PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Rouseau's Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
In his most recent article, Kevin Rousseau had this to say. I find it humorous, yet sad that something written on this very website would be so trite and inaccurate. Some choice morsels:

When was the last time you felt there was a pretty good chance that the Pats were going to get throttled in their next game? Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Did you watch last year? By midseason, I was surprised when NE's D played well. The Indy game last year felt more like a blowout waiting to happen than this one.

It’s the realization that your team just isn’t very good and stands a good chance of not even making the playoffs. The rest of the season becomes a washout

But take a cue from your team’s financial management plan and cut back on your expectations for this season. If you do, you may be pleasantly surprised when they go 10-6 or 11-5 like I still think they will.

I'm sorry, but this is overreaction at it's worst. So a team that NE historically struggles against came in and beat NE pretty soundly, and all of a sudden 10-6 would be a pleasant surprise?! Don't any of these hacks realize that Denver, while certainly being more successful than NE on offense, basically won this game with two big plays? And that NE was inches from making two of their own (Troy Brown drop on the flea-flicker and the Caldwell deep pass broken up at the last second)? NE didn't make the plays, but it wasn't like they weren't there.

Unless there is some ingenious plan that I don’t see, right now the Krafts are sitting on $10 million in cap space while Tom Brady holds the ball for six or seven seconds looking for anyone to get open. Keep in mind Tom Brady put the team first and took a hometown discount a few years ago in order to keep the team strong. No wonder Tom Brady’s body language looks so awful.

Does this guy even browse the MBs on the site he writes for? NE hasn't been sitting on their hands. They have been out there giving competitive offers to every single major player that left sans McGinest, as well as old friend Law. Just because the players had their reason to not want to play here, does not mean NE didn't try. And Brady's own words dispute the notion that he is disgruntled due to the cheapness of the FO. He is upset because the process of learning on the job is frustrating. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do my best to remain calm when I read crap like this from other media members who shall remain nameless. But to put out garbage like this on this site? C'mon.

Well, I hear what you're trying to say but it is the "inches" from not making the big plays which put miles between teams like AZ and the Pats of the last few years. Almost counts for zero...

Oswlek said:
In his most recent article, Kevin Rousseau had this to say. I find it humorous, yet sad that something written on this very website would be so trite and inaccurate. Some choice morsels:

Did you watch last year? By midseason, I was surprised when NE's D played well. The Indy game last year felt more like a blowout waiting to happen than this one.

I'm sorry, but this is overreaction at it's worst. So a team that NE historically struggles against came in and beat NE pretty soundly, and all of a sudden 10-6 would be a pleasant surprise?! Don't any of these hacks realize that Denver, while certainly being more successful than NE on offense, basically won this game with two big plays? And that NE was inches from making two of their own (Troy Brown drop on the flea-flicker and the Caldwell deep pass broken up at the last second)? NE didn't make the plays, but it wasn't like they weren't there.

Does this guy even browse the MBs on the site he writes for? NE hasn't been sitting on their hands. They have been out there giving competitive offers to every single major player that left sans McGinest, as well as old friend Law. Just because the players had their reason to not want to play here, does not mean NE didn't try. And Brady's own words dispute the notion that he is disgruntled due to the cheapness of the FO. He is upset because the process of learning on the job is frustrating. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do my best to remain calm when I read crap like this from other media members who shall remain nameless. But to put out garbage like this on this site? C'mon.

If, if, if. If Troy Brown did this, if that one defensive back didn't make a routine play, if this, if that. Boy, IF all those things were true, things would be great. Oh yeah, and I bet you came on this board last year and said the Colts were going to blowout the Pats, right? I'm sure you did. Everyone knew that was going to be a blowout....a year later. Hey, I want to play the lottery tonight. I'll call you in a year and get the winning numbers.

Last year I would have responded to the article they way you did. This year, I regret to say I think it doesn't upset me because I accept it has some truth to it. I believe the current 2006 season is just a painful continuation of the 2005 season. Beat the poor teams and get pummeled by the good teams. Last year I used the injury excuse for us and if a couple plays just went the other way for us we could have been a Super bowl winner. This year we are singing the same tune. It's just the words to the song are slightly different. "If we could sign this player and if we just made this tackle..." yada, yada, yada.

I believe this Cinci game is a critical game for our Super bowl aspirations. I think we really need to win this to prove that we can beat a really good team on the road. Otherwise I can predict the future for us...10-6 win AFC Division, win first round playoff game then go on the road and get trounced by Indy, Cinci, Denver or San Diego.

Last edited:
rabthepat said:
I believe this Cinci game is a critical game for our Super bowl aspirations. I think we really need to win this to prove that we can beat a really good team on the road. Otherwise I can predict the future for us...10-6 win AFC Division, win first round playoff game then go on the road and get trounced by Indy, Cinci, Denver or San Diego.

Remember, even after this game, regardless of what happens, it's only game 4. Put into perspective, we've finished the first quarter of the season. When's the last time you declared a game over after the first quarter?

CheerforTom said:
Remember, even after this game, regardless of what happens, it's only game 4. Put into perspective, we've finished the first quarter of the season. When's the last time you declared a game over after the first quarter?

I agree it's not over but like I said I think it puts us in the same spot as last year after San Diego came in and trounced us 41-17. Our weaknesses get exposed and our options become limited at that point. We are stuck with who we are and what we are. Last year we were a passing team that couldn't run much and gave up the big pass on defense. This year we are a running team that can't pass to well and gives up the big pass play on defense. Last year we kept waiting for the on switch to change our year around and it never really happened. This year I think the wait is over and gets answered this week against Cinci.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:

I'm sorry, but this is overreaction at it's worst. So a team that NE historically struggles against came in and beat NE pretty soundly, and all of a sudden 10-6 would be a pleasant surprise?!

You said it right there. It's all about expectations. Do you honestly expect New England to win 12 or 14 games each year? In their 46 year history New England has only won more than 11 games in a regular season twice.

I for one always think 10-6 is a pleasant surprise.

Murphys95 said:
You said it right there. It's all about expectations. Do you honestly expect New England to win 12 or 14 games each year? In their 46 year history New England has only won more than 11 games in a regular season twice.

I expected with a healthy team 13 to 14 wins....that is why I am so disappointed....

I'm Ron Borges? said:
If, if, if. If Troy Brown did this, if that one defensive back didn't make a routine play, if this, if that. Boy, IF all those things were true, things would be great. Oh yeah, and I bet you came on this board last year and said the Colts were going to blowout the Pats, right? I'm sure you did. Everyone knew that was going to be a blowout....a year later. Hey, I want to play the lottery tonight. I'll call you in a year and get the winning numbers.

You need a hug

This fool must not have watched the Pitt Cinn game. Pitt made so many mistakes and Cinn only won by 8. They hardly thrashed them more like got handed the win by Pitts punt returner.

Dagg said:
This fool must not have watched the Pitt Cinn game. Pitt made so many mistakes and Cinn only won by 8. They hardly thrashed them more like got handed the win by Pitts punt returner.

No doubt - all these "holy crap we can't beat Cincy!!" media people clearly did NOT watch last weeks game. Pittsburgh absolutely dominated Cincinatti despite their QB playing like absolute crap. There was one possession where Phil Simms rightly noted that it just looked like Carson Palmer was just trying to stay healthy for 3 downs and get the F off the field.

So this idea that Cincy is invincible b/c they beat the Steelers is downright ridiclous and only perpetuated by media members who saw the box score and not the game.

Murphys95 said:

It might be just semantics, but when I see the phrase "pleasant surprise", I think of "definitely possible, but unlikely to happen." In other words, the view that NE winning 10-11 games is a pleasant surprise is saying that you think that they are a 8-9 win team.

Even after the loss to Denver, if this team wins less than 10 games, I will eat my shirt.

Well, I hear what you're trying to say but it is the "inches" from not making the big plays which put miles between teams like AZ and the Pats of the last few years. Almost counts for zero...

This was the nice version of the two first replies. They are both wrong, however. The consensus seems to be that NE was blown off the field this past week, and their offense is broken beyond repair. My reply to that is that it was almost entirely a matter of timing that caused the passing game to sputter, and that is what you would expect to be the biggest problem with 4 new WRs, 3 of which who weren't in training camp. There were plays that I feel NE will make later in the year. I don't understand why that seems like pie in the sky nonsense to some people.

By the end of the year NE will be a very, very strong team, barring major injury mishaps (knock wood).

The question is whether we can win enough games early to finish with some home field advantage, or whether we need to play on the road through the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back