Welcome to PatsFans.com

Keystone Pipeline question ???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm no rocket surgeon, or brain scientist...but I'm looking at a map of the proposed "Keystone-Pipeline". Stretching from Canada to the gulf of Mexico and hearing all of the hot air about how this pipeline will create jobs, and make the United States more energy independent....

blah, blah, blah...

I uderstand how the creation of infrastructure creates construction jobs in the shoirt term, and the benefits to such a project in the labor market.

HOwever....

I scratch my head when I try and sort out how pumping oil from Canada, to the gulf of Mexico helps with ANYTHING aside from exporting Canadian oil?

Why build a pipeline for exporting domestic oil, if we as a nation keep hearing how we are dependant on foreign oil, and we need to drill baby drill etc.

If the oil was drilled here, and we have a crisis HERE...

why are we piping CANADIAN oil to a port to be shipped out? Why wouldn't Canada simply pipe the oil to Vancouver, and ship it from there?

this makes ZERO sense.
  2. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It took the GOP a day to stop *****ing about this issue. They knew all along that the pipeline was BS.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Do you know where our largest importer of oil is located?

Hint they like hockey and ice, and it's not Russia.
  4. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's largely about refinery capacity, which is already in place in La. and Texas (and the best in the world). To the technocrats who pull our strings, it's cheaper to pipe this disgusting heavy "oil" south than it would be to build all this enormously expensive new refinery infrastructure closer to the northern border.

Further underlining the REALITY that global conventional crude production has peaked, and so we're attempting all these far-more expensive measures to desperately keep the beast fed and the illusion of "growth" afloat.

It will get worse.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Point of clarification, the Keystone pipeline already exists and goes from Canada to Illinois, there has already been one extension to Oklahoma. Phase 3 & 4 are the issues at hand that section was labeled the Keystone Pipeline XL to extend it over Ogalla Aquafier and an area prone to earthquakes.

The XL project would increase the flow from 435K to 590K barrels per day...

Who would benefit most from this endeavor???, the oil oligarchs led by the Koch Brothers... connect the dots it always follows the money.