PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key Matchups: Colvin vs. McKinnie, Mankins vs K. Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Matchup #1
Colvin by and large has stood up well against the run, despite a bad play here or there, such as the first play of the Bills game. Alot has been made about how dominating the left side of the Viking line is. IMO this is an exaggeration. McKinnie is solid but not a pro-bowl caliber player, despite his immense size and hefty new contract. Colvin faced superior players (but different style athletes) in Denver's Lepsis and Cinci's Levi Jones. Lepsis handled him easily, against Jones Colvin sealed well. Of course, Cinci prefers to run between the tackles, so Colvin's opportunities to seal were limited. In those cases when Minnesota runs to the weak side, which they do less frequently than has been portrayed, Hutchinson will likely be able to handle Jarvis one on one (assuming Seymour DNP), leaving Mckinnie to block Colvin. If Minnesota can exploit this matchup, C. Taylor will run successfully and force the Pats to play Harrison in the box, opening up the field for Brad Johnson.

Matchup #2
On the other side of the ball, the key matchup IMO is Mankins against K. Williams. Judging from Koppen's performance against K. Traylor in the Miami game, there is no way our brave C can handle Pat Williams one on one. Neal and Koppen will have to join forces for that task. Light IMO will have much more success against Udeze than he did against Schobel. Udeze does not have that caliber of quickness. However, that leaves Mankins with the enormous job of handling all-world DT K. Williams out of Oklahoma State. When healthy, a good argument can be made that K. Williams is the best DT in the NFL, including Seymour and Harris et. al. in the mix. He had a down year last year due to a knee injury, but during his first 2 seasons boggled the imagination by registering 21.5 sacks from the DT position. Our wonderboy, Mankins, faces the sternest test of his young career Monday Night. It will be mano a mano against this monster, and Mankins will get to prove how much all that offseason strength training has come in handy. Mankins' success will stimy the negative plays that the PP-eaters thrive on against the run and also give Brady time in the pocket to establish rhythm with his wideouts.

Conclusion.
If Colvin and Mankins win the majority of their matchups, the Pats will win this game going away. To do so, those two players will have to play their best game of the year. The most likely scenario? A mixed bag. 16-14 Pats.

Last edited:
Pat Williams - played the middle for Buffalo alongside Sam Adams. Koppen has been playing against him since his rookie days, somehow I don't recall him being overwhelmed too often against the middle of the Buffalo line.

Green is 6'3", Hutchinson is 6'5", McKinnie 6'8" - length of arm advantage Minnesota, leverage (getting under the opponent's pad level) seems to lean toward New England. Additionally, If McKinnie is working against Colvin, that leaves no one to block the ILB (Bruschi or Seau for those in doubt).

Box_O_Rocks said:
Pat Williams - played the middle for Buffalo alongside Sam Adams. Koppen has been playing against him since his rookie days, somehow I don't recall him being overwhelmed too often against the middle of the Buffalo line.

Green is 6'3", Hutchinson is 6'5", McKinnie 6'8" - length of arm advantage Minnesota, leverage (getting under the opponent's pad level) seems to lean toward New England. Additionally, If McKinnie is working against Colvin, that leaves no one to block the ILB (Bruschi or Seau for those in doubt).

The Pats usually controlled P. Williams with a double team in his Buffalo days. Also, there are reasons to believe P. Williams is playing better than he ever has before. When Seattle runs left they generally use a traditional blocking fullback, Tony Richardson (late of the KC chiefs) to account for the ILB.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
The Pats usually controlled P. Williams with a double team in his Buffalo days. Also, there are reasons to believe P. Williams is playing better than he ever has before. When Seattle runs left they generally use a traditional blocking fullback, Tony Richardson (late of the KC chiefs) to account for the ILB.
I'm confused...:confused:

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm confused...:confused:
Obviously I was talking about Minnesota, the team Richardson plays for, not Seattle.:)

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Obviously I was talking about Minnesota, the team Richardson plays for, not Seattle.:)
Okay, I see your Richardson and raise you one Wilfork. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back