PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn doubts Pats will offer him enough to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Interesting read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/03/15/keyshawn.market/index.html

A couple quotes:

"Johnson has an excellent relationship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who was also on Parcells' staff in New York, but is skeptical that New England will make what he considers a suitable offer."

And:

"... and there's always Tom Brady if I'm willing to play for $5 a year."

I like Johnson, but he is a lot like Ty Law personality-wise. He is basically doing some sales work with this piece.

It will be kind of fun to see what idiot team will pay the "big bucks" for this guy. Maybe 5 years ago but not now.

I think we could get him 2 yrs at 3 mill plus incentives...

If it was all about the team to Keyshawn, he would come to the Patriots, no questions asked.

But it's not all about the team for Keyshawn, it's about the money. He probably just wants the Pats to make an offer he can accept so that he can come here, and is using this to goad them on. If we make a good offer, there is no doubt that he comes here.

I'd still like to see him here. He'd make a great target for Brady.

smg93 said:
I'd still like to see him here. He'd make a great target for Brady.

Keyshawn is wise. We won't offer him money..........(I hope!!!).

Living in the Tampa area, I got to see what a wonderful teammate Me Shawn was. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im not sold on Keyshawn I think we got TE's faster than him :cool:

Dagg said:
Im not sold on Keyshawn I think we got TE's faster than him :cool:

At this point in his career, is he significantly enough better than Troy Brown to justify the difference in salary between the two? Probably not. He's a slow possession receiver that doesn't contribute on Teams.

Since his agent was suspended he's apparently just laying the groundwork.

KJ had better production that Givens in 2005. I have no reason it will be any different in 2006.

dryheat44 said:
At this point in his career, is he significantly enough better than Troy Brown to justify the difference in salary between the two? Probably not. He's a slow possession receiver that doesn't contribute on Teams.

well

Meshaun has talent and is a big receiver. he would be good over the middle and blocking downfield. Once he caught the ball however he's not going to go anywhere unless he's wide open!

mtbykr said:
Meshaun has talent and is a big receiver. he would be good over the middle and blocking downfield. Once he caught the ball however he's not going to go anywhere unless he's wide open!

Nice thing is he catches lots of balls after the first down marker. Move the chains baby, move the chains. :D

Me-shawn?? Please don't do it!!

Bad attitude and overrated.

I am a bit concerned that there are no good #2 options out there. And we tend to overrate whoever the Pats bring in -- remember how great David Terrell was going to be?

onegameatatime said:
I am a bit concerned that there are no good #2 options out there. And we tend to overrate whoever the Pats bring in -- remember how great David Terrell was going to be?

Over rate??? Did you think Terrell was going to be a number 2 receiver??? I didn't..I thought it was a good pickup..give it a shot a gamble..THAT is always good to see...Did it pan out?? No..but it was an attempt.. a try. I don't think they would bring in someone with that many questions as a possible 2...In the mix, yes..but as a 2..NO!!
I agree not looking for meshawn here...wrong attitude..you bring a meshawn in with incentives and it's all about him getting the ball...won't work at all..

Keyshawn...

I was never a huge fan of Keyshawn when he was with the Jets, for all the sound bites, fighting through the media, etc. Maybe that comes from being over-exposed to the tri-state area news.

Ever since he's been in Dallas -- and has either been more quiet, or I'm just not following the local Dallas news -- I've been much more impressed with his performance on the field. I've seen Keyshawn take some hits that would send a player to the hospital. Bledsoe hangs him out to dry over the middle, and he nearly gets decapitated by a linebacker -- but he comes up with the ball, and goes back to the huddle the next play! His toughness earns a lot of respect, in my book.

I wonder how he would do in the Patriot's system -- where we don't really have a #1 receiver anyways. Perhaps he might be happier in a situation where nobody is debating who is the #1?

Keyshawn and BB have a lot of respect for each other - and if indeed he is only looking for about $2 million a year with a chance to make an impact, I think the Pats and he are a good match

Money, if that's the case, is not an issue

I think Keyshawn is using the money issue to divert attention away from the behavior issue in terms of why the Pats might not sign him

JoeSixPat said:
Keyshawn and BB have a lot of respect for each other - and if indeed he is only looking for about $2 million a year with a chance to make an impact, I think the Pats and he are a good match

Money, if that's the case, is not an issue

I think Keyshawn is using the money issue to divert attention away from the behavior issue in terms of why the Pats might not sign him
MAYBE the case...I agree it's more the attitude than the money...2 maybe OK..although with incentives?? That would not be good..back to "gimme the ball I want to get my incentives"...not cool. We shall see.

dryheat44 said:

Exactly. He brings nothing new to the team. We need a number 2 receiver who can actually mess up coverages, burn DBs downfield and then catch the ball when he gets there. We already have the solid type in Deion Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes