Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
NFL Live Chat

Bob, MA
02:25 PM ET
Green-Ellis was quite impressive last night. His regular season performances last year were also impressive. Do you see him getting some regular season reps? Is it time to cut Maroney?
Kirwansmall
Pat Kirwan, NFL.com
I agree with you on BenJarvus. He should be on the team. You might be able to trade Laurence Maroney. I would not cut him. On the other hand, you can't keep four or five running backs with the receivers required to run that passing game. It might be time to make a trade.

Kirwan doesn't make any sense. They're going to keep 6 WR and 3 TE regardless of how many RB they keep. Besides, the Pats never use 5 WR at once (at most they'll do 4 + Faulk or Watson split wide)

I'll care as soon as Peppers is wearing a Pats Uni.

Kirwan doesn't make any sense. They're going to keep 6 WR and 3 TE regardless of how many RB they keep. Besides, the Pats never use 5 WR at once (at most they'll do 4 + Faulk or Watson split wide)
Pat Kirwan almost always makes sense.

Any word on Slater? That injury could determine a special teams slot, which could go to BJGE or Nunn, depending on what else pops up (third QB spot or whatever else).

At this point I'd be very surprised if BJGE fails to make the roster. He's just been too consistent to overlook.

None of these guys have talked to Belichick, and none of them have any idea what'll happen- their opinions are worth, at best, a little more than those of a lot of posters on this board (and in reality, I trust the insight of a lot of people on this board more than just about anyone in the media not named Don Banks). They're just guessing, and they're usually pretty bad at it since they're splitting their attention among 32 teams.

Last edited:
None of these guys have talked to Belichick, and none of them have any idea what'll happen- their opinions are worth, at best, a little more than those of a lot of posters on this board (and in reality, I trust the insight of a lot of people on this board more than just about anyone in the media not named Don Banks). They're just guessing, and they're usually pretty bad at it since they're splitting their attention among 32 teams.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: greatest gig in the world. What other profession pays you to be wrong most of the time? ;)

I like Kirwan, but the team keeps 5 RBs often, and did last year. True, one has been Heath Evans pulling a lot of FB duty, but with Dave Thomas doing that, I think there's flexibility to go with 5 RBs and 5 or 6 WRs, as well.

I like Kirwan, but the team keeps 5 RBs often, and did last year. True, one has been Heath Evans pulling a lot of FB duty, but with Dave Thomas doing that, I think there's flexibility to go with 5 RBs and 5 or 6 WRs, as well.

When was the last time this team kept 5 halfbacks?

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: greatest gig in the world. What other profession pays you to be wrong most of the time? ;)

weather forecasting.

Here we go with that argument again!

"When was the last time the team cut a 3rd round pick after 1 season?"
"When was the last time BB drafted an (OL, LB, RB, DL - take your pick) in the first round?"

We usually keep 5 RBs. Just because Heath Evans had the ability to play FB doesn't change much. A couple of years ago, Faulk could be considered a halfback. But now he's just a 3rd down back - last year BJGE started over him when everyone else was hurt. And Morris is just as much a ST player as half back.

"When was the last time BB drafted an (OL, LB, RB, DL - take your pick) in the first round?"

We usually keep 5 RBs. Just because Heath Evans had the ability to play FB doesn't change much. A couple of years ago, Faulk could be considered a halfback. But now he's just a 3rd down back - last year BJGE started over him when everyone else was hurt. And Morris is just as much a ST player as half back.

Your dislike of an argument does not invalidate that argument. Also, Faulk is a halfback.

Now, when was the last time the Patriots kept 5 halfbacks?

I like Kirwan, but the team keeps 5 RBs often, and did last year. True, one has been Heath Evans pulling a lot of FB duty...

This made me giggle. Well, we've all been guilty of reading a thread too fast.

We usually keep 5 RBs. Just because Heath Evans had the ability to play FB doesn't change much...

It seems the real disagreement is whether or not fullbacks are running backs, and/or whether Heath Evans was a fullback or halfback.

Heath Evans should primarily be considered a blocker, I feel.

This made me giggle. Well, we've all been guilty of reading a thread too fast.

It seems the real disagreement is whether or not fullbacks are running backs, and/or whether Heath Evans was a fullback or halfback.

Heath Evans should primarily be considered a blocker, I feel.

However, let's not forget that Evans has played RB at times during his career, and while Morris has mostly seen action at RB in NE, he played FB prior to signing with NE, and had previously been listed as a FB on more than one NFL roster. So, NE's currently got four pure RB's in Maroney, Taylor, Faulk, and Green-Ellis, and one hybrid RB/FB in Morris. That's not all that different from what they've carried in the past.

Maroney is likely this teams "starting" running back.

I am amazed at the love for certain end of the roster players who get most of their love for performing well with the 2nd or 3rd teamers in the preseason games. As stated by others, many teams have longshot skill position guys who rack up big numbers in the preseason.

I don't have anything against Green-Ellis, I just see him as the 5th most talented back on the roster, and keeping 5 backs with the Patriots offense doesn't make sense. If the Patriots cut Morris or put him IR, I don't have an issue with Green-Ellis making the team as the 4th back.

Heath Evans played fullback and special teams which made him a useful member of the active 45 man roster. I don't see a comparison to keeping Heath and keeping Green-Ellis.

Your dislike of an argument does not invalidate that argument. Also, Faulk is a halfback.

Now, when was the last time the Patriots kept 5 halfbacks?
As was said, last year.

Maroney is likely this teams "starting" running back.

I am amazed at the love for certain end of the roster players who get most of their love for performing well with the 2nd or 3rd teamers in the preseason games. As stated by others, many teams have longshot skill position guys who rack up big numbers in the preseason.

I don't have anything against Green-Ellis, I just see him as the 5th most talented back on the roster, and keeping 5 backs with the Patriots offense doesn't make sense. If the Patriots cut Morris or put him IR, I don't have an issue with Green-Ellis making the team as the 4th back.

Heath Evans played fullback and special teams which made him a useful member of the active 45 man roster. I don't see a comparison to keeping Heath and keeping Green-Ellis.

BB may have a little love going on himself with the quote from Reiss-

“I think the thing we really like about Benny is his production. When he’s had the chance to play, he’s been productive, really in all phases of the game – as a runner, as a pass protector and blocker, and as a pass catcher and as a receiver. In the kicking game, he brings that same athleticism and toughness we see when he runs the ball. He’s a pretty valuable player who is versatile, smart, tough, and when he’s had a chance to play, he’s taken advantage of it.”

As was said, last year.

BJGE came was signed off of the practice squad on October 11 last year. Maroney was already injured at that time. One could argue, correctly but clearly running counter to the point being made, that the 9 days between the 11th and the 20th are what I meant by my question.

However, the reality is that Maroney was injured on September 14th and played his last game of the season on October 5th. So let me re-phrase.....

Other than the one week+ last year where the Patriots were evaluating what they were going to do with a running back that had a broken shoulder, and had Lamont Jordan listed as doubtful with a calf injury, when have the Patriots carried 5 halfbacks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye