PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn Johnson May be Released Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
"AP reports Dallas Cowboys WR Keyshawn Johnson's future with the team will be decided Tuesday, March 14. If Johnson is on the Cowboys' roster at 3 p.m., he will receive a $1 million bonus. The Cowboys must decide whether to give him the money or release him. Johnson, scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.5 million this season, would like a one-year extension and a raise that pays him between $2 million and $3 million. The Cowboys could pay him the bonus and release him later, but that's unlikely."

OK, he's not exactly in his prime but he and Belichick supposedly have a good releationship. He was 71-839-11.8 last year and 70-981-14.0 the year before. Givens was 65-795-12.2 and 56-874-15.6 those two years.

Clearly I'd prefer Givens but Johnson could be an option depending on cost.

I'd sign KJ is a heartbeat as our #3 receiver.

BelichickFan said:
"AP reports Dallas Cowboys WR Keyshawn Johnson's future with the team will be decided Tuesday, March 14. If Johnson is on the Cowboys' roster at 3 p.m., he will receive a $1 million bonus. The Cowboys must decide whether to give him the money or release him. Johnson, scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.5 million this season, would like a one-year extension and a raise that pays him between $2 million and $3 million. The Cowboys could pay him the bonus and release him later, but that's unlikely."

OK, he's not exactly in his prime but he and Belichick supposedly have a good releationship. He was 71-839-11.8 last year and 70-981-14.0 the year before. Givens was 65-795-12.2 and 56-874-15.6 those two years.

Clearly I'd prefer Givens but Johnson could be an option depending on cost.

I could see Dallas dumping him and making a run at T.O.

This could be a good replacement for Givens

KJ is also Eric Moulds best friend. That's an interesting scenario to ponder isn't it?

EMoulds80Fan said:
KJ is also Eric Moulds best friend. That's an interesting scenario to ponder isn't it?
Branch, Moulds, Keyshawn . . . indeed it is, my friend.

Letting Givens go and assuming that Keyshawn and Moulds will be patriots, is like quiting your job because you think you might win the lottery.

I am not sure I'd want him here...besides the money factor..I do NOT think BB wants players who "want the ball" all the time and complain about it..a wrong move.

If he has grown up and his "MeShawn" days are over I'd take him.

R_T26 said:
Letting Givens go and assuming that Keyshawn and Moulds will be patriots, is like quiting your job because you think you might win the lottery.
No-one's assuming it, it just looms as a possibility.

BelichickFan said:
No-one's assuming it, it just looms as a possibility.

I know, im just a little concerned w/ the WR position. Have you seen whats available? Plus if bRANCH GOES DOWN YIKES.

BelichickFan said:
Branch, Moulds, Keyshawn . . . indeed it is, my friend.
Sign me up for this. :singing:

R_T26 said:
I know, im just a little concerned w/ the WR position. Have you seen whats available? Plus if bRANCH GOES DOWN YIKES.
No doubt about that. However it's way too early to panic. There's still the draft plus other cuts, whether it's Moulds, Keyshawn, or others, lots of roster changes could come.

Am I more than a little concerned ? Absolutely. No one cna honestly not be. But the offseason is just getting started.

R_T26 said:

They may be playing with fire if they keep ignoring the lack of depth at the RB and WR positions. Signing street-FA's to run and catch the ball isn't a good way to do business.

richpats said:
They may be playing with fire if they keep ignoring the lack of depth at the RB and WR positions. Signing street-FA's to run and catch the ball isn't a good way to do business.

I wonder what Brady thinks about this.

The intrigue intensifies...Belichick's other sport is tantalizingly fun.

R_T26 said:
I wonder what Brady thinks about this.

He probably knows exactly what the Pats have planned for the position, so he's not stressing it like we are. I worry that he needs plenty of reps to get his timing down w/ new receivers, though I worry less if that new receiver has a Pro Bowl appearance or 2.

I wonder if the staff likes Bam Childress as a possible #3 or #4 guy. I have no reason to say this other than it's just a thought.

I would take Keyshawn. And I feel strangely confident that he would be a model citizen. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

One of the big things we miss with Givens leaving is a decent run-blocking WR. We'd get that in spades with Keyshawn, and he seems to actually enjoy it too. IF BB/SP think his me-days are behind him and has grown up, and could be a solid member of the TEAM, then I'd take a quick swig off the Kool Aid bottle and say "Huzaaaah!".

He makes the tough catches over the middle too. Yes, I've decided - count me in for sure on the Keyshawn bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes