Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This is what I'm seeing in the upcoming season:

Kick offs: Faulk and Hobbs

Punts: Welker

*Chad Jackson could also come in and do either at some point when he is healthy.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how much Hobbs will be KR considering he's starting and a year older. I could see Hobbs doing it until Jackson took over tho.

How about my boy Willie Andrews? He kind of fell off after TC.

I don't want Hobbs returning kicks. There is too much chance of injury.

i like Chad Jackson in the role..his PRs last year were pretty good..He had 3 only though..1 he was a block away but he broke 2 tackles and got like 9 yards i think and then the Titans game he had 2 big returns

I don't want Hobbs returning kicks. There is too much chance of injury.

Well you better get used to it considering he is probably going to do it. And he is really good at it.

And he is really good at it.

One of the high spots of last season was the quality of the kick returning -- Hobbs and Maroney were both terrific, the fact that they didn't break any returns for touchdowns notwithstanding. If they're too valuable to be used in that role again, I think that the team will be hard pushed to find replacements as good.

Sammy Morris returned kickoffs for Buffalo a few years ago.

I don't think he has that second gear to be completey effective on kicks.

neither does Welker who i think will be the returner. we didnt give up a 2nd plus a contract for a slot lemme tell u guys that. i think we have a lot of better options than Welker but hes gonna be there

I'm not sure how much Hobbs will be KR considering he's starting and a year older. I could see Hobbs doing it until Jackson took over tho.

How about my boy Willie Andrews? He kind of fell off after TC.

I was a big fan of Willie Andrews after last year's training camp and the way he went all out on ST last year. I'd love to see him contribute more any way he can. Go Willie.

I do think the KR group will be some mixture of Hobbs, Welker and Andrews.

neither does Welker who i think will be the returner. we didnt give up a 2nd plus a contract for a slot lemme tell u guys that. i think we have a lot of better options than Welker but hes gonna be there

Punt returns and kick returns require different skill sets.

Kick returners need more straight line speed because they want to eat up as much sapce as possible before the coverage gets there.

Punt returners need to be more shifty/quick because they are going to be surrounded by defenders pretty much as soon as they catch the ball so they need to make people miss and have less space to work with.

Because Welker does not have good straight line speed but is very quick and shifty he should be used primarily as a punt returner, with someone like Hobbs who is much faster being the kick off return man.

This is what I'm seeing in the upcoming season:

Kick offs: Faulk and Hobbs

Punts: Welker

*Chad Jackson could also come in and do either at some point when he is healthy.

Thoughts?

I would say Welker and Hobbs for KR.
Welker for PR.

I don't want Faulk returning kicks because of his tendency to FUMBLE at bad moments.

Hobbs is a very explosive KR as we've all seen, so it would be worth it to have him return some kicks although I'd rather not have him be the primary guy so as to lessen the load on him.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our two best return men, Maroney (kickoffs) and Hobbs (punts) are both starting so I doubt they'll see much action.

Jackson would be a possibility except he'll be on IR.

That leaves Faulk, Brown, Andrews and Welker. Unfortunately I have the snaeking suspicion we'll be seeing a lot of Welker. Bah. I don't think he's that great in the role. Not anywhere near as good as Hobbs or Maroney.

Unfortunately our two best return men, Maroney (kickoffs) and Hobbs (punts) are both starting so I doubt they'll see much action.

Jackson would be a possibility except he'll be on IR.

That leaves Faulk, Brown, Andrews and Welker. Unfortunately I have the snaeking suspicion we'll be seeing a lot of Welker. Bah. I don't think he's that great in the role. Not anywhere near as good as Hobbs or Maroney.

Hobbs has been a starter for the past year and a half and he has remained a kick returner throughout that time. I doubt things change this year.

Maroney probably won't see action in the kicking game for the simple reason that being the starting running back and kick off returner would just be too much work. He would get exhausted by the middle of the season.

I agree completely. It's very rare that he breaks a big return. He will consistantly get you to the 25 or 30 yard line, but hardly ever past that.

I could see a possibility of Kevin Faulk returning kicks.

Punt returns and kick returns require different skill sets.

Kick returners need more straight line speed because they want to eat up as much sapce as possible before the coverage gets there.

Punt returners need to be more shifty/quick because they are going to be surrounded by defenders pretty much as soon as they catch the ball so they need to make people miss and have less space to work with.

Because Welker does not have good straight line speed but is very quick and shifty he should be used primarily as a punt returner, with someone like Hobbs who is much faster being the kick off return man.

Amen brother. KO guys need speed and burst.

That's why Faulk is a better PR than KO guy. I never understood why they continued to use him for KOs until last season; when they tried him as a PR, he did well as a PR.

Yea, I wouldn't say Faulk isn't fast enough to return kicks, but i agree he is great for punt returns. I think Hobbs would be best for a kickoff return, but I doubt he will since he will probably start at CB, and being injured isn't worth it.

Jackson would be a possibility except he'll be on PUP.

I fixed your post.

Starting Jackson on IR would be like setting your car on fire because you don't like the mileage it's getting.

I agree completely. It's very rare that he breaks a big return. He will consistantly get you to the 25 or 30 yard line, but hardly ever past that.

Thanks almost entirely to the garbage special teams blocking of the Miami Dolphins....But far be it from you or Remix to admit that. Remix acts like that part of the game didn't HELP Hobbs or Maroney last year on kick returns or Faulk/Brown on Punt returns.

There is a damn good reason why the Phins LED the league in fair catches. And it wasn't because Welker isn't a good punt returner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes