PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper: Brooks Reed will be a First round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiper does this around this time every year...starts throwing some shot in the dark sleeper picks in his mock draft then hopes something sticks. Look up some mocks from the past 5-10 years, he always throws in a head scratcher.

Sometimes he hits - see Jason Babin.

Sometimes he misses - see Maurice Stovall.

Overall his analysis is no more insightful than CHFF's Bozo the idiot monkey.

Did you happen to see Quinn at the combine workout. Wearing a giant diamond stud earring during the field session. For a guy that accepts illegal jewelry gifts, you would think he would have a more modest approach. Even the TV "experts" were commenting on his decision to go all blingy. Seems this guy is into all the spoils that go with being a high profile athlete. Do you really think this Quinn is a BB kind of player

I guess I'm baffled at why people point out he wore a diamond earing.. He's a pro now and can accept anything and everything..

Mayock is very high on this kid and from the prevailing judgment, this kid is going to be good... REAL GOOD..

If BB jokes around with OCHO CINCO, Brings Dillion and Moss to this team.. I say yes, Quinn is his type of player.. As long as he loves the game, thats #1 on BB list..

I guess I'm baffled at why people point out he wore a diamond earing.. He's a pro now and can accept anything and everything..

Mayock is very high on this kid and from the prevailing judgment, this kid is going to be good... REAL GOOD..

The big red flag I saw on Quinn at the Combine wasn't the earring. It was the fact that with a whole football season to prepare, he obviously had eschewed any training at all toward the 3-4 OLB position. The message was loud and clear: DE or bust.

BB has basically one year of tape on Quinn that's two years old. And Quinn didn't exactly kill it at the Combine. BB has three year's of tape on several other guys right up through their bowl games a couple months ago, plus their Senior Bowl practice notes - guys who performed at least as well as Quinn, if not better, at the Combine.

But Quinn is a guy he's going to trade UP for? WTF am I missing here?

Yeah. I've heard all the "reasons" - Quinn is a stud athlete, Quinn was obviously the best (two year's ago), etc. And I really don't give a crap if he accepted a bribe in college (if it wasn't for throwing a game) or that he might have been too flamboyant at the Combine with his accoutrements. All I really question is his ability to play well enough in the NFL to be worth one first round pick, let alone (potentially) two.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get all the slobbering love for this guy. I think the risk that he becomes a stud for some other team after we pass on him is much more acceptable than the risk of him busting after we've spent a couple high picks to trade up for him.

The big red flag I saw on Quinn at the Combine wasn't the earring. It was the fact that with a whole football season to prepare, he obviously had eschewed any training at all toward the 3-4 OLB position. The message was loud and clear: DE or bust.
This.

That and, if the Merriweather story has any merit the Pats are not going with anyone with questionable character.

If interviews were infallible indications of actual football ability, Tim Tebow would be owning the NFL right now. Guess what, he's not. I don't care if a player talks a good game, show it to me on film and most importantly on the field.

And please demonstrate this link where Mayock says that Quinn is the next coming of LT or in your words 'the best pass rusher he's ever seen in the draft'. I hope you're not relying solely on Mayock for this evaluation. Has Mayock commented on Quinn's ability to convert to a 3-4 defense? Because to get that high up in the draft, I just don't see the Pats giving up multiple picks for the privilege to take that gamble.

PS Accepting 'bribes' of $5k worth of jewelry to choose a school to play at doesn't throw up a big red flag for you? :eek: OK.

I will show it to you on film:
YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Virginia ('09)
YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Anthony Castonzo

Quinn absolutely destroyed Virginia in this game in 2009 in the first clip. In the second clip he consistenly beat Anthony Costanzo in 09 getting a few sacks and multiple pressures and also collapsing the pocket and making an impact on every pass play. Costanzo won 2 plays in this whole clip and every other play Quinn won.

I am not solely relying on Mayock either. Mike Lombardi who worked with BB raves about him and has him rated higher than Bowers. He said hes the best pass rusher in the draft and will be an elite player in the league. He said don't listen to people about how he didnt produce vs top competition. He said statistically he didn't but they said the same thing about Dwight Freeney when Bryant Mckinne allegedly shut him down. He said the reality was Freeney dominated him on tape he just didnt get a sack or a lot of tackles. He said always go back to the tape and Quinn has great tape.

I am only advocating giving up pick 60 for Quinn and 17 if we can still land Wilkerson at 28. I think swapping firsts and giving up a late second isnt that big a price to pay for the best pass rushing OLB in the draft. Adding Quinn and Wilkerson to the front 7 of this defense is my dream draft. Sprinkle in a few OL in the second and third rounds and I am happy.

if he dose go in the first round it will be to the jets or packers there is no way in hell that BB will draft him at #17 Robert Quinn is the only pure pass rusher i could see BB takeing at 17

BB has basically one year of tape on Quinn that's two years old. And Quinn didn't exactly kill it at the Combine. BB has three year's of tape on several other guys right up through their bowl games a couple months ago, plus their Senior Bowl practice notes - guys who performed at least as well as Quinn, if not better, at the Combine.

There are two years of tape on Quinn. The guy started twelve games as a true freshman. If two years of tape are not enough, then I would like to ask why everybody is so high on J.J. Watt? He only played defensive end for two years too, yet everyone is praising him as the second coming of Richard Seymour and entertaining the idea of trading up for the guy...

There are two years of tape on Quinn. The guy started twelve games as a true freshman. If two years of tape are not enough, then I would like to ask why everybody is so high on J.J. Watt? He only played defensive end for two years too, yet everyone is praising him as the second coming of Richard Seymour and entertaining the idea of trading up for the guy...

1) Freshman/sophomore tape vs junior/senior tape. Players are more physically developed the older they get, and therefore it's less of a projection to see how they will transition to the NFL. Who knows? Quinn may have peaked already, and is on the decline, but none of us can know for sure.

2) Star vs self-made man. Quinn has been a superstar ever since he survived a brain tumor and was a top HS recruit. Watt, on the other hand, was a walk on who sold pizzas in order to make enough money for tuition before his indomitable work ethic paid off and the school awarded him a scholarship.

3) On a related note, maturity and mindset: Watt just seems to carry himself like a Patriot. He's mature, intelligent, hardworking, relentless on the field, generous off the field (started his own charities before he had the money to fund them yet, and stuck with them), and generally showed impressive improvement from game to game this season. His play at the end of the year was radically better than his play at the beginning of the year.

That said, I do like Quinn. I think he'll be a heck of a pass rusher. I just no longer think he'll be an OLB, sadly.

So. This is a Brooks Reed thread. Oops.

Like him. Think he should go late second. Probably will go higher, thanks to the artificial boost of the combine. If he's there at 60, I say snag him.

anybody else think Ryan Kerrigan is a sleeper at 28

Not unless your definition of "sleeper" is different than mine. He's been one of the guys this board's been talking about for two months as a possibility at #17.

I will show it to you on film:
YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Virginia ('09)
YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Anthony Castonzo

Quinn absolutely destroyed Virginia in this game in 2009 in the first clip. In the second clip he consistenly beat Anthony Costanzo in 09 getting a few sacks and multiple pressures and also collapsing the pocket and making an impact on every pass play. Costanzo won 2 plays in this whole clip and every other play Quinn won.

I am not solely relying on Mayock either. Mike Lombardi who worked with BB raves about him and has him rated higher than Bowers. He said hes the best pass rusher in the draft and will be an elite player in the league. He said don't listen to people about how he didnt produce vs top competition. He said statistically he didn't but they said the same thing about Dwight Freeney when Bryant Mckinne allegedly shut him down. He said the reality was Freeney dominated him on tape he just didnt get a sack or a lot of tackles. He said always go back to the tape and Quinn has great tape.

I am only advocating giving up pick 60 for Quinn and 17 if we can still land Wilkerson at 28. I think swapping firsts and giving up a late second isnt that big a price to pay for the best pass rushing OLB in the draft. Adding Quinn and Wilkerson to the front 7 of this defense is my dream draft. Sprinkle in a few OL in the second and third rounds and I am happy.
Yes, Lombardi identifies Quinn as the best "pass rusher" in this draft. I believe he has a valid argument, certainly Quinn at the Combine demonstrated that unique ability to 'bend' around a sharp edge.

NE has a "pass rusher," TBC. He's made major strides in his run defense and coverage skills; he's learned to play assignments; he's provided veteran leadership; he was a 7th round pick who was a stud "pass rusher" in college.

It is my belief that NE is looking to draft an OLB who can rush the passer, set a hard edge in the run game, drop into coverage against TE, RB, and even slot receivers, and play his assignments. Mr. Quinn, as noted by patchick above and corroborated by my own lying eyes, looked "unprepared" (my word) for the Combine. He appeared athletically limited for the OLB role, he did not appear to have worked to improve his presentation for drills which were known well in advance, he contrasted poorly with his team mate, DL Marvin Austin, who reportedly was the highest immaturity risk of the North Carolina prospects suspended for the season. Austin kicked butt in the Combine drills and in his opportunity at the Shrine Game, by contrast Quinn appears to have snacked on twinkies and done the bare minimum to prepare. It raises the question of Quinn's maturity and drive to succeed, I currently have a far greater respect for Austin and would even consider a high second for him. Quinn not so much.

As an OLB prospect, I give Quinn a third round grade, maybe late second if he interviews well, but a poor interview would kill his chance. I'm more interested in Bowers who did play OLB in a 3-4; he also played assignment football which required him to set a hard edge and drop into coverage. He looked like a NE OLB in the games I watched, as did his counterpart Branch who will be coming out next year. I'm wondering if the knee injury murmurs would allow him to slide into range of NE? Until then I'm inclined towards Kerrigan and Reed early.

Kiper does this around this time every year...starts throwing some shot in the dark sleeper picks in his mock draft then hopes something sticks. Look up some mocks from the past 5-10 years, he always throws in a head scratcher.

Sometimes he hits - see Jason Babin.

Sometimes he misses - see Maurice Stovall.

Overall his analysis is no more insightful than CHFF's Bozo the idiot monkey.

The Texans usually bite. Babin and Kareem Jackson last year (another one who shot up the boards late)

I think the Steelers will grab Reed in the bottom of the round..Sounds like a Steelers type of guy

I think the Steelers will grab Reed in the bottom of the round..Sounds like a Steelers type of guy

If they go best player available I could see it. I think their offensive line needs a lot of work and I'm not sure if they would be willing to wait until the63rd pick to address it.

Last edited:
If they go best player available I could see it. I think their offensive line needs a lot of work and I'm not sure if they would be willing to wait until the63rd pick to address it.

If they don't address the O-line, something's wrong over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back