PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan says Bengals want #3 seed more than the Patriots do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, really? Come on now. That game had a still rusty, hadn't played a game since high school, Cassel at QB. Are you seriously going to try to use that game as predictive of how the Patriots will play in the playoffs??

I just think the Chargers are a superior overall team. In my opinion last year's game is a better reference point than the 2006 and 2007 game. I've read a lot of the threads on this site and people are more than hinting that they want no part of the Chargers. You can't honestly think you're the favorite in that ball game.

The Chargers beat the piss out of you last year. Rivers is playing better than Brady, we have better running game and a better secondary and I believe a superior passing game. This not to mention you're coming to SD where the crowd will be pumped. You barely beat us in 2007 with a busted up team. I give you guys a 30% chance at best. There's a reason why you're begging for the 4 seed.

How do you figure?

The Chargers are ranked 29th in the NFL in rushing yards.

The Pats are ranked 11th.

And I wouldn't be talking so much about last year's game unless you want us to mention the 3 Patriot victories over SD that preceeded it.

From the posting on this site I get the impression that Patriot fans are afraid of the Chargers this year. There are a lot of posters begging to get the 4 seed. I guess this is understandable after the beating that SD layed out out last year in San Diego. Personally I see the Patriots as having little chance against SD if they meet in the divisonal game.

Two words:

Matt Cassel

I haven't watched a lot of the SD games

but I want no part of them. I think they're the team to beat this year.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks though

Hahahahaha.....you're too cute, little Ray. SD crowd "pumped?" LMFAO!!!!! You mean the same San Diego that has to black out playoff games because so many of their "pumped" fans fill the stadium?

And you did notice who was playing quarterback for the Pats last year didn't you? Even though it was Matty "I haven't played a down of football since high school" Cassell, no excuses, you did beat us fair and square. See that's the problem--you win one game against us and your players and fans start saying things like "we have your number." You have some success and you start saying "this is the year!" Only problem is, it always ends the same way for you. :(

The SD crowd will be ready, you better believe it. Last year's game was an execution. Brady will not be enough to overcome a balanced football team. Relying on two receivers to win the football game will not be enough.

I see the Patriots side of it...and I'd love to see it....I think. Be careful what you wish for and all that. But on paper, as a fan, I'd rather the Chargers play Cinci in the divisional round rather than the Pats. The game in SD earlier this year was not as close as the score. The Chargers were up by 11 with the ball late in the 3rd qtr or early in the fourth when the Bengals got a fluke interception (ball went through Gates' hands) that allowed them to get back in the game. Don't think a rematch will be much different but, of course, one never knows.

Oh, I think that both San Diego and New England would prefer that the Bengals win the #3 seed, if it was looked at purely from a "best matchup scenario for the playoffs" angle. The difference is in the "why" aspect of it. For S.D., they'd get a less physical, and less talented, team in round 2 AND only have to face 1 of their 2 recent "fellow elites". For N.E., it's more a matter of the timing and location of the games.

Last edited:
Two words:

Matt Cassel

One player will not change an execution into a victory. Sorry but you're overestimating Brady's abilities. I don't think we have your number I just believe we have a better overall football team.

The Chargers beat the piss out of you last year. Rivers is playing better than Brady, we have better running game and a better secondary and I believe a superior passing game. This not to mention you're coming to SD where the crowd will be pumped. You barely beat us in 2007 with a busted up team. I give you guys a 30% chance at best. There's a reason why you're begging for the 4 seed.

Another troll from San Diego....

It's not about 3 or 4 but which would you rather see?

philip-rivers-crying-pissed.jpg

PeytonManning14a.jpg

No trolling here, just facts. We have a better football team than you as evidenced by our records and the teams we have beaten. I watched the Saints game this year and it was just pitiful. Do you guys really believe you have the better football team? What areas do you believe you are stronger in? Your defence is nothing compared to the defence that beat Indy in 2004.

Last edited:
One player will not change an execution into a victory. Sorry but you're overestimating Brady's abilities. I don't think we have your number I just believe we have a better overall football team.

Disagree on the first count

Maybe at another position you would have a point but nobody has more impact on the game than the QB. What Brady brings to the table is far superior than what Cassel could do. I'm not saying the score would be reversed but Brady on the field changes the way the whole game is played.

From how the Chargers played defense to how productive our offense was. It all would have been different had #12 been on the field.

I do think the Chargers are the better football team though. I think the Pats have plenty of potential and if they came out firing on all cylinders for 4 quarters they are as good as anybody. It just hasn't happened this season though, with the exception of the Jags game

Last edited:
I just think the Chargers are a superior overall team. In my opinion last year's game is a better reference point than the 2006 and 2007 game. I've read a lot of the threads on this site and people are more than hinting that they want no part of the Chargers. You can't honestly think you're the favorite in that ball game.

Of course you do. Your a Charger fan. You should think that your team is the better team.

That said. It's a little presumptive to come in here and try to convince us that NE is a sure win for you. You give us a 30% chance too....... Well, ain't that cute. Your percentage prediction is equal to what I just dropped into the toilet bowl dude. SQUAT......

Personally, I'd rather play Indy then SD in the playoffs, cuz I think SD is better, however......... I'm not particularly worried about SD either. SD sucks in the post-season. You've taken better teams in and lost. Much as you throw percentages around, noone can change your history of choking in the big spot.

Trust me, you'd rather play Cincy (another team that doesn't know how to win) in the postseason. The LAST team you want in SD should be NE. If that's not the case, you just don't know your history.

Last edited:
Here we go, a charger fan, the only thing that can compete with a rats fan. If the rats fans are 1 the chargers are 1A, except that the rats have at least WON something in the last forty year, 1969. The Chargers haven't won anything EVER but that won't stop they're fans from talking...they're good at that, same as the team.

Last edited:
If that's true, then perhaps neglected to mention an additional factor.

The divisional round is when some teams are coming off of byes and some are not. If you already have done a lot of prep work vs. your opponent who's coming off a bye, that can help w/ limiting that advantage.

Pat was just talking about this on Sirius Radio and I think he may have a point here.

He said the Bengals are fully confident that if they win thier first game as the#3 seed they can surely go to San Diego and win since they came very close to doing just that a few weeks ago.

He said the Patriots feel the exact same way about the #4 seed as being confident that they can go to Indy and win since they came beyond close to doing that a month ago as well.

Pat expects the Pats to lay off just about all thier starters this upcoming game and pretty much tank the Houston game because they really want the #4 and Cincy will do just the opposite and play all thier starters all game and try as hard as they can to gather up the #3 if NE does lose.

Makes sense...

No trolling here, just facts. We have a better football team than you as evidenced by our records and the teams we have beaten. I watched the Saints game this year and it was just pitiful. Do you guys really believe you have the better football team? What areas do you believe you are stronger in? Your defence is nothing compared to the defence that beat Indy in 2004.

Your very first post was a troll post and you've not gotten better since. That would be fine if your posts possessed some level of intelligence, but that hasn't been the case. One of your fellow Chargers fans tried to settle you down, but you decided to continue playing the role of assclown.

As for what areas the Patriots are stronger than the Chargers.....

QB
RB
WR
OL
S
CB3
Head coach

Also, a healthy Mayo would be the best LB on the field, and Wilfork and Warren are vastly superior to any 2 Chargers D-linemen.

Last edited:
Cincy at SD in the playoffs brings me back to the 80s when the Chargers played at Cincy in one of the coldest days in NFL history with Wind Chills around 30 below..I have chills even thinking about that game in which the Bengals won on the way to the SB vs. SF.

I remember that great game, Dan Fouts, Kenny Anderson, Dan Ross, a classic that I will never forget. I can't believe they played football in that weather.

This team is not good enough to be resting players like that. They have to play this game hard, to win, if they want to go into the playoffs with some confidence. Last week is messing with people's minds; this was a rough month and a half for the team.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Is it 2006?????? I remember this. HAHAH. I reeeeeally remember this.

Oh man you guys with this "better team" thing better be careful we don't march in there and end your season, AGAIN. We have nothing to lose, your poorly coached team will be playing with the world on their shoulders. Can you imagine what would happen if a weaker NE team beats SD in SD....AGAIN? The fan base would commit mass harakiri.

Your very first post was a troll post and you've not gotten better since. That would be fine if your posts possessed some level of intelligence, but that hasn't been the case. One of your fellow Chargers fans tried to settle you down, but you decided to continue playing the role of assclown.

As for what areas the Patriots are stronger than the Chargers.....

QB
RB
WR
OL
S
CB3
Head coach

Also, a healthy Mayo would be the best LB on the field, and Wilfork and Warren are vastly superior to any 2 Chargers D-linemen.

Great post Deus, Id throw DL also, especially since their best DL Williams has been out almost the entire season. Id take Wilfork or Warren over anybody on their line.

Great post Deus, Id throw DL also, especially since their best DL Williams has been out almost the entire season. Id take Wilfork or Warren over anybody on their line.

Lol if this is true you guys must have the most underperforming squad in NFL history. Good luck, you're going to need it. Don't count on a one in a million fumble to win this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots