PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King MMQB: Conditions ripe for charged up draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/21/mmqb/index.html?eref=si_topstories

Let's make a deal
Conditions are ripe for a charged up draft this year
Posted: Monday March 24, 2008 1:19AM; Updated: Monday March 24, 2008 2:17AM

Have you noticed something about the last three drafts? Something about a lack of electricity?

I'm not saying there definitely will be more electricity in this year's draft. I am saying, though, it has a chance to be different because 10 of the top 37 picks (and 18 of the top 70) are held by five franchises I expect to be working hard to play Let's Make a Deal. They are:

• New England, choosing seventh, 62nd and 69th. In their eight years running the Patriots, coach Bill Belichick and Pioli have made 46 trades; 25 of which have come on draft weekends. Unless the Patriots can find Mr. Goodbar with the seventh pick of the draft, and my feeling is that man must be able to rush the passer, I expect them to set modern telephone records for trying to dump out of that pick.

You've got Belichick. Johnson told me once that of the men he worked with, Parcells and Belichick were the two easiest with which to make deals. Tannenbaum made two trades in the first two rounds last year. Jones is tight with Parcells. Tannenbaum is tight with Parcells. Pioli is Parcells' son-in-law. Parcells mentored Belichick. Pioli mentored Dimitroff.

Of the five teams, I expect only the Jets and Patriots to steer clear of each other in the next five weeks. There's been a public falling-out between the former close friends who coach both teams, and that falling-out extends to Pioli and Tannenbaum. But aside from that, there will be trade discussions by the five previously mentioned teams.

The most logical move up would be Dallas, because Jones likes McFadden. I expect other names -- maybe the Ohio State defensive end, Vernon Gholston -- to get hot. Hot enough to make Belichick froth? We'll see.

"The advantage to having a good relationship with someone you want to trade with is simple,'' Johnson said. "There's some trust there. If it comes down to dealing with someone you don't know, you're not going to be inclined to believe them when it comes down to making a deal or not making it. But there were guys I could say, 'Trust me. I'm not taking advantage of you on this one.' And they'd believe me, just like I'd believe them if they said something like that to me.''

The draft kicks off April 26 at 3 p.m. We can only hope Jones gets over-smitten with McFadden, or that there's a run on Gholston because of his pass-rush ability, or Ryan starts getting hot. Something. The right drafters are in position. Let's hope a couple of them get itchy for action.

King's draft is among the worst I've seen.

Jake Long falls to 6? Sure.

And I just can't wrap my head around either Dorsey or Ellis to the Pats... are they trading Seymour or Warren? Moving to a 4-3 with no DE in sight? Or just stockpiling talent?

This was right up there with Pro Football Talk's mock draft in stinkery (The one where we select Ryan Clady while Jake Long is still on the board). The comment about Rodgers-Cromartie being forced to start immediately was laughable.

I see that he managed to get Arlen Specter's comments in there. We have seen it in politics for years. Now, we see it in sports. How the national media sets the agenda.

I see that he managed to get Arlen Specter's comments in there. We have seen it in politics for years. Now, we see it in sports. How the national media sets the agenda.

I agree, ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could guess what that Specter comment meant it was so vague.

Then King goes on to make this comment, hey Peter maybe they are all too busy focusing on nonsense like "spygate.":

Aggravating/Enjoyable Travel Note of the Week
Rant of the Week:
I paid $62 to fill my 18-gallon tank with gas on Thursday in New Jersey. With $4-a-gallon gas around the corner (I hear it's already here for premium in California), I have only one question: Where's the outrage? Why are our elected officials doing nothing -- nothing that any of us can see -- about it? I can afford gas, but how about the people who cannot? I can't believe we just let things like this happen in our society.

I refuse to give Peter Queen a hit on his byline. After reading this thread, the justification for my continued boycott has been confirmed.

Jerry Jones is no longer "tight" with Parcells. I would be surprised if these two did any deals on draft weekend.

And I won't even bother responding to his travel note of the week; at least, not in the draft forum.

I agree, ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could guess what that Specter comment meant it was so vague.

Then King goes on to make this comment, hey Peter maybe they are all too busy focusing on nonsense like "spygate.":

Yeah...for a smart guy that really does write a wonderful column - this guy is really, really stupid over this entire Spygate affair. Just because he was given grief (and deservedly so) at the beginning when no one would talk to him - he continues to take his shots at the Patriots.

Well Peter, skarew you and the column you write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down