great players"

I love this senerio if it happens. Be nice to recoup our lost 2nd rounder

"I'd still like to see us swing a deal with Tampa - our 24 for their two 2nds - and grab two players of similar talent levels instead of one. This draft seems to feature a lot of good players and only a hand full of great players"

I love this senerio if it happens. Be nice to recoup our lost 2nd rounder

If Tampa was willing to do this, then great.

Draft day trade talk is all speculation with analyst putting pieces together because it makes sense to them. Maybe, maybe not. Don't know what kinda value there is in the 4th, but I am not exactly excited about the talent at the bottom of the first round. All of them are question marks with big price tags. Hook me up with thirds.

Don't know what kinda value there is in the 4th, but I am not exactly excited about the talent at the bottom of the first round. All of them are question marks with big price tags. Hook me up with thirds.
Which is why the Tampa trade makes sense...depending on who is available..they will trade or not..how many years have people been saying they will trade down and?? Maybe this is the year for some of that..esp with two 1st rounders..IF another team is looking for a player late in the 1st round..that could be golden..many scenarios..

3 days ago I thought this guy was genius, now he is a moron....

His latest mock.....
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10081020

He keeps the trade with NO, but then has the Pats select, get this a CENTER!!! with the 28th pick.

Does anyone here think that center is a position that even nees upgrading? let alone using one of our two first rd picks on? The guy is nuts

His latest mock.....

He keeps the trade with NO, but then has the Pats select, get this a CENTER!!! with the 28th pick.

Does anyone here think that center is a position that even nees upgrading? let alone using one of our two first rd picks on? The guy is nuts
I've considered Kalil as an option. The drawback is that I'm not as confident he would be as effective at OG, and that BB has found decent OC in other rounds. Kalil is described as a perfect choice for zone blocking systems, which appears to be where the Pats are headed with Maroney in the backfield. The Pats currently have two 5th round and two UDFA OC on the roster, plus Yates who has cross-trained at OC. Kalil would be nice, but I'm not sure he brings all that much more to the table, but I'd half answer your question by saying I've considered OC.

His latest mock.....

He should have just given us Staley and be done with it. Staley fits better for us than a guard or center.

That trade sucks and makes no sense for us to do. It does nothing to get us the big prize.

Yeah that's a big huh. Koppen is a fixture at center and the Pats recently extended him LONG-term. No way we're looking at a center. A new LT maybe, but that's about the only way I'd see us drafting a lineman with a 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots