PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn and Cris Carter on the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
ESPN hosted a conference call Wednesday with NFL analysts Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson, and the Patriots were one of the topics covered*On Tom Brady’s injury and the impact it will have on the New England Patriots …Keyshawn Johnson: “It will have a tremendous interest on what the Patriots can do without Tom Brady at [...]

More...

Keyshawn is right....Carter is an idiot

I love Welker but it's ridiculous to claim the Pats have "two #1 wide receivers". Manning has two #1s, Welker belongs in the slot.

I almost had a heart attack. I read that as Meshawn being signed by the Pats. Pheew!:p

Keyshawn understands Belichick's approach to the game and knows this is just another challenge to the coach, and the coach usually meets challenges quite nicely.

Welker is a # 1 WR, regardless of where he lines up. Check the stats.

Brady or no Brady, I expected coming into this year that the team would run more this year. Maroney, Morris and Jordan are a tremendous trio at RB and they need to be utilized. I also hope that the screen pass will be used more with these 3 and Faulk as well.

This team will be fine. The only question, who is the starting QB by mid-season, Cassel or Garcia????

I love Welker but it's ridiculous to claim the Pats have "two #1 wide receivers". Manning has two #1s, Welker belongs in the slot.

This one always annoys me. maybe it is the way I think but when I use numbers for a WR IMO that is just how good you think he is compared to others on the team if you use letters or just say Slot than you refer to position IMO. Just because Welker plays the slot doesn't mean he isnt the 2nd best Pats WR and doesn't mean that he wouldn't be a number 1 WR on most teams (all teams without a pro bowl WR might be more accurate). Also just because he excells in the slot doesn't mean he isnt a really good outside WR too. Anyone who thinks Welker isnt a #1 WR on most teams because he is a slot guy is naive.

Yep, Carter is an idiot. Keyshawn is actually one of my favorite analysts, he's pretty objective and always tries to bring some insight. At least from what I've seen. Carter is just a moron.

"belongs in the slot"? What the hell does that mean? He belongs on the the field catching passes, of which he caught more of last year than anyone else.

I once liked Carter on Inside the NFL. Last year, he just started to sound moronic to me with his comments. Now, he isn't worth the time.

Keyshawn's "system" statement still sounds goofy to me. A trained back-up may know the offense and perform adequately in relief, but that does not mean Brady is a "system" guy and therefore is not a major contributor to the past success of the system or would not be a superstar elsewhere.

Some players respond well to structure, some do not (Vrabel wasn't a great fit in Pittsburgh, Harrison was viewed as done, Branch is not flying high in Seattle and we will see what happens to the money corner in Philly). New England has an excellent, structured system and selects players at the right price with the right attributes to fit the requirements of the system. But to say the overall system is responsible for the particular results would be the equivalent of saying a steam propulsion system would drive a locomotive the same way whether you use coal or uranium as the source of energy.

While I would love to see Cassel throw for 4500 yards and 40 touchdowns with a 100 QB rating if that system theory holds true, I suspect basic abilities and the experience factor make that result unrealistic. Cassel has been here long enough to avoid a learning curve figuring out the system, now it's time to see how far his abilities can carry him.

Last edited:
What's wrong with what Carter said? He's right. The Pats will change their gameplan. They certainly won't run the shotgun 70% of the time. Other than him thinking he knows how good Cassel is, I thought he was pretty accurate.

When you read the two quotes, it's quite evident that Chris Carter is intellectually handicapped. Zero analysis. He may as well have said, "my cats breath smells of cat food".
Respetcs,

Rich

They certainly won't run the shotgun 70% of the time.

Actually, he said that the Patriots ran the shotgun 70% more than any team in NFL history, which can't possibly be true. :)

"belongs in the slot"? What the hell does that mean? He belongs on the the field catching passes, of which he caught more of last year than anyone else.

Yeah, and he did that working out of the slot not being covered by the team's number one corner. Do you think he would have anywhere near the numbers he did if he was a team's #1 priority on offense?

I'm not knocking Welker, he's a great receiver and is one of the essential pieces to our success. But come on, if he went to another team he would not line up at the #1 position unless they were desperate. Some of you sound downright offended by this.

Who are the Colts' 2 #1s? Harrison ? Not any more. I'll give you Wayne. #11? Not yet...

Last edited:
Who are the Colts' 2 #1s? Harrison ? Not any more. I'll give you Wayne. #11? Not yet...

Maybe I should have said "had" then. For years he had Harrison and Wayne. When Harrison got injured Wayne stepped in as #1 and there was little to no difference.

this is espn guys. have you ever seen two guys together who agree with anything ? you can see clearly on their set. keyshwan is there to pump up BB and parcells and berate the cowboys and other. the rest are the other way round.

this is espn guys. have you ever seen two guys together who agree with anything ? you can see clearly on their set. keyshwan is there to pump up BB and parcells and berate the cowboys and other. the rest are the other way round.

Well, Carter played his usual role here in my mind (Inside the NFL, etc.), but Keyshawn's response was insightful about the future of our season, IMO.

Last edited:
I once liked Carter on Inside the NFL. Last year, he just started to sound moronic to me with his comments. Now, he isn't worth the time.

Keyshawn's "system" statement still sounds goofy to me. A trained back-up may know the offense and perform adequately in relief, but that does not mean Brady is a "system" guy and therefore is not a major contributor to the past success of the system or would not be a superstar elsewhere.

Some players respond well to structure, some do not (Vrabel wasn't a great fit in Pittsburgh, Harrison was viewed as done, Branch is not flying high in Seattle and we will see what happens to the money corner in Philly). New England has an excellent, structured system and selects players at the right price with the right attributes to fit the requirements of the system. But to say the overall system is responsible for the particular results would be the equivalent of saying a steam propulsion system would drive a locomotive the same way whether you use coal or uranium as the source of energy.

While I would love to see Cassel throw for 4500 yards and 40 touchdowns with a 100 QB rating if that system theory holds true, I suspect basic abilities and the experience factor make that result unrealistic. Cassel has been here long enough to avoid a learning curve figuring out the system, now it's time to see how far his abilities can carry him.

I read that to mean that Keyshawn believes that is what we will hear from the mediots if the team is succesful behind Cassel, not what he himself believes.

I think he's right. That is what we will hear.

I read that to mean that Keyshawn believes that is what we will hear from the mediots if the team is succesful behind Cassel, not what he himself believes.

I think he's right. That is what we will hear.

I wasn't busting on Keyshawn but rather on the argument. Frankly, I don't find him painful to listen to or read (unlike Carter who I now find increasingly annoying), and I cannot say that about many in the media.

That "system" claim in not new (I believe 2004 started the system talk with respect to players), and I suspect the mediots will cling to that theory rather than other explanations for success like planning, preparation, coaching, talent selection, team achievement and individual player ability (unless that combination were the "system" in their eyes but it is not as ability always sounds to be a minor factor or non-factor in those conversations) if the Patriots defy their low expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes