PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan: Spagnuolo's plan has NFL playing follow the leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pride of Grafton, MA...

It's a good read. We have some smart guys on our staff too, though, who have had an offseason to look at this. Additionally, Dom Capers can likely help as he's a pressure DC and would likely bring a good perspective.

It's a good read. We have some smart guys on our staff too, though, who have had an offseason to look at this. Additionally, Dom Capers can likely help as he's a pressure DC and would likely bring a good perspective.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...0d5d8099246b&template=with-video&confirm=true

Will problems that the Giants exposed be resolved?

It seems like it was only yesterday that Belichick developed a defense to slow the high-flying St. Louis Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" in Super Bowl XXXVI. Teams studied the Patriots' plan and applied it to the Rams the following season. Belichick told me he has done due diligence during the offseason to address what the Giants were able to do when it came to applying great pressure on Brady.

Look for New England to use a combination of a quick-passing game, some changeups in the blocking schemes, an extra tight end in protections, and more use of the running game to attack the schemes the Patriots fully expect to see this fall. Keep in mind, Dom Capers is now on the Patriots staff and during practice he had the scout defense challenging the offense with pressure schemes. You can count on Belichick to get the problem solved.

Disguised zone blitzing up front with a 3 deep zone in the backend. So what? This has been done for years. It just never had a catchy "fire zone" phrase attached to it in the past.

The only possible way a team will be able to duplicate what the Giants did in the SB is if they play the Pats when Brady is injured and our OC is off dreaming in la-la land.

also interesting to note that a lot of teams are installing this so called firezone blitz.

The "Fire Zone" is just a Zone Blitz. The concept has been around for almost 20 years. It has been called Fire Zone for quite some time.

Well if Brady, Moss and Welker can't figure out an answer to that I will be very surprised.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d80a45a32&template=without-video&confirm=true

interesting he mentions that the giants borrowed the plan from ravens and chargers whereas i thought they looked more at the cleveland and 2nd jets games.
also interesting to note that a lot of teams are installing this so called firezone blitz.

I hope that every team we play this year tries to copy what the Giants did in the SB.
We will DESTROY it. If us winning or losing depends upon other teams copying what was done against us, and whether BB is smart enough to counter it, I really love our chances.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d80a45a32&template=without-video&confirm=true

interesting he mentions that the giants borrowed the plan from ravens and chargers whereas i thought they looked more at the cleveland and 2nd jets games.

Was this another, "The way you beat the Patriots is to get to the QB" article?

That's revolutionary thinking. Too bad no one ever thought of that before, it would have helped people deal with Peyton in 2004..........oops that's right.

Seriously, is anyone out there as sick as me about hearing that if you rush the QB, you might disrupt the game plan?

That's like saying, "If you stand here long enough, the sun will rise".

I've always thought that going after the QB was the best option for any team unless the QB really sucks. I'd rather die with man to man coverage than bending all the way down the field. BB seems to think the other way, he is like the Russians, the further you get into his territory the harder it gets. He relies on probability, just by the law of averages it is very difficult to make several 3rd down conversions in a row to sustain a drive, eventually the offense slips up.

This does sound exactly like a zone blitz maybe the only difference is that you have the possibility of 3 lineman dropping into coverage rather than 1. I have to admit that reading this article made me feel better about what happened in the SB. I can live with the idea that we were outschemed because it will not happen very often with BB.

I get the feeling that his hiring of Capers is too take some of the pressure off him so he can make adjustments on offense if he sees something new. You so often see BB on the sidelines with the white board showing the defense something, maybe he realized that the offense needed more of his insight as well. He can only do so much, Capers should help alleviate some of the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes