PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key Jags game matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can our OL handle the Jags front 7? This will be the key to the game.

Will we be able to protect Brady effectively? Will we be able to produce a running game that will be effective enough to make play action credible and to keep them guessing?

If we can do this, esp without keeping a TE to block at all times, we will win. If we can't, it will be a rough night, IMO.

Pats O vs. Jags D: I expect the Pats to play a lot of 2-TE sets, lots of tough, diverse play calling, with a smathering of keeping-it-honest, up-the-middle runs and intermediate throws to Branch and Givens. Jags fans say there's a weakness defending TEs -- hot dog! This will be vintage Pats O -- variety and ball control. Pats will get their 20-24 points.

Jags O vs. Pats D: Pats will stop the run at all costs, create mayhem up front, and put the game on Leftwich's arm. Can he be accurate enough to score 21+ points going over the top? He has extraordinarily tall receivers going against a secondary with question marks. It's an interesting scenario: Pats haven't faced a real passer in weeks; Leftwich hasn't faced ANY defense in weeks!!

Other factors: the cold, special teams, playoff experience, coaching -- all favor the Pats.

Bottom line: Jags need to air it out like Cin, Indy, or Den to win, IMHO.

I dont remember the last time we lost a game because of our OL against a tough D.
I know that in many of the 9 straight playoff wins that was the perceived 'mtachup problem' but it never came to be.

In 2002, we lost games because of the OL, and breakdowns in protection. I dont remember any since. As far as the running game, I dont think we've ever had an incompetant running game vs anyone. Yes, there were games when we didnt total a lot of yards, but those mostly were because we were behind due to other factors and stopped running.

The unusung facet of this dynasty is that every time throughout it when we faced a tough D in the playoffs, our Metaphors, roundly considered pretty average by NFL observers, never got outplayed badly, if at all.

re:

I think it comes down to Jags receivers vs. our secondary.

Also, Tedy Bruschi's health will be a major factor, IMO

AndyJohnson said:
I dont remember the last time we lost a game because of our OL against a tough D.
I know that in many of the 9 straight playoff wins that was the perceived 'mtachup problem' but it never came to be.

In 2002, we lost games because of the OL, and breakdowns in protection. I dont remember any since. As far as the running game, I dont think we've ever had an incompetant running game vs anyone. Yes, there were games when we didnt total a lot of yards, but those mostly were because we were behind due to other factors and stopped running.

The unusung facet of this dynasty is that every time throughout it when we faced a tough D in the playoffs, our Metaphors, roundly considered pretty average by NFL observers, never got outplayed badly, if at all.
bump for the metiphors :cool:

AndyJohnson said:

Correct in everything that you said. However, the strength of JAX is the front 7, so that has to be the key matchup. There have been times this year that we haven't handled a good front 7 well (SD & Car) and it resulted in losses.

I not saying we won't handle them. I'm just saying that it could be a rough night for us if we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes