PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kinda happy the Colts got Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jays52

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So this isn't any kind of x's and o's or player evaluation thing. This is just an appreciation of a good rivalry. You know, I kind of miss hating Indy, and as they won a Superbowl (I know, I know, I've heard every excuse and evangelize two myself), I kind of grew an odd affection for them. When Manning went down, I felt genuinely bad for them.

After all the nonsense with Irsay going insane on Twitter, and the insanity over the Manning trade, I am really kind of glad they got what seems a future great. I wokeup this morning to Total Access and couldn't help but root for Indy and Luck. It will be especially aggravating and compelling if Luck develops quickly and the story becomes the young gun vs his predecessor's arch rival. Could you imagine how emotional, irrational, and excited you'd get for this game? It would be so cool.

Sorry. Probably just a weird thought brought on by sleep depravation, but it certainly struck a chord with me when I saw the presser.

I'm with you!

I really enjoyed our rivalry with the Colts, and I remember when I found out that Peyton wouldn't be playing, and then later that Peyton was traded, I was actually kind of sad. While at first I hated Peyton with a passion (2000-2005), I grew to respect him, and even to a point actually like him.

I know we'll never have that kind of awesome rivalry again, but if Luck pans out... who knows?

When Manning went down, I felt genuinely bad for them.
Yep, I don't like seeing the injuries that change a career or an era. The thing between he and Tom was very special. I feel glad that we get to see one or two more matchups with the Broncos.

But the Colts, I have no idea why we are still playing them. I thought the yearly matchups were due to the rivalry, but then we ended up with the Colts on our schedule again this year when we could have used a tougher team.

I certainly respected the IND rivalry, mainly because of the quality of teams and the fact that I just have a hard time actually 'hating' Indy.

They had a respectable group of guys, including Manning that just made it a bit more difficult for me to dislike. We had some incredible games, many of them close.

I'm not sure that I share the same enthusiasm as you do regarding them having Luck, but I certainly don't wish them ill will like I do Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or the Jets.

Last edited:
But the Colts, I have no idea why we are still playing them. I thought the yearly matchups were due to the rivalry, but then we ended up with the Colts on our schedule again this year when we could have used a tougher team.

We play the Colts this year due to the fact that we rotate divisions every year, and draw the AFC South this year.

In past years we played them because both teams came in first place in their respective divisions.

Edit: I say this respectfully, but didn't you receive 2 pages of answers in the thread you started on this same question a couple of days ago?

Last edited:
Meh...i would've preferred that one of the "bad luck" teams could've gotten a shot at a legit franchise QB.

Going from Manning to Luck by tanking their season i hope their new QB never gets a sniff of a playoff win.

colts won't be competing for a few years yet.

I would have prefered to have had Manning be part of the rivalry until the end of his career. That said, the thin air of Mile High may help extend Manning's career.

I think fans tend to like the Colts rivalry for two reasons:

1) The Colts were never a big trash talking team, so it never felt like there were games off the field.

2) It's a "safe" rivalry, meaning that both teams can have good records and play good games against each other without threat of losing out the division to one another. A Bills rivalry wouldn't be as comfortable in this regard, for example.

It was a good rivalry. Brady-Manning was something to appreciate. It won't come around like this again.

Plus, even though I think Manning is a bit of a jack*****, Colts fans are generally pretty annoying, and their team was run by the biggest jerk of them all - they were a much more enjoyable rival than everything else thrown at us in the AFC (Steelers, Ravens, whoever). Those teams, and fanbases, are pretty much garbage.

I'm with you!

I really enjoyed our rivalry with the Colts, and I remember when I found out that Peyton wouldn't be playing, and then later that Peyton was traded, I was actually kind of sad. While at first I hated Peyton with a passion (2000-2005), I grew to respect him, and even to a point actually like him.

I know we'll never have that kind of awesome rivalry again, but if Luck pans out... who knows?

We have that awesome rivalry right now, only we're playing the part of Indy.

I feel that any discussion of Luck should start with the way Indy tanked the season to get him. I remember having to listen to bs from fans of Indy when they accused Belichick of laying down for the last game vs Miami one year. Pardon me if I don't feel bad for them now that their team actually did it for an entire season

I also have little to no respect for Irsay, and if I feel sad for any fans it's those who were suckered in when he dangled Manning's return over their heads to sell them tickets.

I hope the Pats knock Indy and Luck into oblivion when they play them.

I'm ambivalent toward the Colts. I'm not sure I was even rooting against the Colts more I was rooting against Manning (because of his greatness). Now Manning is in Denver and I find myself rooting against Manning once again.

Last edited:
I never looked at it as a Colts/Pats rivalry, but more of a Manning vs Brady/BB rivalry. I always thought the rest of the team wasn't that special and that really showed last year.

The biggest issue I have with Peyton leaving Indy is that I can't use this toon I made anymore!

bradypunchsm.gif

We have that awesome rivalry right now, only we're playing the part of Indy.

I feel that any discussion of Luck should start with the way Indy tanked the season to get him. I remember having to listen to bs from fans of Indy when they accused Belichick of laying down for the last game vs Miami one year. Pardon me if I don't feel bad for them now that their team actually did it for an entire season

I hope the Pats knock Indy and Luck into oblivion when they play them.

Colts fans.
Neutered.
What ever will they do now?

begone.gif

Wipe away Stinky Indiots!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye