PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King on an uncapped year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
RESTRICTIONS FOR THE TOP EIGHT TEAMS IN FOOTBALL: If the uncapped year is reached, the teams with the best eight records in football in 2009 will be severely restricted from jumping into the pool. It's still not precisely determined how the system would work, but let's say the Patriots are one of the top eight and want to sign a free-agent to a five-year, $20-million contract. They'd have to lose their own player or players to contracts totaling $20 million before they could sign the free-agent they want. Conceptually, that's how this clause in the deal is going to work, but the exact mechanics of it are not clear yet.

The purpose is very clear: The best teams are going to have tight leashes in free agency. And I can tell you from talking to a few traditionally good teams at the league meetings last week, they're not happy about it.

From Peter King's column today about one of the consequences about an uncapped year in 2010. I thought this was interesting, especially since this is a Pats forum and the Pats usually have one of the league's better records.

Other notes:
1) Free agency doesn't kick in until a player's 6th season in the league.
2) Use of two transition tags in a given season.

If this were going to happen it would ruin teams every year. Thats one of the stupidest rules ive ever heard of brought up.

if u have an uncapped year....u cant limit only select teams....what kind of crap is taht?

then there really wont have any more dynasties

If this were going to happen it would ruin teams every year. Thats one of the stupidest rules ive ever heard of brought up.

My guess is they put that in there as an 'incentive' for the owners, so they have a serious, vested, interest in getting a new deal done, and avoiding uncapped years (and strikes, and the other BS that could come with it).

If this is the case, it would be in the Patriots interest to PURPOSELY TANK the previous season.

I'm serious.

If I were owner, I'd say: TANK IT, and then let's sign all the all stars on the market!!! And then let's win the next 3 or 4 Super Bowls instead of vying to possibly win just one.

Who thinks up this stuff?

From Peter King's column today about one of the consequences about an uncapped year in 2010. I thought this was interesting, especially since this is a Pats forum and the Pats usually have one of the league's better records.

Other notes:

I wonder how this works for a teams OWN free agents.......would we have been able to sign Moss, Asante, Gay, etc??

Great, the NFL is adopting communism. :bricks:

The Patriots would benefit in the uncapped year from the

increase in required service time from four years to six years

to be a UFA. They have a very large number of players who

become UFAs in 2010 including Mankins, Kaczur, and Hobbs.

The Patriots could also tag three players like Light, Watson,

and Seymour who have 6 years of service and whose contracts

expire after 2009 with franchise and transition tags.

I loved the Eli quote about winning it next year. Something like "Hey, it felt good, let's do it again."

Yep, it's that easy folks!

Heavy lies the crown muthafugga!

I wonder how this works for a teams OWN free agents.......would we have been able to sign Moss, Asante, Gay, etc??

Which part are you referring to?

Ominously, in big letters on NFLPlayers.com right now is this quote from Gene Upshaw: "Once the cap is gone, it’s gone forever."

It's actually better in some ways, and worse in some ways, than it looks.

First off, the rules do NOT apply equally to all eight teams. The final four are the worst off.

Each of the four Clubs that participated in the NFC and AFC Championship games the Prior League Year shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract, except: (a) any Unrestricted Free Agent who acquired that status as a result of the NFL waiver system; (b) any Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the last League Year of the player’s most recent Player Contract; and (c) any Unrestricted Free Agent signed pursuant to Section 4 below.

This answer's fgssand's question--it would have no effect on resigning your own FAs.

The next four get one additional vehicle for signing UFAs:
(d) any Unrestricted Free Agent as follows:
(i) One such player for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of $4,925,000 or more; and
(ii) Any number of such players for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, not including any amount attributed to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this Subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

Here is the "Section 4", to which King refers:
Replacement of Free Agents Signed by Other Club: Each of the eight Clubs subject to the provisions of this Article shall be permitted to negotiate and sign one Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract (“New Player”) for each Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the prior League Year, who has signed with another Club (“Previous Player”), so long as the Player Contract for the New Player shall have a first year Salary of no more than the first year Salary of the Player Contract signed by the Previous Player with the New Club, and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, excluding any amounts attributable to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this Subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

But here's the real kick in the groin:
Section 7. Trade Limitation: No Club subject to the provisions of this Article may, for one League Year, trade for a player it otherwise would not be permitted to sign as an Unrestricted Free Agent as a result of the provisions in this Article.

The way I understand this is that if a team resigns all its FAs, and doesn't lose any, it can't trade for UFAs, period, but it can go after RFAs. And, of course, the waiver wire always remains open.

The interesting question is what happens in future years; it's not at all clear to me that this would(n't) apply in years after the first uncapped one.

But remember that there's poison pills on both sides--the NFLPA accepted a salary cap in exchange for earlier FA. If the cap goes away, there are going to be some unhappy fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-year players. :) / :(

Other notes:

So, tank a few games in 2009?:D

So, tank a few games in 2009?:D

I think they use the last four playoff teams in each league as the final 8, or 8 best as opposed to 8 best regular season records. It's the only part of this they thought through.

Woah, this is a great idea! Sounds like an awesome time for all involved, hell yeah!

Now I can say I was the only person in America to respond positively to this idea, regardless if I actually meant it.

Ominously, in big letters on NFLPlayers.com right now is this quote from Gene Upshaw: "Once the cap is gone, it’s gone forever."

Gene Upshaw is so short-term.

The NFL would eventually lose megabucks if only the best financed teams were competitive every year.

TV revenues would plummet.

Last edited:
Gene Upshaw is so short-term.

The NFL would eventually lose megabucks if only he best financed teams were competition every year.

TV revenues would plummet.

I don't believe that anyone has ever claimed that Gene Upshaw was intelligent.

Peter King is wrong. A team can use a transition tag or the franchise tag in an capped year. In 2010 a team can use a franchise and a transition tag or two transition tags.

Footnotes:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/02/Free_Agency_Primer.aspx

From the CBA:

Each Club shall be permitted to designate one Unrestricted Free Agent as a Transition Player in the Final
League Year. In addition, in each League Year during the term of this Agreement, each Club shall be permitted to
designate one Unrestricted Free Agent or Restricted Free Agent as a Transition Player in lieu of designating a Franchise
Player, if such Franchise Player designation is available to such Club, in addition to the Transition Player designation
permitted by the immediately preceding sentence, during the same designation period as the Franchise Player
designation period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The rules for uncapped seasons in the NFL are pretty damn strange. I remember a lot of this coming up before the CBA was extended in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes