PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key to victory: Superbowl 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I like these threads as they include what the board feels our team should do against their opponet that week, given all the circumstances of that week.

And this week is the biggest of them all.

My keys:

1) Should you win the toss, take the ball and set the tempo (I know, I am in the minority on this one). Why? I believe we have a healthy gronk for the first half. Let's ride that horse.

2) Offensive line play. Needs to be the best it has been all year. Do not know what Vollmer's play will be like. Matt and Osi is always a battle. I want the meanest of mean coming out of 70. We need that pocket free of Giants.

3) I believe we have a shot at stretching the field. Someone mentioned previously that Underwood kid. We have 85, I know I know. We have Branch. You gotta take your shots in the first half casue I believe they will be expecting it in the second half.

4) Run the rock. Mankins said it. More reasons why the o-line need to be on their game. I would actually mix in Ridley. We need to throw everything at this team.

5) I would keep the 25/32 combo train rolling at safety. I believe Hicks is the straw that stirs that drink. Obvously Manningham and Cruz are off the charts. But if we can cover the middle, and get after 10 before those wideouts get their route down, we got a chance.

6) Playmakers on both sides of the ball, esp. defense. If I see Manning escape one more time I am sending BB and Kraft a bill for $1500 cause I will be throwing my laptop threw my tv. Wrap him up, make the play.

7) Field position. Will be big in this game. I still believe in 11. I think he is gonna be amped up more that his regular groping self. He is gonna make a play. (and I can live with him getting beat on a play, maybe two; but not all game on D).

5 days and counting...how am I gonna get the freak by?

It'll be interesting to see if they continue what seems to be working with DMcC moving back to safety in sub packages, or if they utilize more of a pure CB game with him, due to the "big 3" WR's from the NYG.

I think Cruz plays the slot, so I may be more inclined to put Arrington on him there (maybe?)

That would mean that DMcC and Moore would be taking the majority of the CB reps, with Arrington in the slot.

It's a hard one to defend, but it will be interesting to see how they combat that.

You make a great point about protecting the middle, as Ballard can certainly get us there too.

It may come down to Ihedigbo and Chung as the safeties, rather than a lot of McCourty. I don't know. I'm not pretending to know what'll happen, I am just talking about possible ways to defend. I am sure that BB will adjust if necessary.

Getting the ball first may not be a bad thing, but if so it will be b/c the NYG won the toss and chose to defer.

I like these threads as they include what the board feels our team should do against their opponet that week, given all the circumstances of that week.

And this week is the biggest of them all.

My keys:

1) Should you win the toss, take the ball and set the tempo (I know, I am in the minority on this one). Why? I believe we have a healthy gronk for the first half. Let's ride that horse.

2) Offensive line play. Needs to be the best it has been all year. Do not know what Vollmer's play will be like. Matt and Osi is always a battle. I want the meanest of mean coming out of 70. We need that pocket free of Giants.

3) I believe we have a shot at stretching the field. Someone mentioned previously that Underwood kid. We have 85, I know I know. We have Branch. You gotta take your shots in the first half casue I believe they will be expecting it in the second half.

4) Run the rock. Mankins said it. More reasons why the o-line need to be on their game. I would actually mix in Ridley. We need to throw everything at this team.

5) I would keep the 25/32 combo train rolling at safety. I believe Hicks is the straw that stirs that drink. Obvously Manningham and Cruz are off the charts. But if we can cover the middle, and get after 10 before those wideouts get their route down, we got a chance.

6) Playmakers on both sides of the ball, esp. defense. If I see Manning escape one more time I am sending BB and Kraft a bill for $1500 cause I will be throwing my laptop threw my tv. Wrap him up, make the play.

7) Field position. Will be big in this game. I still believe in 11. I think he is gonna be amped up more that his regular groping self. He is gonna make a play. (and I can live with him getting beat on a play, maybe two; but not all game on D).

1) 5 days and counting...how am I gonna get the freak by?

1) I wouldn't mind this.

2) Goes w/o saying. They should be ok since Brady takes shorter drops this year.

3) I foolishly agree with this. C'mon OCHO!! I don't have much faith in Branch stretching the field.

4) Yes on Ridley, but if what Mangini says is accurate, it will be clogged up in their.

5) Not sure what 25/32 means.

6) Agree. For some reason I'm feeling a Defensive TD. Wishful thinking??

7) Edel-GROPER! Just don't let it slip through your hands. Grab it tight.
Field postion was the key to Giants victory in the reg season game. Pats started out inside their own 20 almost every time in the first half and had to play conservatively

Last edited:
My three keys are simpler

#1) Be the more physical team both on offense and D. Run the ball and have our OL punish their pass rushing DL. Stop their running game by punishing Bradshaw and Jacobs and make them one dimensional. When their receivers catch the ball punish them with physical hits. Cruz and Manningham are not big guys and Nicks has a bad shoulder. The hits will add up.

#2) NO Turnovers, make them go a long way each and every time they want to score. No short field, EVER.

#3) No stupid penalties, especially on 3rd downs.

I think if the Pats can accomplish these three we WIN!

My three keys are simpler

#1) Be the more physical team both on offense and D. Run the ball and have our OL punish their pass rushing DL. Stop their running game by punishing Bradshaw and Jacobs and make them one dimensional. When their receivers catch the ball punish them with physical hits. Cruz and Manningham are not big guys and Nicks has a bad shoulder. The hits will add up.

#2) NO Turnovers, make them go a long way each and every time they want to score. No short field, EVER.

#3) No stupid penalties, especially on 3rd downs.

I think if the Pats can accomplish these three we WIN!

Another simple key is tackling, specifically SECONDARY TACKLING.

I also think the offense needs to be aggressive and go-for-it on 4th downs, when reasonable, ie not deep in their own territory.

Last edited:
Another simple key is tackling, specifically SECONDARY TACKLING.

I also thing the offense needs to be aggressive and go-for-it on 4th downs, when reasonable, ie not deep in their own territory.

Most of their big plays are because of YAC. Cruz 99 yarder against the Jets was just a 10yd pass. The big play down the sideline against Dallas. Should have been a 12-15 yarder. Nicks big play against Atlanta should have been a 12-15 yarder. Very important to prevent big plays. No kidding..LOL

OL play is my key. If they play well, we'll be able to run a little. Brady will have time to throw. If they don't, we'll probably throw a couple of picks and struggle in the running game. Probably lose that turnover battle if they don't play well.

I'll leave the X's and O's to BB and his coaches, though a lot of things people have said in this thread make a lot of sense.

The only "Key" that I'll propose is that the Pats can't afford to turn the ball over; Brady threw two picks and Special Teams coughed it up once vs. the Ravens. The Pats used up all their playoff "luck" in that game when Ridley's fumble (potentially TO #4) went OB, when the tying FG went "Wide Left" and when the knockdown on Evans in the end zone wasn't called a TD*.

If anything, the Pats D will have to score or set the Offense up to score 7--10 points if they are going to win.

(*Before you flame me on the latter, please understand my point. I agree that it was NOT a catch, based on the careful analysis of the stop motion replays overnight after the game. But had it been called a TD on the field, it would have been hard to find the "incontrovertible" evidence needed to overturn that call in the 90 seconds the Ref gets under the hood. In real time, IMO, it could have been called either way. We got lucky that it was called correctly. That's my only point.)

Last edited:
Run the ball effectively. It will take the pressure and pass rush off of TB. If the pats can run the ball effectively it will disrupt what is most likely the Giants defensive game plan. I'm pretty sure That plan is to force TB to throw to the outside by clogging up the middle with DB'S.

Stop the Giants from running and force them to be one dimensional.

NO TURNOVERS, hear that TB, don't force the ball.

Last edited:
I'll leave the X's and O's to BB and his coaches, though a lot of things people have said in this thread make a lot of sense.

The only "Key" that I'll propose is that the Pats can't afford to turn the ball over; Brady threw two picks and Special Teams coughed it up once vs. the Ravens. The Pats used up all their playoff "luck" in that game when Ridley's fumble (potentially TO #4) went OB, when the tying FG went "Wide Left" and when the knockdown on Evans in the end zone wasn't called a TD*.

If anything, the Pats D will have to score or set the Offense up to score 7--10 points if they are going to win.

(*Before you flame me on the latter, please understand my point. I agree that it was NOT a catch, based on the careful analysis of the stop motion replays overnight after the game. But had it been called a TD on the field, it would have been hard to find the "incontrovertible" evidence needed to overturn that call in the 90 seconds the Ref gets under the hood. In real time, IMO, it could have been called either way. We got lucky that it was called correctly. That's my only point.)

Yeah, we were somewhat lucky to have escaped that game victorious. There were certainly some questionable moves and calls that don't usually represent this team.

That said, I will have to admit that I hope they regain the proper focus like in the first playoff game vs DEN. It will take that kind of effort to win the game Sunday night, and nothing short of it.

I am OK playing the field position game...just keep pinning Eli back.

They are without a doubt going to move the ball up and down the field on the Patriots. I doubt this will be like the Baltimore game with two or three consecutive three and outs to start the game by their offense...BUT, can the Patriots' defense hold them to field goals. That's what kept Baltimore in the game against the Pats - hold them to FG in the red zone - and it would go very far in keeping the Patriots in the game.
Yes, I know the defense is playing "better", but they haven't necessarily been playing the 99 St. Louis Rams of late. Lest we forget, this defense got down 21-0 to Buffalo in the last game of the season, a must win game, before Ryan Fitzpatrick began playing catch with the Pats. In another "must win" game, the immortal Matt Moore moved up and down the field in the first half at will on this defense.
I'm sick of hearing it, just like everyone else, but the NYG offense is the best offense the Patriots have faced probably all season, especially with how they've been playing of late. It's going to be the typical Patriots defensive performance against average or better quarterbacks with average or better passing games. The Pats are going to give up 3rd and longs all day, but the question is will the defense "stiffen" at the goal line. It absolutely has to against the NYG. I totally see the Pats employing their usual two deep safety look with the defenders playing way off the line of scrimmage against the receivers in an effort not to give up "the big play". It is going to be a frustrating game to watch for this reason - there's going to be that impending sense of doom as the NYG march down the field on this defense.
The key is going to be hold them to FG attempts and to absolutely take advantage of any opportunities at turnovers - if there's a ball to be picked off, the Patriots MUST make the play; if there's a ball on the ground, the Patriots MUST recover it.
As much as I'd absolutely love to fool myself into thinking something different,and that Brady's going to go 32-38-350 and 4 TDs, a leopard doesn't change his spots and more often than not Brady doesn't play his best against "good" defensive teams that can pressure him with three and four man rushes and effectively cover the receivers with 7 or 8. We all know this. He was lights out against Denver because the line protected him well and Denver's secondary is not good. He didn't play his best against Baltimore because he forced throws, made several bad throws, and got picked off twice....and Baltimore's secondary played very well all game. Their secondary was excellent just about all season.
My heart tells me the Patriots, and especially Brady, are absolutely due for a clean game on Sunday. My heart tells me the NYG were very fortunate against SF and they were fortunate that the GB receivers had the dropsies in some very key situations.
My head tells me, and maybe its the constant media barrage, that the NYG are playing at "such a high level", at least that's what the talking heads on ESPN tell me, that the Patriots have no shot. They can't block the NYG front four and their quarterback is better than ours if you listen to much of the national media.
GO PATS

Timing his entrance into the game for 6:40 vs. 6:30 isn't a big deal. More important to get back into the flow after a long halftime. If the Giants end the 1st half with the ball, lose one Gronk drive in the 1st half...but not a big enough deal not to defer. My concern is giving up a soul-sucking 10 minute drive that sets the tone for the rest of the game like SB 42. However I like the idea of letting the defense (after getting dumped on all year) start the game with a big stop.

If the Giants play the same defense as November, they are vulnerable outside the numbers short (screens) and deep (double moves). They play 3 safeties but frequently only have one playing deep middle. If the Pats can get wide, there may not be much resistance.

The Giants have situational subs for run vs. pass. The key is to stay in favorable down/distance to keep the run threat alive. Ditch the empty backfield and play action (even from the shotgun) on every pass. If the Giants can play pass without hesitation, they can do what they do best. If they have to diagnose run vs. pass on every play and can't get their situational guys on the field when they want, they just aren't that great of a defense.

The biggest undiscussed factor in both the November game and in the Giants upset of GB. Need to change field position in the kicking game and can't have negative plays (penalties, sacks, etc.) that quickly change the disposition of a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes