PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper: Cassel over Stafford, Sanchez [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kiper: Cassel over Stafford, Sanchez

Pats will get 2009 high 2nd round and 2010 1st. Book it.

That seems to be the responses lately heading into a uncapped world possibly it sounds ok to me.

That can't hurt I guess....but does anyone have a sense as to how Kiper is viewed throughout the league? I understand he's been obsessed with the draft since forever and is viewed as the expert of experts, but he still kinda seems like a buffoon to me.

I think it's cool to see his passion on the subject.

You can't hate that.

I've always liked Kiper. For me, he is indeed one of the top experts on the draft, but he isn't near #1 any more. Rick Gosselin is #1 in both his 100 players actually being picked in the top 100, and is #1 in scoring his mock (1 for round, 2 for team). This is over the last 3 years as reported by Huddle, which I subscribe to. Huddle is #2 in its Top 100 list, and well down the list on the mocks. Kiper is 13th and 9th on the two measures.

For me, Gosselin is also #1 in analysis.

Disagree strongly. I have subscribed to Mel Kipers annual draft guides, which are printed well before the draft, for over a decade. While his picks were not as strong as Joel Buschbaums ( Rest in Peace ) he none the less has a very strong historical track record.

Re: Kiper likes Cassel over Stafford and Sanchez, no contest.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far, in the debate of Cassel's future with the Pats: the presence of O'Connell, who looked pretty good in PS as a rookie last year. Even if Brady is not 100%, Cassel may be still expendable if the staff is prepared to invest O'Connell into the backup role.

I think Kiper is wrong to think that the Pats are committed to MC. BB is pragmatic as they come, and an early first rounder is a no-brainer. The idea of Franchising the kid is more about getting fair value from another team in trade... a la Tebucky Jones, who the Saints "stole" from us.

“If I were Detroit or Kansas City, yeah, I would make that move in a heartbeat. But he’s not available right now, and he may never be available this year. Maybe next year he is, but I think this year he’s a hefty insurance in New England.”

Pats know better than I do, but I just don't see them tying up that much money in a backup for one position. QB is very important, but I just feel like that money can and will be better spent.

You can win many times without a key player, But not if that key player is your QB. Insurance is expensive, but the alternative is worse. You just write off the year. See Patriots 2008.

You can win many times without a key player, But not if that key player is your QB. Insurance is expensive, but the alternative is worse. You just write off the year. See Patriots 2008.

Since the Patriots missed the playoffs with the very person you're suggesting has to be kept so missing the playoffs doesn't happen, I find your argument amusing.

Patriots lost QB Brady
Patriots went with QB Cassel
Patriots suffered a "lost season" with QB Cassel
QB Cassel must be kept regardless of cost, otherwise the Patriots will suffer another disappointing season like the one they just had with QB Cassel.

I think your argument needs some fine tuning.

Yep id take that as well. Or maybe KC's no #2, Tony G, and a #2 next year for MC and a 3rd

If I were the Vikes though I would be all over Cassel at pick 19. I mean they are a decent QB away from a legit SB run, they have the best RB in the NFL and their OLine is better than NE's. I like MC and kinda hopes he ends up there

Why would you have to throw in a 3rd round pick from the Pats? Gonzalez didn't even fetch a 3rd round pick last year from the Pats when he was on the block?
If we're trading with the Chiefs, I'd treat Gonzalez being thrown in as a 1-2 year rental of a player at best. I'd rather have a higher pick than have them throw in Tony G.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots