Welcome to PatsFans.com

Key To Top Half Of Draft: Does Parcells Believe Ryan Can Have Bledsoe Like Impact?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Brady'sButtBoy, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's really all The Tuna is asking himself right now. If Ryan can come in and re-energize the entire franchise, then the Tuna can go home in a year or two with his legend intact. I doubt Big Bill is spending much time wondering if Ryan is a Super Bowl type of QB because I don't figure the Tuna is going to be around the entire 3-4 years a reasonable fan would expect it to take to get the Dolphins to the top of league. All Parcells needs is to believe Ryan can come in, start right away, win some games almost on his own, and show some willingness to lead.

If the Fins take Ryan number 1 then all kinds of things change down the line for the Pats, the first being it will likely be harder to move down. I like the idea of Chicago making a move for Ryan if he slips down to us but don't underestimate Mangini's willingness to get back at the Pats - he'd be sure to offer the QB to Bears before we could.
  2. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Re: Key To Top Half Of Draft: Does Parcells Believe Ryan Can Have Bledsoe Like Impact

I'd be OK with that. All it means is that one of the top 6 guys falls to us and we won't have to reach on anyone.
  3. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Re: Key To Top Half Of Draft: Does Parcells Believe Ryan Can Have Bledsoe Like Impact

It's unlikely they will select Ryan with McCown, Beck, and Lemon on the roster. Granted Ryan will be better than all the of them, but they need a lore more help on D.

The Bears would more likely want to trade with the Pats as the Pats don't need a QB and the Bears could pay Ryan #7 money instead of #6.
  4. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Lemon signed with the Jags for 3yrs and $9m, which in itself is a head scratcher, but even with just McCown and Beck, I think the 'Phins will look elsewhere at #1. My money's on Jake Long.
  5. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I do not think it is even close in BP's mind. I think he takes a player with the last name Long.

I also think Atlanta and KC will pass on Ryan as well.

Every team out there knows that if the Jets try to bleed them in a trade down, they still can make a deal with the Pats.

I wouls still love to see the Pats trade down into the mid teens, pick up and additional second and wind up with:
    Round #1 OLB Groves Auburn (desperately needed outside speed rusher)
    Round #2A CB Cason Arizona (Great in zones and adds return abilities)
    Round #2B NT Bryant Texas A&M (best 3-4 NT in the draft. Excellent at anchoring against double teams in the middle)
    Round #3A ILB Goff (excellent instincts, size,speed and smarts.)
    Round #3B TE Carlson (Ran a 4.7 at his pro day and is the most complete TE in the draft) Round #4 OG McGlynn (Neal might start the year on the PUP.)
    Round #5 CB Jackson LSU (Good Ball skills and excellent in zone coverage)
    Round #6 S Barber Minnesota (Above average ball skills. Over looked on a horrible team. And if Merriweather moves to CB, the Pats need a young safety that can play special teams)
    Round #7 RB/FB Hester (Mr. Versatility and Dependability. Clutch and a play maker. A flat out warrior.)
  6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Parcells actually has quite a bit riding on this draft in terms of his reputation.

Of course the Fins have no where to go but up - making it overall a no lose situation - but still, for this draft, #1 and he's buying the groceries. If he flubs it and drafts Ryan Leaf (or Rick Mirer for that matter), its all on him.

But while I question whether Parcells is a Super Bowl caliber coach anymore, I do think that in terms of rebuilding a franchise, there's no one better to restore credibility to an organization.
  7. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And he'll do it fast as well.
  8. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Good question. Do you take the guy who is such a question mark to lead your franchise? Do you draft Long and make your D quicker?
  9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Sorry, gotta disagree. If Ryan goes #1, then someone is likely to want to move up to take McFadden, Dorsey or Ellis. Whichever is there at 7 to be had.
  10. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I actually think Minnesota is a team that'll look to move up. Chris Long and Vernon Gholston look to go early, leaving Phillip Harvey as a key target for the Vikes. DE is really the only glaring hole on their roster, and with an extra third this year, I think they'll look to move up to get him. It's just a question of how long they wait. But I'd take their first two rounders. I think 17 is a good position in this draft for us.
  11. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Parcells only lasted 3 years with the Jets and 4 with the Pats before that, only 4 in Dallas and there was a feeling he wanted out even before that. There seems to be a pattern there and that's why I'm guessing he's a short timer for the Fins as well (Parcells does make his home up the coast in Jupiter however). Few would argue the size of The Tuna's ego. So with his self-absorbtion and short term employment record in mind, I'm led to believe Parcells won't have the patience to take Jake Long. Chris Long would have a more dramatic impact so he'd come before Jake but when will the Fins hold the number overall pick again? When will the Tuna get to make the big, franchise turning QB choice again?

The QB hell Parcells went through in Dallas sits as fresh reminder that no team succeeds without a winning QB. While I'm not convinced Ryan has the tools to have the Bledsoe effect, I'd say The Tuna is very susceptible to idea that no player could be more integral to the Dolphins winning now than Ryan.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  12. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There's a huge difference between being VP of operations and being the head coach. There's less stress so I would expect him to hold onto this job for a while. Espeically if it's close to home like you mentioned. If I were Parcells I would start building up the line and know it will take a few years. This is easily the worst team he's ever had to clean up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.