PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keys To Stopping Seahawks Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched the All 22 Seahawks Offense v. Packers Defense. Packers should not have lost that game just based on watching what I did. I couldn’t believe they won the game when I watched it live, and I am even more shocked they won after watching that.

Patriots Keys to Win and Stop Seahawks

#1 Stop Marshawn Lynch. There is not another thing even close. Everything runs through him, if you can manage to contain him you can beat them. There’s nothing else on their offense other than that. I’ve been listening to Mazzerotti for the last two weeks saying stopping Wilson is #1 key. He’s wrong. It’s not even close. The seahawks will run, run, run, run and keep running. They will not stop. Surprisingly, they played a little more 3 WR sets than I expected. I think they do this to take out a LB and put in a DB, and then run against a lighter Defense. Will be interesting to see if we run 3 Safeties and 2 Corners or 2 Safeties and 3 corners. My guess, and what I would do is go 3 Safeties (unless the 3rd corner is a better run stopper than the Safety).

#2 Keep Wilson uncomfortable. You do this by keeping him in the pocket. The Packers either played Zone or Man with a spy. Usually the spy was Clay Matthews or #21, I think Newsome.

#3. Man vs. Zone. In my opinion, you have to play Man. Seahawks WRs struggle against Man coverage, and I think struggle is too nice of a description. Basically all of Seahawks’ yardage came when the packers played zone. It did not work. Baldwin seems especially smart against zone. Verses man they could not seem to separate at all. If we play Zone, like we do vs. Jets, this will be an extremely frustrating game. And we will all lose a few years off of our lives. I am not sure if Wilson isn’t a good passer or his receivers aren’t good, but its one of them. The packers brought 4 just about every play. thats what we should do

How do you stop Marshawn Lynch. Each defensive player must maintain their gaps, especially and most importantly outside contain. They run basically all their runs where the lineman run in a direction and lynch waits and waits until he sees something open. My impression was that lynch isn’t that fast but more of a bruiser. That boy is fast. When Lynch comes to your gap you have to maintain your gap, tackle or least stall him and wait for help. The bigger plays of 10+ yards this week were basically all where the Seahawks linemen did their job and Lynch simply ran through a tackler. Branch, Wilfork, Siliga MUST MUST play well. Linebackers must tackle.

IFFFFFF we stop the run I cannot see them scoring more than 17 points. Hopefully we can score 18. I think that’s the magic number.

Last edited:
Pretty much nailed it for the most part. Many of us Hawk fans still in a bit of disbelief how we made it out of that one.

What you saw from Wilson was a guy who was pressing, also partly due to some poor WR play, but our vanilla route concepts certainly played their part too (we can be a terrible first quarter team, this lasted well into the third). We had put a huge emphasis on a quick passing attack in previous weeks, with rookie Paul Richardson playing a big part in opening up the field. We lost Paul to an ACL tear and as a result Kearse and Baldwin had to work harder to make their plays, with Kearse tipping two for interceptions in situations where he was barely open. Wilson was trying to force us into some rhythm, and it got ugly.

Also, I wouldn't ignore the conditions that day, we had some strong winds and both Quarterbacks had their struggles passing in it. That deep ball to Kearse that was intercepted by Clinton-Dix definitely held up a bit. It was maddening to see Wilson force those passes in the first half, particularly when there was space to try and run the ball. It is extremely rare to see Wilson make the same mistakes two games following, I expect to see him tuck and run more when given a whiff of an opportunity on Sunday. If he doesn't, we could be in for another long day.

Indeed, any realistic hopes of us winning this game lay in Marshawn Lynch's hands. I know it's becoming an old narrative but stack the box, go man on the outside. Had we had Paul Richardson this might have proved a little more difficult, but in Kearse and Baldwin you have two receivers who you have to be comfortable in being able to stop. If you go single safety help then you might not only have to account for a spy on read option, but an additional receiver in a 3 wide set. That'll effectively leave a six on six situation with Marshawn Lynch licking his lips in the backfield.

You have to be brave facing this team, Green Bay got stupid, I'm sure big balls Bill wont make those same mistakes.

Kick off can't come quick enough, eh!?

Awesome analysis Billdog

Just watched the All 22 Seahawks Offense v. Packers Defense. Packers should not have lost that game just based on watching what I did. I couldn’t believe they won the game when I watched it live, and I am even more shocked they won after watching that.

Patriots Keys to Win and Stop Seahawks

#1 Stop Marshawn Lynch. There is not another thing even close. Everything runs through him, if you can manage to contain him you can beat them. There’s nothing else on their offense other than that. I’ve been listening to Mazzerotti for the last two weeks saying stopping Wilson is #1 key. He’s wrong. It’s not even close. The seahawks will run, run, run, run and keep running. They will not stop. Surprisingly, they played a little more 3 WR sets than I expected. I think they do this to take out a LB and put in a DB, and then run against a lighter Defense. Will be interesting to see if we run 3 Safeties and 2 Corners or 2 Safeties and 3 corners. My guess, and what I would do is go 3 Safeties (unless the 3rd corner is a better run stopper than the Safety).

#2 Keep Wilson uncomfortable. You do this by keeping him in the pocket. The Packers either played Zone or Man with a spy. Usually the spy was Clay Matthews or #21, I think Newsome.

#3. Man vs. Zone. In my opinion, you have to play Man. Seahawks WRs struggle against Man coverage, and I think struggle is too nice of a description. Basically all of Seahawks’ yardage came when the packers played zone. It did not work. Baldwin seems especially smart against zone. Verses man they could not seem to separate at all. If we play Zone, like we do vs. Jets, this will be an extremely frustrating game. And we will all lose a few years off of our lives. I am not sure if Wilson isn’t a good passer or his receivers aren’t good, but its one of them. The packers brought 4 just about every play. thats what we should do

How do you stop Marshawn Lynch. Each defensive player must maintain their gaps, especially and most importantly outside contain. They run basically all their runs where the lineman run in a direction and lynch waits and waits until he sees something open. My impression was that lynch isn’t that fast but more of a bruiser. That boy is fast. When Lynch comes to your gap you have to maintain your gap, tackle or least stall him and wait for help. The bigger plays of 10+ yards this week were basically all where the Seahawks linemen did their job and Lynch simply ran through a tackler. Branch, Wilfork, Siliga MUST MUST play well. Linebackers must tackle.

IFFFFFF we stop the run I cannot see them scoring more than 17 points. Hopefully we can score 18. I think that’s the magic number.

I would like to add that the Pats are going to come out of the tunnel at the SB pissed off more than a badger stuck in a trap.

I agree on "Man with a Spy". The zone option risks taking away our CB vs. WR talent advantage. Understanding we'll mix things up, the general base that I would like is Collins as a spy as he has the speed to chase Wilson down and the physicality to rock him. Remember Wilson has 11 fumbles (all recovered by Seattle), Collins could definitely get one out. The other advantage of Collins as a spy is that whenever we want to we could blitz him instead just for variety and he'd be an extra LB against the run when they hand it off.

Shaun Ohara on nfln playbook showed that the pats are susceptible to the outside runs becuase the pats secondary is better at covering and not tackling runners .He showed some examples how miami,ravens and colts had success running outside. Wish I could find the video . He thinks Seattle will do something similar like they did last SB starting the game with a jet sweep.

FWIW, the Patriots have done a good job of limiting Marshawn Lynch during his career. That's not to say that it will not be a huge challenge to do so again; just commenting that Bill Belichick has done a pretty good job of scheming and game planning defensively against Lynch in the past.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00/gamelog/?opp_id=nwe

2007: Patriots win 38-7
20 rushes for 74 yards, 1 TD; 3.70 yards per carry
2 receptions for 6 yards, 0 TD; 3.0 yards per catch

2008: Patriots win 20-10
14 rushes for 46 yards, 0 TD; 3.29 yards per carry
0 receptions on 2 targets

2009: Patriots win 17-10
8 rushes for 25 yards, 0 TD; 3.13 yards per carry
0 receptions, 0 targets

2010: Patriots win 38-30
13 rushes for 79 yards, 0 TD; 6.08 yards per carry
1 reception on 1 target for 7 yards

2012: Seahawks win 24-23
15 rushes for 41 yards, 0 TD; 2.73 yards per carry
1 reception on 1 target for 11 yards

Five-Game Career Totals:
Patriots 4-1 vs Lynch
70 rushes for 265 yards, 1 TD; 3.79 yards per carry
4 receptions on 6 targets for 24 yards, 0 TD; 6.0 yards per catch

Per-Game Average:
14 rushes for 53 yards, 0.2 TD; 3.79 yards per carry
0.8 receptions for 4.8 yards; 6.0 yards per catch​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back