PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan on Branch "Trade" situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
zippo59 said:
Wow, how can a player get such a distorted view of his own worth?

Its called your "agent" feeding you a line of BS that you buy into. But Branch is worth more than his current contract states and the Pats agreed and are willing to up that considerably. I hope that he fires Chayut today and gets to camp.

The fact that reports like Kirwan's seem to represent the consensus is encouraging, but the success of the Pats' gambit hinges on Branch + Chayut taking the hint.

If Chayut can convince Branch that the reason he wasn't getting his offers is that the Pats were somehow scaring teams away with their draft pick demands or by making it clear they don't really intend to trade Branch, then we could end up with an even deeper entrenchment.

Also, I've got a problem with the logic of bringing up preseason to support the anonymous GM's statement "I'm not sure Brady doesn't make him look even better."

So far in preseason, Brady has clearly made the Pats passing game look better -- but not so much the WRs. If having Brady makes a WR look better, why hasn't Caldwell looked like Branch?

We all talk about how Brady's favorite WR is the open one -- so in order for Branch to have become Brady's favorite target the past few years, wouldn't that mean he's the most often open -- and that Brady trusts Branch's hands?

While Brady can probably hit a WR who's gotten less separation than most QB's, which might make him look better, he will also look away from a WR who's being double covered, thus perhaps making it look like Branch has been "taken out of the game" by a double team, when in reality, Brady is just looking to take advantage of the coverage holes that creates elsewhere.

Last edited:
Johnny Z said:
Deion Branch was the best natural WR of his draft class, and I said that long before that draft was held.

Most NFL GMs will not look at a 5'9" WR. If Branch were 6'1", exact same stats and exact same career, that great big sucking sound you would be hearing would be 31 GMs trying to suck him off the table.

No Branch, two less rings, and no more rings.

Look guys, Nostradamus has decided to pay us a visit.

Pat_Nasty said:
The fact that reports like Kirwan's seem to represent the consensus is encouraging, but the success of the Pats' gambit hinges on Branch + Chayut taking the hint.

If Chayut can convince Branch that the reason he wasn't getting his offers is that the Pats were somehow scaring teams away with their draft pick demands or by making it clear they don't really intend to trade Branch, then we could end up with an even deeper entrenchment.

Also, I've got a problem with the logic of bringing up preseason to support the anonymous GM's statement "I'm not sure Brady doesn't make him look even better."

So far in preseason, Brady has clearly made the Pats passing game look better -- but not so much the WRs. If having Brady makes a WR look better, why hasn't Caldwell looked like Branch?

We all talk about how Brady's favorite WR is the open one -- so in order for Branch to have become Brady's favorite target the past few years, wouldn't that mean he's the most often open -- and that he trusts Branch's hands?

While Brady can probably hit a WR who's gotten separation than most QB's, which might make him look better, he will also look away from a WR who's being double covered, thus perhaps making it look like Branch has been "taken out of the game" by a double team, when in reality, Brady is just looking to take advantage of the coverage holes that creates elsewhere.

One of the most intelligent posts of the week by Nasty here!

Johnny Z said:
Deion Branch was the best natural WR of his draft class, and I said that long before that draft was held.

Most NFL GMs will not look at a 5'9" WR. If Branch were 6'1", exact same stats and exact same career, that great big sucking sound you would be hearing would be 31 GMs trying to suck him off the table.

Wow...Did Deon pay you to write that?

Johnny Z said:

dude, I luv Deion, but we DID win a ring without him. Kind of kills that argument, no? He's a definite boost for sure, but not ESSENTIAL.

Pat_Nasty said:

We all talk about how Brady's favorite WR is the open one -- so in order for Branch to have become Brady's favorite target the past few years, wouldn't that mean he's the most often open -- and that Brady trusts Branch's hands?

While Brady can probably hit a WR who's gotten less separation than most QB's, which might make him look better, he will also look away from a WR who's being double covered, thus perhaps making it look like Branch has been "taken out of the game" by a double team, when in reality, Brady is just looking to take advantage of the coverage holes that creates elsewhere.
You have to be careful to draw generalizations. It's not just Caldwell that Brady (and Cassel) that are part of the concept of "QB making WRs better".

19 Passing downs that resulted in first downs:
9 to WR: 4 Brown, 3 Caldwell, 2 Childress
9 to TE: 8 Watson, 1 Graham
1 to RB: 1 Dillon

11 Running downs that resulted in first downs

294 yards passing:
115 WR
127 TE (and Watson may well have been emphasized in game plan)
52 RB

So, given that you don't regard Caldwell all that highly, and Childress is certainly not regarded as a starting WR, doesn't that kind of say that Pats QBs made so-so receivers look pretty good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back