PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kind of understand the hate for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the rest of the league's fans are just kind of watching this slow, annoying march toward another coronation for the Pats, where we get to watch the hoodiest of the hoodies with his wry smile, Brady's golden boy grin & Bruschi holding up 4 fingers.

Fun...

As it should be my friend as it should be. Fear not, the dynamics will change in 2-3 years....

I understand the hatred --- some kinds of people are all bitter and jealous because their teams suck while the pats keep winning.

there's a certain kind of person that really hates to see other people have more success than they have.

edit:

the bulls dynasty was totally awesome --- any basketball fan would have to appreciate it, just like any true football fan would have to appreciate the pats.
I don't run around whining about how I hate the bulls because the celtics sucked.

edit2: holy crap -- is that patpatriot from fbg?

Last edited:
the bulls dynasty was totally awesome --- any basketball fan would have to appreciate it, just like any true football fan would have to appreciate the pats.
I don't run around whining about how I hate the bulls because the celtics sucked.

Agreed. There are people hating on the Spurs and I don't understand it. They play great team defense, have a great leader and coach, and just know how to win. The Bulls were awesome, though. I was definitely jealous of them but not enough for me to want them to lose. I respect excellence.

We are witnessing excellence of the highest order from the Patriots this season. I pity those who are blinded by their jealousy and hatred and can't appreciate what they're witnessing.

Hey guys, I am the perfect example of someone who went from the fan of an opposing team who didn't mind the pats, to someone who sort of liked the pats, to someone who doesn't like the pats.

It is a combination of a few things, and it went in a few stages.

old days - pats generally stink, don't sell out their games, harmless, fans not annoying except for the accent. Make the superbowl in 96 but get killed, bledsoe and your team very likable.

In the beginning of 2001 nobody cared too much about the pats. Ok, most of YOU probably did - but they were just another boston team that borges hated and that got some people fired up when the red sox weren't playing. They were not a big deal in boston. (on a random unrelated note, I believe borges had a column before the first game in 2001 and said "there is no chance the patriots lose to the bengals".)

2001 the pats catch lightning in a bottle and somehow win the superbowl. Not trying to belittle the title - it was completely legit, but rarely in the history of sports has a team had everything fall into place like that. Bledsoe getting hurt, Tuck Rule and even david patten fumbling the ball against the bills but being out of bounds and unconscious - I believe that play made the pats play the raiders at home (if not make the playoffs altogether). In fact I was at the snow bowl with all you idiots :) (my sister lives in Boston) and was rooting for the pats.

Then you have a bad season, followed by 2 more super bowls - incredibly impressive, close games, pats saying all the right things - . However, during the time of these super bowls, pats fans suddenly became really, really annoying. And there were a lot, lot more of you. Boston fans - who think yankees fans are the most horrible people on earth, became yankee fans. Loud, boorish know it alls who act as if they have been die hard pats fans for 30 years.

All the while the pats tried to play the "no respect" card even though they had won multiple super bowls and by 2003 people were comparing brady to montana. You guys joke about peyton getting a ballwashing - but Brady gets it just as much. And then there was the game Bruschi came back from his stroke and ESPN wouldn't shut up about him. So much so that they made up a ******ed statistic i have never seen before or after called "hits" - and showed it on the screen every time he touched a ball carrier. So the "no respect" card has never held any water when you try to play it - at least after the first super bowl

The pats lose in the playoffs a few times and during this time frame pats fans do exactly what they hate about polian and colts fans doing - complain. Bad calls in Denver, colts turned up the heat, piped in noise, polian is satan, merriman is a roid freak etc. Rodney Harrison gets caught taking HGH and many of you defend him, and also have a support thread going??? I can promise you that if that happened to someone on the steelers or packers they wouldn't have a "support thread" for the guy.

Then comes this year - and the whole taping thing. I wont' get into the argument, but some of the people defending it around here have some pretty interesting arguments to say the least. Regardless of what / why / how - they broke the rules and were severely punished for it. And in today's world bellichick is easy not to like - from the divorce to the videotaping to the mangini bs - we are in a media age and he doesn't care if he looks like the jerk he probably is.

then the running up the score story - which isn't that much of a story... - BUT - i don't think Dungy ever went for it on 4th down with 3 minutes left in a game up by 4 touchdowns. or 3 touchdowns for that matter.

and on top of that (and most importantly) - they are really, really good.

So here is my formula:
Great team + annoying fans + completely unlikable coach + sick of them factor + miscellaneous reasons not to like them (rodney harrison HGH, randy moss, dancing at midfield vs the chargers, running up the score) = america's hatred for the pats.

Let me also say that if it weren't for Brady and teammates being the ultimate diplomats this would have happened a long time ago. This scandal has finally given people something to grasp onto and dislike - your ******** of a (really good) coach.

holy crap that was long but I thought it might be helpful for some of you to understand. Good luck on Sunday, I hope you lose :)

dancing at midfield vs the chargers

I just wanted to comment on this line because I hear it so much.
the san diego chargers were pretty much universally fellated last year for doing absolutely ******* nothing while some jackass did his little lights out dance after each meaningless sack.

now, some guys take it to the wannabe punk chargers and mock this jackass.

ever afterwards I hear nobody *****ing about the original jackass doing his little dance, but all the pats haters come out of the woodwork to pile on the mocking.

I absolutely loved that ****.

hey, 'classy' tomlinson --- how about keeping your mouth shut and your own people in line?

Then you have a bad season, followed by 2 more super bowls - incredibly impressive, close games, pats saying all the right things - . However, during the time of these super bowls, pats fans suddenly became really, really annoying. And there were a lot, lot more of you. Boston fans - who think yankees fans are the most horrible people on earth, became yankee fans. Loud, boorish know it alls who act as if they have been die hard pats fans for 30 years.

The media and fans created the arrogant and annoying fans that you talk about and it all started with the tuck rule asterisk and hasn't ended yet. ...and it's only going to get worse. The harder they hit, the more arrogant and annoying we'll become. Your dislike is just getting started.

The media and fans created the arrogant and annoying fans that you talk about and it all started with the tuck rule asterisk and hasn't ended yet. ...and it's only going to get worse. The harder they hit, the more arrogant and annoying we'll become. Your dislike is just getting started.

Honestly. I think fans get more annoying when you start *****ing about thier team. By saying our first superbowl was won on a "made-up" rule, it'll piss people off. 7 years later and how ever many times since them it has been called (a lot) people still say we should not have won 36. The more other fans complain about the Pats the more arrogant and annoying some fans will get. There is a reason Pats fans are more annoying than ever this year, because everyone crapped on the team for no reason and started questioning the entire organization and Championships over a broken rule. The piling on is only pissing them off even more. Calling the team cheaters when they never cheated. It won't stop until people stop saying stupid crap about the organization.

Hey guys, I am the perfect example of someone who went from the fan of an opposing team who didn't mind the pats, to someone who sort of liked the pats, to someone who doesn't like the pats.

old days - pats generally stink, don't sell out their games, harmless, fans not annoying except for the accent. Make the superbowl in 96 but get killed, bledsoe and your team very likable.

In the beginning of 2001 nobody cared too much about the pats. Ok, most of YOU probably did - but they were just another boston team that borges hated and that got some people fired up when the red sox weren't playing. They were not a big deal in boston. (on a random unrelated note, I believe borges had a column before the first game in 2001 and said "there is no chance the patriots lose to the bengals".)

2001 the pats catch lightning in a bottle and somehow win the superbowl. Not trying to belittle the title - it was completely legit, but rarely in the history of sports has a team had everything fall into place like that. Bledsoe getting hurt, Tuck Rule and even david patten fumbling the ball against the bills but being out of bounds and unconscious - I believe that play made the pats play the raiders at home (if not make the playoffs altogether). In fact I was at the snow bowl with all you idiots :) (my sister lives in Boston) and was rooting for the pats.

All the while the pats tried to play the "no respect" card even though they had won multiple super bowls and by 2003 people were comparing brady to montana. You guys joke about peyton getting a ballwashing - but Brady gets it just as much. And then there was the game Bruschi came back from his stroke and ESPN wouldn't shut up about him. So much so that they made up a ******ed statistic i have never seen before or after called "hits" - and showed it on the screen every time he touched a ball carrier. So the "no respect" card has never held any water when you try to play it - at least after the first super bowl

The pats lose in the playoffs a few times and during this time frame pats fans do exactly what they hate about polian and colts fans doing - complain. Bad calls in Denver, colts turned up the heat, piped in noise, polian is satan, merriman is a roid freak etc. Rodney Harrison gets caught taking HGH and many of you defend him, and also have a support thread going??? I can promise you that if that happened to someone on the steelers or packers they wouldn't have a "support thread" for the guy.

Then comes this year - and the whole taping thing. I wont' get into the argument, but some of the people defending it around here have some pretty interesting arguments to say the least. Regardless of what / why / how - they broke the rules and were severely punished for it. And in today's world bellichick is easy not to like - from the divorce to the videotaping to the mangini bs - we are in a media age and he doesn't care if he looks like the jerk he probably is.

then the running up the score story - which isn't that much of a story... - BUT - i don't think Dungy ever went for it on 4th down with 3 minutes left in a game up by 4 touchdowns. or 3 touchdowns for that matter.

So here is my formula:
Great team + annoying fans + completely unlikable coach + sick of them factor + miscellaneous reasons not to like them (rodney harrison HGH, randy moss, dancing at midfield vs the chargers, running up the score) = america's hatred for the pats.

Let me also say that if it weren't for Brady and teammates being the ultimate diplomats this would have happened a long time ago. This scandal has finally given people something to grasp onto and dislike - your ******** of a (really good) coach.

holy crap that was long but I thought it might be helpful for some of you to understand. Good luck on Sunday, I hope you lose :)

I don't know who you root for, but here is my formula: Lousy team + loser with a keyboard = You.
I thought it might be helpful for you to understand.

So here is my formula:

i think the formula is:
great team + media harrassment = hatred... thats it... every team has their baggage but the pat's dirty laundry has been amplified because of the spotlight...

So here is my formula:

I do understand you. You are not the only one who once loved the scrappy cinderella Pats but turned to repugnance. Many Pats fans have expressed here how they realized the Pats' image has been damaged. I was embarrassed myself, sitting among colleagues who are fans of other teams and who were diplomatic to the Pats as a courtesy to me, but felt that many things have turned out to be PR-ugly for the Pats in the 1st half of the seasons.

That's fine. In the long run, the better character of this team will come out again and people will respect for it. Time will heal many things.

Meanwhile, good luck to your team also.

I haven't read more than the first post in this thread. That said, I have two words for you:

Tiger Woods

He's the most popular athlete in the world, but a know a ton of people who simply do not like him. When asked if they think he's the best golfer in the world--potentially ever--they will readily admit that he most definitely is. However, when asked about their dislike it inevitably turns to the media. People who really like golf, and aren't just watching because of Tiger, want to see everyone else. They have particular players they root for and, for that reason, consider Tiger to detract from their ability to enjoy the entire tournament. And that's the best parallel I could think of.

Now imagine if Tiger were caught putting extra balls in his bag before a tournament (players are allowed a certain amount of balls per round). It wouldn't necessarily help him during a round (how many times does he lose a ball in a round, let alone multiple balls?). If the media blew up over this, turning even MORE people against Tiger, I think it'd be an ever bigger parallel. Plus, he's too likeable whereas Belichick couldn't care less what the media writes about him or his team.

Tiger's not a great example. I don't know of too much Tiger hate out there. I think people like to see good tournaments, so they root for the other guys to keep it close & exciting, but he seems like a pretty well-liked, admired player.

I think what a lot of people have a hard time understanding is the attitude of the team & the fanbase in the wake of the spying thing. The Patriots - already a team that is almost unbeatable - broke the rules, and they received what many think to be a reasonable punishment for breaking the rules. And yet somehow, it's the Patriots who were "wronged" in some way.

I know you guys have your reasoning, but it's definitely a "Patriot thing," that is very hard to understand from an outsider's perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have no problem with the hate. Because we know its not really 'hate'. Its just very strong dislike. But in this football world, I would think it would be better to be thought of in low-light than to not be thought of at all. I could care less about the Seahawks, Broncos, Vikings or Titans. And of course many other teams. Why would I? Im not a fan of any of those teams. And none of them are really all that 'significant'. If theyd won a couple rings in the last couple years, Id atleast have an opinion. So, is it better to be 'hated' than to be ignored? In football? You bet it is.

I appreciate those of you who gave rational responses to my post. I thought my write up was pretty fair - I spent a lot of time on it so that some people could understand.

I’m not taking anything away from you – just explaining that pats fans from 2000 are a whole lot different than pats fans of 2006 or 2007 (in attitude, not only in the sheer difference in volume). Eagles fans are by far the worst – but they have always been like that.

2007 however finally gave people / the media a great story and the perfect face for it – your coach. Prior to that it was tough for people to dislike your TEAM (fans another story). Nobody really hated the old 49ers because they were all “good guys”- same with the vast majority of your players. And yes, the media ran with it and overplayed it – but don’t they always? Same thing they do when they ballwash manning or brady, or when they spend an entire month talking about Bruschi’s stroke, or after the 3rd SB – when many of you were claiming no respect and the press was doing articles left and right about whether this was a dynasty.

I haven't read more than the first post in this thread. That said, I have two words for you:

Tiger Woods

He's the most popular athlete in the world, but a know a ton of people who simply do not like him. When asked if they think he's the best golfer in the world--potentially ever--they will readily admit that he most definitely is. However, when asked about their dislike it inevitably turns to the media. People who really like golf, and aren't just watching because of Tiger, want to see everyone else. They have particular players they root for and, for that reason, consider Tiger to detract from their ability to enjoy the entire tournament. And that's the best parallel I could think of.

Now imagine if Tiger were caught putting extra balls in his bag before a tournament (players are allowed a certain amount of balls per round). It wouldn't necessarily help him during a round (how many times does he lose a ball in a round, let alone multiple balls?). If the media blew up over this, turning even MORE people against Tiger, I think it'd be an ever bigger parallel. Plus, he's too likeable whereas Belichick couldn't care less what the media writes about him or his team.

:yeahthat:

I'll buy that analogy. In Wood's case, if he were busted, it would probably be even crazier for him because he'd be all by his lonesome. Atleast our guys have each other.

I think what a lot of people have a hard time understanding is the attitude of the team & the fanbase in the wake of the spying thing. The Patriots - already a team that is almost unbeatable - broke the rules, and they received what many think to be a reasonable punishment for breaking the rules. And yet somehow, it's the Patriots who were "wronged" in some way.

I know you guys have your reasoning, but it's definitely a "Patriot thing," that is very hard to understand from an outsider's perspective.

Dead on.

There is a lot of woe is me from pats fans – it is hard to grasp. When idiot merriman got busted you guys went nuts – when rodney got busted a surprising number of people said “HGH isn’t the same as steroids – it doesn’t make you stronger” or “he was just trying to heal faster”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes