PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan's BB nugget

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
"When I was with Belichick, he always liked the three-cone drill, and Smith's 6.92 time was faster than D.J. Moore or Alphonso Smith"

for your consideration

He Choose Sean Smith for the pats in his latest mock draft.

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top

I just wonder if Smith will be available at 34.

in the highly unlikely event that curry falls to 9, i really hope wed trade one of our 2nds to move up and get him

"When I was with Belichick, he always liked the three-cone drill, and Smith's 6.92 time was faster than D.J. Moore or Alphonso Smith"

Well, based on Kirwan's 3-cone logic, he failed to consider one fact:

The Pats have a second-year CB drafted in round two who ran the fastest 3-cone at last years Combine - Terrence Wheatley (6.74).

However, due to the Pats two veteran CB acquisitions, they may not go CB early this draft. If they did, Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith would be considered early, while a few day two CBs are also very appealing.

The 3-cone is an important drill, along with how they play the position.

Well, based on Kirwan's 3-cone logic, he failed to consider one fact:

The Pats have a second-year CB drafted in round two who ran the fastest 3-cone at last years Combine - Terrence Wheatley (6.74).

However, due to the Pats two veteran CB acquisitions, they may not go CB early this draft. If they did, Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith would be considered early, while a few day two CBs are also very appealing.

The 3-cone is an important drill, along with how they play the position.

Well, supposedly Smith has the size to play safety, which counts for something.

Here's another tidbit from Kirwan:

The Patriots are going to wind up with a veteran outside linebacker (Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor) and that shifts the interest to the secondary.

for your consideration

That's true (his 6.92 was the same as Darius Butler's time, and faster than the 7.01 posted for DJ Moore and 7.09 for Alphonso Smith). But it ignores the extremely impressive 6.67 3-cone posted by Louis Delmas. Delmas' hitting ability combined with his agility is extremely enticing.

All times are combine times, noted on http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings. Some players' pro day times have been faster, but I don't have pro day numbers for those players.

3-cone eh?

Top 5 Combine 3-cones by position

OLB: T-1 Curry/Cushing, 2 Barwin, 3 Matthews, T-4 Freeman/Maiava (Note, only one of them is NE 3-4 OLB size :) )

ILB: 1 laurinaitis, T-2 Ellerbee/McKillop, 3 Brinkley, 4 Arnoux

FS: 1 Bruton, 2 Delmas, 3 McBath, 4 Underwood, T-5 Nolan/Spillman

SS: 1 Akins, 2 Moore, 3 Sanford, 4 Vaughn, 5 Hamlin

I'm not going to try to rank 3-4 DE or NT

OT: 1 Murtha, 2 Fulton, 3 Smith, 4 Bell, 5 Beatty

Since Guard is so weak, I'll skip them and rank Centers.

OC: 1 Unger, T-2 Shipley/Cooper, 3 Wood, 4 Luigs

WR: 1 Underwood, T-2 Thomas/Hartline, 3 Ogletree, 4 Robiske

Brinkley coming in at #3 on the cone drill for ILB is impressive at his size

Glad we're talking about the 3-cone. The 20-yard shuttle (some call it the "box drill") is also a good indicator of stop-start ability.

We all look at the 40, but how many times does a player get the opportunity to run in a straight line?

Speaking of which, the fastest 3-cone I've seen for a WR:
Dudley Guice*|*Northwestern State (LA),*WR*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

FWIW.
I see your 6.61 and raise you... ;)

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros - Powered by the Sports Xchange

Northwestern pair help themselves at pro day - Inside the Bears
Northwestern pair help themselves at pro day
By Brad Biggs on March 12, 2009 7:37 PM

Another player who helped himself was wide receiver Eric Peterman. He just might have run himself into the seventh round of the draft with a 40-time of 4.45 and 4.47 seconds and a strong three-cone drill of 6.58 seconds. He could have at least created a few pre-draft visits for himself and forced teams to consider if he can be an asset on special teams.

The teams identified at the event were: the Bears, Atlanta, Dallas, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, New England, New Orleans, N.Y. Giants, N.Y. Jets, Oakland, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Washington.

3-cone eh?

SS: 1 Akins, 2 Moore, 3 Sanford, 4 Vaughn, 5 Hamlin

I want one if not BOTH of these guys in a Pat's uni next month!

for your consideration

I saw this too and found "interesting", for lack of a better word. I did some googling of previous players' 3-cone numbers and found that it's all over the board. Wheatley's time was exceptional, but Wilhite's was not - 7.17 at his pro day. Mayo's wasn't anything special, at 7.31. Assante Samuel's was sub 7, but Eugene Wilson's was not.

So all in all, I would characterize that the 3 cone drill is 1 very small factor in a very large evaluation process. And the fact that Kirwan says BB will pick Smith because "Smith's 6.92 time was faster than D.J. Moore or Alphonso Smith" means to me that Kirwan has no clue what the Patriots are going to do. It is an interesting nugget though.

Last edited:
Glad we're talking about the 3-cone. The 20-yard shuttle (some call it the "box drill") is also a good indicator of stop-start ability.

We all look at the 40, but how many times does a player get the opportunity to run in a straight line?

Opposing CB's are going to run a ton of 40's chasing Galloway downfield as he runs nothing but up, fly and go routes against single coverage all game long. Brady should be salivating.

Suddenly 50 TD passes seems kind of low.

That's true (his 6.92 was the same as Darius Butler's time, and faster than the 7.01 posted for DJ Moore and 7.09 for Alphonso Smith). But it ignores the extremely impressive 6.67 3-cone posted by Louis Delmas. Delmas' hitting ability combined with his agility is extremely enticing.

All times are combine times, noted on http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings. Some players' pro day times have been faster, but I don't have pro day numbers for those players.

In my mind, A Smith has really dropped at a Pats CB. Yes his ball skills are excellent, but given the soft zaone defense BB plays, he would struggle getting up on cutting WR's.

I have never been a S Smith fan as a CB.

Instead I am really thinking BB needs to look at Butler. (Provided he has the ball skills.) Decent size, speed and 3 cone. He should have a year to work on tackling and getting physical with WR's before he sees substantial time in the base defense.

3-cone eh?

I wonder what our old friend Charlie is going to whisper in BB's ear? I wonder if he whispered it while they were on stage together at the Bon Jovi concert. HHMMM!!!!!

Sean Smith could be an all-pro at FS, and a pretty damn good corner in my personal projections.

Sean Smith could be an all-pro at FS, and a pretty damn good corner in my personal projections.

What are you basing this fantastic prediction on. Game film? Hightlight you tube snippets? Personal scouting? Because realistically or unrealistically every player that enters the NFL could theorectically become an all-pro?

Let's not gush too much on Smith. Remember Tebucky Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes