PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King: Pats explore moving up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. OL picks are very important, but often overlooked at by typical fans wanting that more elusive, flashier type.

The games are won in the trenches, no doubt about that. I would be happy with a 2nd rounder, and also a 3rd-4th rounder, at the very least. It certainly needs to be addressed, at least for depth, camp and positional competition, etc. I really do think it's 'the' key in keeping our hopes alive, gotta protect that QB.

I would also like to see the team look for a blocking TE or a big fullback in the late rounds who might help out the OL on passing downs and also add to STs - I simply don't trust just the OL to keep Brady intact or the current TEs ,especially last years result of not having some blocking besides the OL

I would also like to see the team look for a blocking TE or a big fullback in the late rounds who might help out the OL on passing downs and also add to STs - I simply don't trust just the OL to keep Brady intact or the current TEs ,especially last years result of not having some blocking besides the OL

Yes, good point. I think the addition of Baker, along with the continued blocking improvement of Watson will help, but I would be very happy to see that picked too. I think there's a good chance of it.

I also think Dante and BB will be sure to drive the message home, as far as getting everyone on the same page--that good RB/FB chipping, and improved TE blocking assignments are without excuse this year.

We may be overlooking the obvious.

This rumor is either true or untrue.

Why would BB issue misinformation of this sort?

Many reasons. A good case in point might be 2003 - when the Patriots had a bevvy of top picks - enough to move up and grab a coveted player.

Rumor was in 2003 that the Patriots wanted Dewayne Robertson. Whether that was true or just a ruse we'll never know for sure - personally I think it was a ruse used to prompt the Jets to blow THEIR two 1st round picks to move up and grab Robertson.

Even after the trade went down and the Jets had the #4 pick, BB was STILL making noise about trading up to #3 to trump the Jets - and the Jets were in talks with Detroit to move up to #2 and spend even MORE money on Robertson and lose another draft pick in the process.

How did things work out?

Pretty well for the Pats, picking up Ty Warren at #13 and turning their other pick into Vince Wilfork the next year - meanwhile there's a long list of players the Jets could have had other than Robertson... including Warren, Terrell Suggs, Troy Polamalu, Terence Newman, Marcus Trufant, Calvin Pace, Dallas Clark... the list goes on and on

I just never stop second guessing motivation during times like these.

I don't believe any of this mis-direction by the Patriots and Peter King.

I'm under the impression that the Patriots are trying to drive up the price for the top ten picks and/or keep the Jags and Packers too busy to listen to the Jets (and Redskins, Bills). The rumors seem too strong that every team in the top 10 is trying to trade down, which equates to too much supply and less demand (i.e. buyers market). Sanchez can be gotten from Seattle, but Freeman is the end of the road for teams looking for a QB.

Det. - Stafford, StL. - Jason Smith, KC - T. Jackson, Sea. - Sanchez, Clev. - Orakpo, Cin. - A. Smith, Oak. - DHB, ___________.

Curry, Oher (before the Niners and Bills), Maclin, Crabtree, Raji, and Matthews (before Houston).

I think Belichick is still in shock of drafting a WR early in the day 3 years ago - He probably has nightmares of drafting #17 in his sleep.

I think we pick a WR on day two or very late day one like my binky Massaquoi - Don't see one before #58 anyway

I cant tell if you are joking or not. But I can tell you that with the amount of decisions that BB must make and the amount of work he puts in to build this franchise, there is no way that he loses sleep second guessing a draft choice in the second round that didn't work out.
I recognize that people on this board were obsessed with Chad Jackson. To BB it was another of many draft choice decisions, and one of hundreds of players who have come through Foxborough. He felt it was a good decision at the time, probably attempted to learn why it turned out the way it did, and then MOVED ON.
I swear some of the posts on this board so over exagearate the importance of things. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading "I still can't believe I didn't do anything when that hot girl smiled at me 15 years ago".

If we move into the top ten it's for a top flight LT not a dt or wr.

I don't believe any of this mis-direction by the Patriots and Peter King.

I'm under the impression that the Patriots are trying to drive up the price for the top ten picks and/or keep the Jags and Packers too busy to listen to the Jets (and Redskins, Bills). The rumors seem too strong that every team in the top 10 is trying to trade down, which equates to too much supply and less demand (i.e. buyers market). Sanchez can be gotten from Seattle, but Freeman is the end of the road for teams looking for a QB.

Det. - Stafford, StL. - Jason Smith, KC - T. Jackson, Sea. - Sanchez, Clev. - Orakpo, Cin. - A. Smith, Oak. - DHB, ___________.

Curry, Oher (before the Niners and Bills), Maclin, Crabtree, Raji, and Matthews (before Houston).

A) YOu have totally confused me. Why would BB care if the Jets, or anyone else trades up? You make it sound like the Jets trading up to get Sanchez is certainly good for them and bad for us. I completely disagree. Making that trade may even set them back further when Sanchez because Tommy Maddox 2.0.
B) No way Curry, the best player in the draft, falls that far.

This morning, Mike Lombardi wrote that the "Rams, Chiefs and Jags are willing to move out of the top ten at any price ..."

If that's the case, why wouldn't BB make a semi-lowball offer for #8?

This morning, Mike Lombardi wrote that the "Rams, Chiefs and Jags are willing to move out of the top ten at any price ..."

If that's the case, why wouldn't BB make a semi-lowball offer for #8?

by any price he means a price they like

A) YOu have totally confused me. Why would BB care if the Jets, or anyone else trades up? You make it sound like the Jets trading up to get Sanchez is certainly good for them and bad for us. I completely disagree. Making that trade may even set them back further when Sanchez because Tommy Maddox 2.0.

BB cares if the Jets move up to grab Sanchez without paying the highest possible price. The Redskins can drive up the price as well, but if the Pats are interested in moving up, the Jets might feel the fire to move up even more (while scratching their heads as to who the Pats are targeting).

There is always a way. I'm not knocking his talent or character, but I have issues with his position in either a 34 or 43 defense and the value of taking a LB in the top 5. Then you take into account the two QBs, four quasi-elite LTs and you see teams ignoring Curry for the high-ceiling, better valued players.

Aside from the salary cap issue (which is probably insurmountable), I wouldn't put it past BB to trade 23 + 47 to Jax and draft Aaron Curry, and then trade 34 + 89 to Carolina for Peppers, giving us an LB corps of Peppers-Curry-Mayo-Thomas. Then draft a safety at 58. That would certainly throw the league into an uproar. The Commish would have to find an excuse to take away another 1st round pick for doing something which must obviously be illegal. :D

Read the Peppers threads .. it may well be that isnt as far fetched as it sounds:singing:

Um, yah, because the Pats are all about leaking the truth. I smell bullsh*t. ;)

He may be the best player in the draft, but its really hard for a LB to play up to top 10 money. Even if hes the best linebacker in football, hes still overpaid. If you take a QB, or a DE, or OT, if hes an average starter, hes not overpaid.

The way I see it, assuming this isn't a smokescreen, is that there will be one of a multitude of players available. Orakpo, Crabtree and Andre Smith, IMO, would be the top targets. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Orakpo? He is projected right in that 8-12 range, and would definitely bring the DE/LB versatility and stability to the last OLB spot.
I've been hearing bad things about Crabtree. That's ridiculous. Crabtree is the best player in this draft, IMO. This guy will absolutely perform at a high level right away. If he's there at 8, he is absolutely worth trading up for.
I think for them to trade up, it will have to be someone who can definitely come in and start. I don't see it being Tyson Jackson or even Raji because both of them would come in as backups. Since it would have to be a starter, I think it's down to Crabtree, Ayers, Orakpo, Curry if he's there, Smith or Oher. If Smith or Oher were the pick, I would expect Light to get slid to RT and Kaczur to move to swing tackle, which would make me ecstatic.

More than likely this is a smokescreen, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that BB has 2 or 3 players at the top of the draft that he thinks are sure-fire impact players. He's probably exploring options to see how high he can get into the top ten, so that if one of these players slips he can reach up and grab them. Finding their range doesn't mean the Pats actually have to pull the trigger on a deal until they're sure someone they love is going to be there.

If you can move up to 10, with 23 & 47. You do it! If you can do it before the draft than who cares whom knows what and when. If you have one player targeted you wait till the draft unfolds, if you want to simply shorten your wish list, and gaurantee yourself one of a few players you move up ahead of time. Then you don't have to sit around and 'hope' one or two guys fall to you.

I've been hearing bad things about Crabtree. That's ridiculous. Crabtree is the best player in this draft, IMO. This guy will absolutely perform at a high level right away. If he's there at 8, he is absolutely worth trading up for.

That's right, because everyone knows top flight wide receivers always come in and make an immediate impact on a team - NOT. The high percentage of wide receiver divas is also well known and, according to reports, Crabtree may fit right in with that group - which does not make him a good candidate for the Patriots.

That's right, because everyone knows top flight wide receivers always come in and make an immediate impact on a team - NOT. The high percentage of wide receiver divas is also well known and, according to reports, Crabtree may fit right in with that group - which does not make him a good candidate for the Patriots.

borat_not.jpg

Sorry, whenever anyone says "NOT" it always reminds me of Borat. Randy Moss was the posterchild of WR divas and he's on the Patriots. I don't think broad generalizations like this work when saying a player would or would not be a Patriot's player.

That said, I don't see the need to trade up and get Crabtree given the needs elsewhere.

Last edited:
If they move up, I see them taking a left tackle. Possibly a DE/OLB, which would likely be Orakpo. They aren't going to take Curry. What's the point? He might be the best LB in the draft but I think we are fine with Mayo/Guyton/Bruschi at ILB. That would really be over-investing in a position when we could improve the team by a lot more by selecting another position to upgrade.

People are looking for flaws. He's the best player in this draft, I fully expect him to be arrogant. You really think he'd come in with a bigger personality than Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back