PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kick returner, if not Boyce or Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I don't really care as long as it isn't any of our starters at other positions. I don't want to see Edelman, Amendola or McCourty back there. I also don't think that it's worth to have a roster spot for someone that is just a kick returner.

Whoever makes the roster between RB5 and WR5/6 should be able to return kicks. Personally, I still don't really buy that Boyce isn't making the team, especially with Tyms suspended for four games. It could happen, but it'll surprise me if it does.

Whoever makes the roster between RB5 and WR5/6 should be able to return kicks. Personally, I still don't really buy that Boyce isn't making the team, especially with Tyms suspended for four games. It could happen, but it'll surprise me if it does.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boyce is not a vested vet who if he's on the 53 we're on the hook for his entire year's salary. Right?
That may ensure his presence while Tyms (who has to show consistency and ability vs starters) sits out the 1st 4 weeks. If after that Boyce can be cut, it gives him at least another 7 weeks to develop and show his abilities.
I think that this and his only 2nd yr status makes Boyce a near lock for the 53.

I would not give up on Boyce already.

I hope Boyce doesn't get cut. Im rooting for the guy to make the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boyce is not a vested vet who if he's on the 53 we're on the hook for his entire year's salary. Right?
That may ensure his presence while Tyms (who has to show consistency and ability vs starters) sits out the 1st 4 weeks. If after that Boyce can be cut, it gives him at least another 7 weeks to develop and show his abilities.
I think that this and his only 2nd yr status makes Boyce a near lock for the 53.

Sounds right to me - I believe that you essentially have to have four years of service to be a vested vet, so Boyce definitely isn't one.

I would suggest Vince Wilfork, but he's off the list due to last year's injury.

Vince-Wilfork-Stiff-Arm.gif]

So how about this guy?

Definitely not McCourty. As far as I'm concerned, he should be stored in a resealable bubblewrapped box on all offensive and special team downs. If he re-signs here, I think it should be a stipulation in his new contract; we'll call it the "bubble wrap clause."

How important is being a KR these days anyway?

Like most of us, I watch far too many games and see so many kickoffs that I'm getting punch drunk. If there's been a runback of any consequence so far in the preseason, I must have missed it. What I see is a string of kicks to the back of the EZ, a knee and the O taking over at the 20. If you want to stick on a roster as a RB these days I think you have to beat out other runners. KR is becoming, if not already has become, an anachronism.

Such a shame, too. It was the most reliably exciting play in football a decade ago. Line-up 2000+ pounds of armored athletes on one end of the field and run them at a like group of humanity and see if the fastest guy out there can sneak through the morass.

Boyce is clearly the best equipped for the role, but if his roster spot is needed more elsewhere (at DT, for example), White may have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes