Kirwin & Gosselin: Draft thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Draft buzz: Two offensive tackles separating themselves from the pack
Before the attention of the NFL world turns to the annual owners' meetings next week and key issues such as a new collective bargaining agreement, the rules committee recommendations and the league's financial state of affairs, let's review the last couple weeks.

There was a frenzy in free agency with some big deals, though that's slowing down now. As for the 2009 NFL Draft, the first half of the first round is now becoming more clear.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Ebb and flow of draft picks

The draft is still more than a month away -- and many things can change between now and then -- but the more I talk with the coaches and scouts who are on the road visiting pro days and watching hours of game tape, the more of a sense I get about the shape of the first round.

There's no question that offensive line coaches feel very comfortable with Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith at the top of the draft. Both prospects have created a sense of comfort for the coaches, convincing them that they have the talent, temperament and character to play early and play well. You would be surprised how many coaches aren’t that interested in high first-round picks. These guys have to play early, and too many of them just aren’t ready. Monroe and Smith have overcome that issue, but Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eben Britton still have questions.

Another trend is that there appears to be positive momentum among the group of pass rushers in the first round. In the last month, I keep hearing how much interest NFL people have with Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin and even Michael Johnson. I think it’s fair to say that all four have moved up a few spots.

If those players are moving up, who is moving down? Outside of Malcolm Jenkins, it appears the cornerbacks group isn't holding in the top half of the draft. Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith and D.J. Moore seem to falling to the bottom of the first round or into the second round. That could be good news for teams like the Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers and a few others who pick late in the first round.

Last edited:
re: Kirwin & Gosselin: Draft thoughts

NFL Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Downsizing at safety
6:43 AM Sat, Mar 21, 2009
Rick Gosselin

Stopping the run remains a top priority on defense in the NFL. Safeties are such a huge component in run support, NFL teams need them to have some bulk to withstand the rigors of tackling a Brandon Jacobs (264 pounds), Michael Turner (244), Steven Jackson (235) and other big backs they'll face over a 16-game season.

The draft is all about measurables and the line the NFL draws at safety is 200 pounds. In 2006, there were 23 safeties drafted and 21 of them weighed 200 or more. Kansas City drafted a pair of safeties that went 239 pounds (Jarrad Page) and 224 (Bernard Pollard). Both now start for the Chiefs. Under 200 pounds and a safety might break in the NFL from the pounding.

The NFL has seen the influence the spread offense is having on the college game. In this draft the NFL is starting to see that influence on the defenses. The explosion of three- and four-wide receiver packages in the spread offenses has forced the college game to find safeties who can cover slot receivers. So there's a greater emphasis in the NCAA on safeties with speed rather than size.

Alabama's Rashad Johnson played at 186 last season. Troy's Sherrod Martin played at 191. They are two of the top-rated safeties in this draft board. Eight of the top 30 safeties on this draft board are under 200 pounds.

if the pats pick a DB at 23, I get the feeling there will be a big run on OLB/DE types in the late first round.

if the pats pick a DB at 23, I get the feeling there will be a big run on OLB/DE types in the late first round.

"Let's get them before the Pats do at #34"?

Falls in line with my thoughts on the inside LB'S in this years crop. Maualuga maintains the top spot -thus becoming more improtant as the draft nears. Trend of big power backs means guys like Maulaluga are needed to thump them. So forget about the negatives-this guy is the best at what he does this year. I would dummy down my thought process on Maualuga. He is what he is. At 23 he would fill a big need. After Maualuga the drop off is enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back