PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper's view on draft depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt form Kiper's chat yesterday. I find this very interesting and not too many people are talking about it.

"I have right now 45 players with first round ability, 41 as second rounders and 34 as third rounder. That's 120 players in the first three rounds. That takes you almost through the first four rounds. These are all quality players. I'm talking about in the early second day bringing in quality players. There are 120 players that are legitimate first three round players. That means I have 23 guys that will go in the fourth round that should have gone in the third round. "

Obviously, each team's boards will be drastically different, but I expect the Pats' board to look pretty good for the first 3 or 4 rounds and expect theu will end up with 5-6 really good prospects on day 1 and early day 2.

Wow. That's in sharp contract to NFL scouts and GMs, who have 1st round grades on about 15 guys.

dryheat44 said:
Wow. That's in sharp contract to NFL scouts and GMs, who have 1st round grades on about 15 guys.

Where did you see that? Personally, I think there are a lot of rd1 guys in this draft. But most of them are more mid-late 1st round types.

bucky said:
Where did you see that? Personally, I think there are a lot of rd1 guys in this draft. But most of them are more mid-late 1st round types.

Everything I've read/heard is that there are about 15 guys worth a #1 pick, and the next 20-35 are more or less the same, based on personal preference of the GM. It seems there are an abnormal number of guys with a 2-4 round grade.

dryheat44 said:
Everything I've read/heard is that there are about 15 guys worth a #1 pick, and the next 20-35 are more or less the same, based on personal preference of the GM. It seems there are an abnormal number of guys with a 2-4 round grade.

Ive read all the same things, heat. Maybe 15 true #1's, but I heard that the next 49 are very similar in value, and not a major drop in talent from rd 2 to rd 4, either. But I think that Bucky makes a point. If we could trade out of the first round, stock up on a high 2 and an extra 3, we could own this draft.
But who would be our trading partner. Would need to be someone at the top of the order in the second. Who would be willing to play?

The Jets could be an option....

The Jets have the 29th pick on top of the 4th.....Pats send 1st for their 2nd and 3rd. That way the Pats get 5 picks within this crop that Kiper values high. That's multiple talent filled at multiple positions of need. Jets get three 1st round picks.....Win - Win for both parties.

spidey2559 said:
The Jets have the 29th pick on top of the 4th.....Pats send 1st for their 2nd and 3rd. That way the Pats get 5 picks within this crop that Kiper values high. That's multiple talent filled at multiple positions of need. Jets get three 1st round picks.....Win - Win for both parties.

(wearing handlebar mustache and lab coat) Brillient! Brillient!:eat3:

spidey2559 said:

If it's to our benefit to trade our first for a second and third, wouldn't it also be to the Jets benefit to have their second and third instead of another first? Why is it good for us to have picks in the "value rounds" but good for the Jets to trade their picks in the "value rounds"?

It's not good policy to collect as many first rounders as you can. You have to pay them first round money.

I think Mel Diaper is right on in his assessment. There are a lot more football is this draft than last years draft. I would love to see the Pats get 5 first day picks and keep those 2 4th rounders. Seven decent players will fill a lot of future holes. Now it's up to BB and SP to figure out where those holes will be in two years???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes