PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn Johnson May be Released Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
"

OK, he's not exactly in his prime but he and Belichick supposedly have a good releationship..

About 2 years ago KJ was asked what one QB would he love to catch for....he said Tom Brady.

Beavis said:
About 2 years ago KJ was asked what one QB would he love to catch for....he said Tom Brady.

The more I read this thread, the more excited I get about KJ and it was only yesterday when I was questioning the "Give me the Damn Ball" routine he had in his early years.

What wideout doesn't want the ball in his hands? Keyshawn's attitude has never really bothered me. He's just ultra competitive.

He and Belichick get along well, Belichick has complemented him in the past, and Keyshawn has said he'd want to play for the Pats.

He'd be a perfect fit, Brady would have a big wideout to throw too, and perhaps more importantly, it would take some of the D's attention off of Branch.

Givens is a very solid, but I have a feeling his numbers won't be as impressive when he doesn't have Tom Brady throwing him the ball. I would love it if Keyshawn ended up in NE.

Last edited:
A few points:

1) I distinctly remember reading a couple of years ago how BB and Keyshawn are actually personal friends - - i.e. Keyshawn attended one of the Pats SB's as a guest of BB and that they call each other to chat frequently.

2) Could Keyshawn be the 2006 version of Corey Dillon? There are several similarities there - - the "bad teammate" rap (deservedly so in BOTH of their earlier careers), the love of physical football and the almost childish desire to win.

I can't stand "Keyshawn types" and I find myself almost holding my nose writing this, but I think this might actually be a good option for the Pats.

shmessy said:
I can't stand "Keyshawn types" and I find myself almost holding my nose writing this, but I think this might actually be a good option for the Pats.

Terrell Owens is the best thing that could have happened to Keyshawn Johnson. TO's malfeasance makes Johnson's old antics look positively charming. And yes, I think he'd be a nice addition.

i think brady really needs a big physical possession receiver like this guy....we haven't heard nary a peep from him since he left Gruden behind....i wouldn't mind Key....but whether it's him or a big guy in the draft, i think brady needs a big possession target

I like Keyshawn, but lets not get carried away here. First off, he couldn't out run Vince Wilfork. The guy is slow. I have also seen him make some key drops in games. We wouldn't be getting 1st overall pick Keyshawn Johnson. We would be getting a decent possession WR who is a good blocker. Could he help our team? Sure, but he isn't close to an upgrade over David Givens.

nickw308810 said:
I like Keyshawn, but lets not get carried away here. First off, he couldn't out run Vince Wilfork. The guy is slow. I have also seen him make some key drops in games. We wouldn't be getting 1st overall pick Keyshawn Johnson. We would be getting a decent possession WR who is a good blocker. Could he help our team? Sure, but he isn't close to an upgrade over David Givens.

i don't think givens (or branch for that matter) are as good as advertised...i think brady makes them look better than they are....they DO have good hands though....but givens will have a down year. (see david patten)

(i do think that they are good receivers, but not number ones and, in givens' case, maybe not even a number 2)

Key does not drop many passes and would only serve as a possession receiver running outs and slants....but he would be highly effective with brady (as would a stovall, hagan, etc.)

How come no one's mentioned the possiblity of Branch, TO, and MeShawn? JK! :)

nickw308810 said:
I like Keyshawn, but lets not get carried away here. First off, he couldn't out run Vince Wilfork.

That's because Wilfork has a MOTOR! :D

R_T26 said:
I know, im just a little concerned w/ the WR position. Have you seen whats available? Plus if bRANCH GOES DOWN YIKES.

Yes, I have seen what is available and there is still some pretty good talent out there. Definitely better than the dregs the Pats had to settle for in 2001. You know. Torrence Small, Bert Emanuel, Fred Coleman, and Charles Johnson.

Absolutely sign me up for Keyshawn. If Moulds comes, too, jackpot. We can slowly draft their replacements this year and next.

Yes, Brady has done it before with no name receivers, but that's no reason why not to[sign Keyshawn]. Belichick and Pioli know what they are doing, but their FA philosophy is a risky one. It's a philosophy that Theo has now adopted, of taking risks on guys who might have had health problems, other team's might think are too old, players that might become better when put into a certain system, etc. I think we've seen it can either turn out great, or turn out poorly. Last offseason was a complete, utter disaster.

If Keyshawn is available, why not get him? Wouldn't it be nice to have a FA signing that we know what we're getting and don't have to rely on health, their ability to change and play in our system (Beisel, Brown, & Starks). No, Keyshawn is not the best WR in the league nor is he as good as he used to claim to be, but he'd fit in real well with the Pats.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Yes, I have seen what is available and there is still some pretty good talent out there. Definitely better than the dregs the Pats had to settle for in 2001. You know. Torrence Small, Bert Emanuel, Fred Coleman, and Charles Johnson.
Not to mention David Payton, who didn't turn out to be a dreg but certainly didn't excite anyone when he was signed.

I think its safe to assume the WR position will be addressed before training camp starts. Relax.... :rocker:

Just heard that he was released, no link cofirmation though. Word of mouth from Dallas radio station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back