PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper's new mock has us taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Thought this should go in the main forum so everyone sees, since Kiper is such a big name regarding the draft and all.

1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC
2. New Orleans Matt Leinart, QB USC
3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas
4. NY Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia
5. Green Bay Mario Williams, DE* NC State
6. Oakland A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.
7. San Francisco Michael Huff, DB Texas
8. Buffalo Haloti Ngata, DT* Oregon
9. Detroit Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
10. Arizona DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
11. St. Louis Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland
12. Cleveland Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
13. Baltimore Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.
14. Philadelphia Winston Justice, T* USC
15. Atlanta Jimmy Williams, DB Virginia Tech
16. Miami Ashton Youboty, CB* Ohio St.
17. Minnesota LenDale White, RB* USC
18. Dallas Marcus McNeill, T Auburn
19. San Diego Santonio Holmes, WR* Ohio St.
20. Kansas City Tye Hill, CB Clemson
21. New England Laurence Maroney, RB* Minnesota
22. Denver (from WSH) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
23. Tampa Bay DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
24. Cincinnati Ko Simpson, DB* South Carolina
25. NY Giants Johnathan Joseph, CB* South Carolina
26. Chicago Leonard Pope, TE* Georgia
27. Carolina Dominique Byrd, TE USC
28. Jacksonville Ernie Sims, OLB* Florida St.
29. Denver Sinorice Moss, WR Miami
30. Indianapolis Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, G USC
31. Pittsburgh Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.
32. Seattle Maurice Stovall, WR Notre Dame

Lotta f'ed up picks at the end of the first... like Joseph, Byrd, Lutui, Moss, and Stovall going in the first. Overall, a piece of crap as usual.

As for the Pats pick, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Maroney. The Pats running game obviously struggled last year, and if Dillon's cap number can be restructured, then I'd be all for a RB like Maroney to go along with Dillon and take over in the future.

If White last until the #17 pick, then we need to trade up to get him. I like the Maroney pick though

I'd rather have Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter.

Watch BelichickFan cry if this happens :mad:

drew4008 said:
Lotta f'ed up picks at the end of the first... like Joseph, Byrd, Lutui, Moss, and Stovall going in the first. Overall, a piece of crap as usual.

As for the Pats pick, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Maroney. The Pats running game obviously struggled last year, and if Dillon's cap number can be restructured, then I'd be all for a RB like Maroney to go along with Dillon and take over in the future.

How do you know who is going in the first round? Do you have a crystal ball? All I know is Kiper has a whole staff who works for him talking to NFL GM's and breaking down film so I will listen to him before I do somebody on patsfans.com. Also, if you followed The Senior Bowl at all and listened to the buzz coming out of Mobile, no one would be surprised to see Moss going in round one. As a matter of fact, I think after his performance during Senior Bowl week, it's pretty likely. Of course, Kiper doesn't know anything. Everyone is just jealous because he gets paid a lot of money to do what we all wish we could do so we say he doesn't know anything. My money says he knows a lot more than you do.

patriotsrule said:
How do you know who is going in the first round? Do you have a crystal ball? All I know is Kiper has a whole staff who works for him talking to NFL GM's and breaking down film so I will listen to him before I do somebody on patsfans.com. Also, if you followed The Senior Bowl at all and listened to the buzz coming out of Mobile, no one would be surprised to see Moss going in round one. As a matter of fact, I think after his performance during Senior Bowl week, it's pretty likely. Of course, Kiper doesn't know anything. Everyone is just jealous because he gets paid a lot of money to do what we all wish we could do so we say he doesn't know anything. My money says he knows a lot more than you do.
helmet-head is consistently below other analysts.... he gets cred only because espn backs him

Boston Boxer said:
If White last until the #17 pick, then we need to trade up to get him. I like the Maroney pick though
i agree...........

patriotsrule said:

I think it may have to do with the acc. of last years mocks...

IIRC - wasnt it gawd awful

Kiper is routinely way off on his picks, and I've gotten to know his strategy. Early in the offseason he cycles players through the bottom of his top 32, so that come draft time no matter who goes high (if he brings enough up for ONE mock) he can claim to have hit on their talent in the process - His late first round mock's will stabilize and become somewhat more realistic as we approach the draft in April. Until then, expect to see a lot of big reaches from him down there - and expect them to be different every time.

Boston Boxer said:
If White last until the #17 pick, then we need to trade up to get him.
Please let this happen.

re:

The fact that Mel Kiper has an army that goes out and talks to NFL GM's doesn't mean anything to me.

If I were a GM, I'd follow the Sun Tzu School of War, and not reveal anything to media people about my intentions.

I would talk up players I had no interest in, pretend not to know anything about the players I really wanted, and in general be extremely vague and general about the whole thing.

Wouldn't be surprised if most GM's did this.

Is Maroney that good that they'd pass on a good DB like a Bing who Banks has them picking but Kiper doesn't even have going in the 1st round?

Thinking about it again, I guess the redeeming fact if we did take a RB would mean that we really do need one. What I mean by that is none of us know how Dillon's health, attitude and blocking by the OL were. If the Patriots think everything around him was fine and he just sucked then, yeah, we need to find a real RB. I guess I'm kind of hoping that's not true. But if we draft a RB high that'll answer the question.

This is a good rundown of draftnik performance over the previous three years. The Huddle Report
The number of top 100 prospects actually picked in the first 100 picks of Draft - Kiper placed 3rd

Mock drafts - 1pt for each player placed in round and 2pts for each player matched to team - Kiper placed 5th.

I'm not really a fan of Kiper, but its not a bad track record. I was surprised.

i think i read some article last year i think it was tuesday morning QB on nfl.com who showed how rarely is kiper right but still talks as if he predicted it. i would doubt they will take a RB in the first round. A DE or a WR (from Notre Dame i think) seems more likely.

Again, I'm not a fan, but I think the Huddle Report's rundown proves that Kiper isn't 'rarely' right at all, at least when it comes to predicting a given draft's top 100 players, or in mock drafting. Click the link.

I think Kiper is wrong because I don't think BB would draft an RB that high in the draft--even if we need a good one. He's been quite content to draft RBs in later rounds, with the hopes of finding a winner. It's not a bad strategy, really, as many good RBs have come in the later rounds and many of the highly touted ones haven't panned out.

Besides, it would be better to spend that choice on a OL road-grader, who would improve the lives and performances of Dillion, Brady and Watson.

Whoever was the 1st person who said "even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut" would surely have had Mel Kiper in mind. He is one of the few names you'll recognize on draft day, but for a guy who's only job is to figure out who gets drafted by who, he really is not that good at it. He undoubtedly has many contacts who he can call and ask what teams are looking at which players, but based on what he considers a teams need and what players they are picking, he is not at all god at what he does.

I like Maroney as well. But if the draft shakes out like that, I think I'm drafting Simpson, although Pope is SO tempting. Fauria out, Pope in. Watson, Graham, and Pope. Best TE combo of all time. Almost certainly the only one that features all recent #1 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back