PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper 2-round draft: WR Justin Hunter and—

Don't get the Honey Badger love. The Pats just signed their slot corner for four years. Drafting Mathieu would either mean one of the two is starting outside or one of the two is the dime back, and neither makes much sense.

Don't get the Honey Badger love. The Pats just signed their slot corner for four years. Drafting Mathieu would either mean one of the two is starting outside or one of the two is the dime back, and neither makes much sense.

The only way I can see Mathieu being drafted before the 7th by NE is if Dennard somehow gets significant jail time.

The only way I can see Mathieu being drafted before the 7th by NE is if Dennard somehow gets significant jail time.

I don't think that would have an impact anyway, because like Sciz said, he's not an outside CB. I really don't see him transitioning too well to the NFL. He's going to occasionally make some splash plays so people will say "why didn't we take this guy." But he is also going to get beat in coverage consistently, especially against bigger WRs. Over-hyped and over-valued to me.

Mathieu's two biggest selling points are the ability to force turnovers and his outstanding special teams play. Now I wonder which NFL HC values those attributes? Add in the fact that we've spoken to him both at the combine and on a visit and I'd suggest the interest is very real.

The question is, how will they value him? Considering the fact that BB doesn't see that many needs for the team (trading away draft picks), I wouldn't be surprised if they take him if he's available in the 3rd - after all, BB took a backup QB there two years ago.

Mathieu's two biggest selling points are the ability to force turnovers and his outstanding special teams play. Now I wonder which NFL HC values those attributes? Add in the fact that we've spoken to him both at the combine and on a visit and I'd suggest the interest is very real.

The question is, how will they value him? Considering the fact that BB doesn't see that many needs for the team (trading away draft picks), I wouldn't be surprised if they take him if he's available in the 3rd - after all, BB took a backup QB there two years ago.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that we brought him in after speaking with him at the combine. Combine interviews are only 15 min and there is no way anyone could get through all of his issues in that time. I think its purely due diligence and making sure they get all the information on him. They may have some interest, because like you said BB values special teams play. But I don't see any way we draft him. He will be overvalued by another team and will likely be gone by our 3rd round pick. Even if he did fall I wouldn't touch him until the 5th at the earliest. He's a pure special teamer in the NFL that will be abused in coverage.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that we brought him in after speaking with him at the combine. Combine interviews are only 15 min and there is no way anyone could get through all of his issues in that time. I think its purely due diligence and making sure they get all the information on him. They may have some interest, because like you said BB values special teams play. But I don't see any way we draft him. He will be overvalued by another team and will likely be gone by our 3rd round pick. Even if he did fall I wouldn't touch him until the 5th at the earliest. He's a pure special teamer in the NFL that will be abused in coverage.

The fact that they're having him in for a visit at least tells us that he passed that initial interview - that the team is more comfortable now than it previously was. I'm not saying we will draft him, but to dismiss him outright considering the level of interest shown and the fact that he ticks those two boxes so well seems folly to me and a bit of projecting.

We have had more than enough smurf DBs. :mad:

The fact that they're having him in for a visit at least tells us that he passed that initial interview - that the team is more comfortable now than it previously was. I'm not saying we will draft him, but to dismiss him outright considering the level of interest shown and the fact that he ticks those two boxes so well seems folly to me and a bit of projecting.

How much can you learn about someone in 15 min though? All this meeting says to me is they didn't dismiss him straight away. Whether the first interview wen't well or not, I don't think they could possibly get enough information in that time period to make an informed decision. Could they have real interest in him? sure. But I don't think having in him for a visit means they have any more interest in him that anyone else. If anything I think it means he has more issues that need to be worked through for them to make an informed evaluation on him.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee that we are going to trade out of our first round pick, but I love Justin Hunter. Personally I think we should try to get hunter and Jamar Taylor. Both are extremely talented players.

I think we should stay away from the honey badger, simply because it's an unnecessary pick for what the Pats are looking for in a CB

I saw a lot of LSU games and Mathieu made an impact in every one of them, especially the big games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes a solid NFL player and not just making a flashy play here and there. As for BB drafting him....I would not be surprised but considering the quantity of picks we have, without trading down a few times, I doubt BB takes him. If we sign a few more FA's and trade down once or twice then yeah, Mathieu could be a Pat and you will like him even if you don't right now.

I saw a lot of LSU games and Mathieu made an impact in every one of them, especially the big games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes a solid NFL player and not just making a flashy play here and there. As for BB drafting him....I would not be surprised but considering the quantity of picks we have, without trading down a few times, I doubt BB takes him. If we sign a few more FA's and trade down once or twice then yeah, Mathieu could be a Pat and you will like him even if you don't right now.

I also have seen a lot of LSU games and there is no doubt he is special, but he is also hanging out with a bad crowd and has a ton of bad influences in his life.

His tackling will never be anything near NFL level, but his instincts and coverage skills are excellent when he is not twisted on dope.

Against Georgia in the SEC championship game, his ST play ignited the entire LSU team, and showed that his teammates love the kid.

Whoever drafts this kid will need to hire a FT babysitter to squat on him, because of his utter lack of maturity.

and coverage skills are excellent when he is not twisted on dope.

Dang, I wonder how Hernandez managed to find success in the NFL, all twisted on dope and such.

Dang, I wonder how Hernandez managed to find success in the NFL, all twisted on dope and such.

Has he really had success in the NFL? Seems to me he spends a lot of time either on the trainer's table or limping around on the field.

Has he really had success in the NFL? Seems to me he spends a lot of time either on the trainer's table or limping around on the field.

Wow. Just wow. I admit to have completely forgotten about your bizarre and unhinged player evals.

I'd say at least 50 percent of NFL players do/have smoked weed. How can they tie their shoes, all twisted on dat dope?

Clueless!!!!!!!!

That's because idiots like Mel Kiper probably get some lackey to compile a list of team needs and then bases it off of that without realizing someone like the Patriots re-signed their slot CB. Because if they were gonna draft a CB in the 2nd round it wouldn't Mathieu. It would be Wreh-Wilson, Amerson, Slay, Poyer or Ryan.

I look at Justin Hunter the same way I looked at Jonathan Baldwin a few years ago. Great physical specimen with no hands. A WR that is that big but can't catch may as well put on another 20-30 pounds and become a blocking TE.

I'm all for the Patriots taking a good, long look at Honey Badger, but I'm not for them taking him in the first two rounds.

Y'all are underrating Ty Mathieu and how he would fit well into our schemes defensively and on special teams.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back