2004: Rams
1999: Cowboys
1999: Lions
1991: Jets
1990: Saints
1985: Browns *Division Champions*

8-8 team playoff winning percentage: .200%
Your quote...
"Or, lose 8 out of your first 12 and still make the playoffs." First time in history a team has started the year 4-8 and made the playoffs.

The part of this that shows King to be the dink he truly is, is the "violins" comment. The vast majority of Patriots fans I have heard from have accepted this turn of events as just an example of how things can somewhat be unjust, but that it happens. He makes it sound as though there has been this uprising from Patriots fans that we were screwed. Not the case. But, the truth hasn't been important to Peter Dink since Spygate.
You are absolutely right. As you all know I am a Charger fan. I have been amazed and impressed with the almost universal good sportsmanship by the Patriot fans here regarding this issue. I tip my cap to all of you.

You are absolutely right. As you all know I am a Charger fan. I have been amazed and impressed with the almost universal good sportsmanship by the Patriot fans here regarding this issue. I tip my cap to all of you.

Well there is absolutely nothing to complain about in the first place. The only way the Pats would get into the playoffs is if the NFL did away with divisions and took the top 6 records. We wouldn't even get in under the old 3-division alignment.

Well there is absolutely nothing to complain about in the first place. The only way the Pats would get into the playoffs is if the NFL did away with divisions and took the top 6 records. We wouldn't even get in under the old 3-division alignment.
Still, I am impressed. It is my opinion that no one in the Playoffs was playing as good as the Patriots at the end of the season, including the Colts, who have won 9 in a row.

I actually meant to say one division playing weaker DIVISIONS getting on over teams from a DIVISION playing stronger divisions.

If you go with best records, the risk of a highly competitive division (not necessarily better division, see NFC black & blue) knocking itself out is huge and also quite unfair when two teams from an uncompetitive division basically could always get in.

The division rivalry would suffer, winning division games would lose it's extreme importance and you would be looking at hockey style playoff seedings. Teams in the 3-10 seeding range would have nothing to play for at the end of the season, they cannot get the bye and are pretty much assured of getting in by December 1 or mid Dec. The only excitement would come from the say the teams trying to make the final two spots in the 11-16 seed logjam.

While 9-7 division winning teams (actually the 8-8 team may go deep this year) usually do indeed suck because they usually come from weak divisions, it is possible for the reverse to occur and that is the 9-7 team from a Strong division that knocks itself out by splitting the home and home games against each other. That is the problem I could see occurring. It almost happened in the NFC East this year, had Dallas not choked down the stretch and the Giants lost one more game.....it is possible that no teams from that strong division would have been in, given the seeding style.

I just meant the extreme case. There will always be some unfairness no matter how you tinker.

I like another posters idea of just eliminating non winning records. I can't see anything wrong with that. Regardless of your schedule, if you can't go better than .500, let a good record team in.

Still, I am impressed. It is my opinion that no one in the Playoffs was playing as good as the Patriots at the end of the season, including the Colts, who have won 9 in a row.

Too tough to tell what would have happened. We were clicking but we hadn't really put together a good all-around game against a quality team. The Giants last year didn't have any impressive victories before the playoffs and they literally played best when it counted most. Maybe we could have done it - I think we could have used the elements to help with our shaky pass D, and the offense seemed to be productive in the worst conditions (which you couldn't say in '07). All the same a team like Baltimore or Pittsburgh could have eaten us alive. Not worth losing sleep over. We survived and left it to fate, and fate didn't come through. Oh well, we'll be at an advantage in '09 with the extended offseason. Look for the juggernaut to return, no matter who is playing QB :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes