PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seriously thought Gramatica had much of a chance since the draft but I'm starting to wonder a little now :

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/08/koppen_ready_to_snap_back/?page=2

"Accuracy counts
Kicker Martin Gramatica was exceptional, not missing a kick before the close of practice, with all of his makes being virtually dead center, as he kicked to the east on the Patriots' practice field.

Stephen Gostkowski was 4 for 4 when it counted as well, though he misfired to the right on one kick that came after the whistle had blown to stop the play. Three of his kicks tailed to the right, though the ball squeezed inside the upright each time. The other was a low liner that managed to make it over the crossbar."

The preseason FG attempts are looming very large all of a sudden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same report, different day - this is why we had the cheery discussion the other day about which kicker would make the roster. I want to hang on to Gostkowski somehow, but I think Gramatica gives the Pats the best opportunity for 2006.

I believe mgcolby was setting up a fundraiser to send Martin to a celebration class at the Chad Johnson academy.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Same report, different day - this is why we had the cheery discussion the other day about which kicker would make the roster.
Well every day that goes by with the same result gives us a bigger sample size to acknowledge the possibility. Actually, this is the first report I've read that says Gramatica's kicks were more down the middle - many of the others had them both doing very well.

BelichickFan said:
Well every day that goes by with the same result gives us a bigger sample size to acknowledge the possibility. Actually, this is the first report I've read that says Gramatica's kicks were more down the middle - many of the others had them both doing very well.
True, the reports describe them both as doing well, and gush about Gostkowski's leg - but I keep seeing the descriptor "consistent" applied to Gramatica. Whether you like his post kick celebrations or not, an "automatica" isn't necessarily a bad thing to have around in the kicking game - I just want to find a way to keep Gostkowski's rights and develop him into a down the middle guy.

A buddy of mine has been saying for months that he believes Belichick will carry two kickers this fall. Not sure if I agree with him yet. On the same note, I don't see Gostkowski landing on the practice squad - I see him being scooped up by another team if he is waived.

Don't be surprised to see both kickers retained. The new kid for kickoffs and extra points and the vet to kick FG's.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Don't be surprised to see both kickers retained. The new kid for kickoffs and extra points and the vet to kick FG's.

Sounds nuts to me.

My bet is on Gostkowski, who, while slightly less accurate, has more power and a lot more youth.

Grammatica's good performance in camp will land him on another team.

2nd kicker at the expense of the 3rd QB - I'm good with that. Keep one of the kid QB on the PS. The chance of both Brady and Cassel getting hurt in the same game is small. And having two kickers will allow Belichick to go with the hot leg, keep the vet, keep the rookie upside and keep the pressure on them during practice.

Murphys95 said:
A buddy of mine has been saying for months that he believes Belichick will carry two kickers this fall. Not sure if I agree with him yet. On the same note, I don't see Gostkowski landing on the practice squad - I see him being scooped up by another team if he is waived.

I can see us potentially carrying 2 kickers into the season.

I think the the braintrust got sick of seeing Vinatieri's kickoffs being received at the 10 WAY too many times. Gostkowski eliminates that issue immediately.

Gramatica is one of these guys who tends to implode by his own hand, and when you take a kicker in the 4th round, you're not gonna squander him.

Gramatica though provides short term insurance.

I'm a little bit enamoured with Gostkowski since I saw him on that ESPN college kicker challenge. I was shocked when we got him the draft.

BelichickFan said:
I've never seriously thought Gramatica had much of a chance since the draft but I'm starting to wonder a little now :

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/08/koppen_ready_to_snap_back/?page=2

"Accuracy counts
Kicker Martin Gramatica was exceptional, not missing a kick before the close of practice, with all of his makes being virtually dead center, as he kicked to the east on the Patriots' practice field.

Stephen Gostkowski was 4 for 4 when it counted as well, though he misfired to the right on one kick that came after the whistle had blown to stop the play. Three of his kicks tailed to the right, though the ball squeezed inside the upright each time. The other was a low liner that managed to make it over the crossbar."

The preseason FG attempts are looming very large all of a sudden.

You and me Bofe!

Man, it is going to be weird seeing either of these guys march out there for KOs and FGAs. I think it's just sinking in for me now.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. My guess is we stick we Gost.

Patjew said:
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. My guess is we stick we Gost.

I tell myself I won't be shocked with any move Belichick makes, but if Goko is let go, effectively that means the Pats "lose" a 4th round pick. So I'm with you, my guess is Gostkowski sticks.

Murphys95 said:
I tell myself I won't be shocked with any move Belichick makes, but if Goko is let go, effectively that means the Pats "lose" a 4th round pick. So I'm with you, my guess is Gostkowski sticks.
That is my rationale, too.

Bobs My Uncle said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all, and I don't even consider it a major waste of a roster spot. Field position on kickoffs was an issue last year. If Gost can make a significant difference there while he refines his technique as a FG kicker, that impact compares pretty favorably with the bottom position player. (Also, a Mincey or Stevenson is more likely to make it to the practice squad than the top kicker in the draft -- a guy who doesn't really need to get integrated into a team's scheme and terminology.)

Ugh... just the thought of the Hamburglar kicking FGs for us...

Kicking on a practice field and kicking in game conditions in the NFL are two entirely different things. Pre season will show us more, but likely not enough since our chances of encountering bad weather or real (as opposed to contrived) pressure are almost nil. And it will be the guy who sends the most PK down the middle who starts the season, not the guy with a little more leg who just manages to get them through. Coaches need to make their decisions based on consistency - not possibility.

The kid would have had to be a real phenom to nail the position. He was the best of a weak kicking draft class. If Belichick had any faith in Dramatica he wouldn't have drafted a kicker in the 4th. Either one of these guys could fold like a cheap shirt on a moments notice and at the most inopportune juncture - like December or January. Smart money says Belichck won't risk the season on either of them so he'll carry both.

So much for how easily replaceable a HOF kicker is. These two will cost half as much on the cap, but they will take up two roster spots. If Gramatica ends up performing he'll want an expensive LT deal. If the kid remains a question mark they will have to try another veteran and probably another draftee heading into 2007. Vinatieri was their one mis step of the off season. They misread his market and his resolve. Otherwise they would have had a viable fallback plan in place, as they actually did for Givens (Caldwell and a 1st or 2nd round WR) and Willie (Vrabel moving back and Colvin ready to start FT).

One of the other issues is height.

I read a report (from mini-camp?) that Gramatica was kicking with a lower trajectory than Gostkowski. That matters a lot with teams seriously straining to block kicks. Have any of our training camp visitors noticed any differences here?

MoLewisrocks said:
Otherwise they would have had a viable fallback plan in place, as they actually did for Givens (Caldwell and a 1st or 2nd round WR) and Willie (Vrabel moving back and Colvin ready to start FT).
They had a fallback plan with Adam too. They added a FA (Gramatica) and they drafted a PK (Gostowski) in the 4th.

the kicker battle is really interesting; many of us probably thought Gramatica was not so good anymore but it looks he is having a good camp and he has experience in the National Football League.

Gostkowski looks good too so the difference imho could be that he was a 4th rounder...

so he has or he should have an advantage

i really have no idea who will win and IF we will cut one of them i'm pratically sure he will sign immediately with another team

or: both could make the roster ?

again: interesting

italianpatthepatriot said:
the kicker battle is really interesting; many of us probably thought Gramatica was not so good anymore but it looks he is having a good camp and he has experience in the National Football League.

Gostkowski looks good too so the difference imho could be that he was a 4th rounder...

so he has or he should have an advantage

i really have no idea who will win and IF we will cut one of them i'm pratically sure he will sign immediately with another team

or: both could make the roster ?

I think you just talked yourself into keeping both kickers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes