Welcome to PatsFans.com

Kevin O'Connell would bring much more excitement to the season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyToMoss, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are already starting, why not Kevin O'Connell? Neither of these guys have NFL experience, but that's what this game is about is getting opportunities and learning.

Matt Cassell is what he is, we know what we'll more than likely get out of him now that he's in his 4th year. I mean he comes in to the Miami game last year and throws one into Jason Taylor's numbers for a pick-6. Yesterday, he should have had atleast one of not two picked off against a really weak defense. Matt Cassell is what he is, let's face it.

Personally, I would rather see Kevin O'Connell, it would be great to watch Kevin grow and learn and yes make mistakes, but really speed up his development, I think he showed alot of promise in the preseason. He's big and mobile and has a big arm, I would love to see him get his chance instead of Cassell.

Cassell on the road is a scary thought. I think things might get ugly for him this Sunday.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

are you and Briz the same person?

this isn't a witty response, it's a serious question.
  3. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In BB I trust. When the kid is ready, BB will trot him out there. When he does, I'll know it's right call.:D
  5. wiggins!

wiggins! Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

if i wanted excitement i'd spend my sunday's at the track or at foxwoods. I want wins. don't care how they happen! Just get em! O'Connell doesn't do that. Cassell gives you a better chance.
  6. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Brady on the road in 2001 was scary also.

Since you clearly are an O'Connell fan and think that he's the next big thing and you seem to imply that Cassel was the reason the Patriots almost lost yesterday please answer the following:

1) Was Matt Cassel on the field when either of Randy Moss, Wes Welker or Matt Slater committed their fumbles yesterday?

2) Was Matt Cassel on the field at the end of the game when the secondary broke down and allowed the long completion to Devard Darling?

3) Was Matt Cassel the one responsible for the 2 conscutive 3 and outs in the 4th quarter? You know where the 1st series ended when Morris missed a blitz pick-up on a stunt and the 2nd series where they tried to run the ball 3 straight times only to get stuffed on the 3rd one.

4) Was Matt Cassel the one responsible for the Patriots offense only getting the ball ONCE in the 3rd quarter and allowing the Chiefs to have the ball for roughly 8 minutes and 35 seconds.

I'd love to hear your answers and your explanations.
  7. Gicksauce

Gicksauce Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I want O'Connell too

if he thinks he's ready, send him out

Cassell is a waste of everyone's time
  8. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

DaBruinz, this was the Kansas City Chiefs, arguably the worst football team to take the field this season. Look, Matt had a decent game yesterday, but let's keep it all in perspective, we still only scored 17 points against a horrible defense.

Did he play decently yesterday, sure he did. Let's keep it in perspective though, he was on his home field against a bad defense and still almost threw two picks. BB brings him into the Miami game last year and on his first freakin play he drops back and throws a frozen rope into Jason Taylor's numbers for 6 points. You can't do those things in year 3.

Was I happy with the conservative 3 and out (3 runs) at mid field, no ! Like I said, Josh McDaniels has to lose that stupid Heath Evans full back dive, it's the worst play in football and NEVER, EVER gains anything and it was a horrible call.

I think you are going to be singing a different tune on Matt Cassell after he plays the Jets in the Meadowlands, we'll talk next Monday, how does that sound?

I would rather see O'Connell at this point DaBruinz, that's my opinion.
  9. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If BB thinks Cassel is the Pats best chance to win, then I think Cassel is the Pats best chance to win.
  10. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    This coming from the self- proclaimed Madden champ who thinks that, because he is so good at Madden, he knows how to build a true NFL football franchise?

Here are a few facts that you seem to over-look about the Madden football game.

1) All the numbers they use for players are arbitrary.
    2) Madden, in no way, accounts for player's attitudes or intelligence.
    3) Madden, in no way, accounts for the coaches abilities to diagnose a game and make changes to the game plan on the fly.

What is a waste of everyone's time is trolls who come in here pretending to be Pats fans.
  11. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What did Matt Cassel do to piss people off so much? Yesterday was the most we've ever seen of him, and he played quite well.
  12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    It's not too late this season for you to jump ship and officially embrace the Jets as your team.
    Think about it. You'll be happier because that short sighted reactionary, Bill Belichick, ain't gonna go with O'C next week.
  13. Gicksauce

Gicksauce Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

DaBruinz, you seem to think Cassell is a legitimate NFL quarterback for a team which should make the super bowl with the talent they have

No one should ever listen to you again
  14. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Yet again, someone paid the $$$ for first-row tickets at Small Sample Size Theatre. How about the drive in the Colts game yesterday where Manning started at his own 12 and ended up giving up a safety on two plays? He's been in the league for 10 years--he certainly shouldn't be doing that! :rolleyes:
  15. Gicksauce

Gicksauce Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They won on a goalline stand against the Chiefs at home
  16. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Need I reel off the many ways in which the Patriots have won games in the Brady-BB era? There's no wrong way to win a ball game.

Cassel had a huge 98 yard drive, had a key drive in the 2nd half, and led them to that extremely important field goal in the 4th.

He did literally everything that was asked of him. And then some. He's not going to be Tom Brady.
  17. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Let me know when you actually put things in perspective. I've done so. No where have I touted Matt Cassel as the next coming. I've said Matt did everything he needed to NOT lose the game. That is what is expected of a back-up QB.

I always find it amazing when I put up questions about a game and people ignore them go off on tangents like they know more about what happened than anyone else.

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and Nuclear bombs. Let me know when you understand that. You clearly don't.

BTW, I suggest you go and review Brady's year 3. He had some doozy interceptions thrown. Did you ever stop and think that maybe its your own expectations that are out of whack? Nope. Clearly you haven't.

You are entitled to your opinion, however flawed it may be. But just remember that I am just as entitled to MY opinion and entitled to voice my opinion on your opinion.

I'll be here next Monday after watching Cassel make his 1st ever NFL start. Unlike most people, I'll keep it in that perpsective. I can guarantee that the people who are yelling for O'Connell right now won't do that.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  18. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    And just how was it Cassel's fault that the Patriots had to make a goalline stand? Does Cassel play on the defense now?

I noticed that you haven't bothered to answer the questions asked. Is that because they would require some thought on your part?
  19. Gicksauce

Gicksauce Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

wow, he lead the best offense in the NFL to a field goal against the Chiefs!!

gooooooo matt cassell
  20. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

"I'll be here next Monday after watching Cassel make his 1st ever NFL start. Unlike most people, I'll keep it in that perpsective. I can guarantee that the people who are yelling for O'Connell right now won't do that."

I am fully expecting Cassell to literally piss his pants in NY this Sunday, I am banking on it. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do and I'm no bandwagon fan. I sat on those cold bleacher benches (seasons tickets) through the late 80's and ugly early 90's, so I'll be watching this Sunday, pulling for Matt. I just don't have the same confidence in him as you do.

I am excited about Kevin O'Connell, aren't you? Didn't you like what he showed in the preseason? Let's turn the tables are you just down on O'Connell because he's a rookie? So isn't Flacco and the Ravens have made a team decision to start his development (yes because of injuries, just like our situation) and I think before this is all said and done, we may be seeing K.Okie in there alot earlier than you think.
  21. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    So, let me get this straight. Because I point out the facts of yesterday's game and you can't be bothered to actually rebutt them, I am the ignorant one who everyone should stop listening to?

Listen, Matt Cassel is a legitimate Back-up NFL QB. He did his job yesterday and that was to NOT LOSE the game. He didn't throw an interception yesterday. Hell, he actually saved the team's arse by making that 50 yard completion to Randy Moss.

Considering how ill thought out your posts have been Gick, you are the one no one should listen to.
  22. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If (and its a big if) Cassel has a decent game at NYJ and leads us to a win - will some of you people come back and say you were wrong?

Kid has a decent arm, lets hope McDaniels trusts him with it and the OL doesnt let him get smashed as they did Brady and buys him some time

As Pats fans lets all get behind him at any rate - who knows he could be the real deal given a run of games
  23. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Do you realize how much of an arse you sound like? Clearly not.

1) The Patriots had the ball only 5 times in the second half.
    2) One of those 5 times, Cassel took a knee to end the game
    3) On the 1st and 4th possession, the Patriots scored.
    4) The other two possessions were 3 and outs.
    5) The 2nd series was ended when Sammy Morris didn't pick up the blitz properly and missed the late defender who came in on a stunt.
    6) The 3rd series was ended when the Patriots, on 2 straight running plays, couldn't pick up 2 yards. In fact, they telegraphed the plays so badly that the chiefs had 9 in the box the 1st time and 9 in the box the second time.
    7) The only other play of the 2nd series that Matt Cassel had a direct hand in was the pass to Gaffney, which Gaffney dropped.

So, what more could Matt Cassel have done yesterday?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  24. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He won. Folks are pissed they they are wrong, They said that if Brady went down Cassel couldn't win us a game. They said Cassel should have been cut.

And they were wrong. And instead of admitting they were wrong they just cling to their hate.

I say to them GFY. And you know that is what Wes was thinking when he said, "I think he did pretty well for a guy y'all thought should have gotten cut."

Matt Cassel is my QB.
  25. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Seconded. He may have stunk up the joint in pre-season and previous mop-up duty, but when they needed him for real, he did the job pretty well. I'm much less anti-Cassel now than I was when I woke up yesterday morning, and it proves, once again, that Belichick and staff know more about this team than everyone on this forum combined.
  26. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Gone to med school and healed Brady's knee. That is the only thing he could have done to satisfy some around here.
  27. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    While I agree, about 25% of this forum voted in a Poll here that Gutz would be CUT and Cassel kept as the #2. Some folks aren't distracted by pre-season histrionics at QB like Gutz and O'C (whom I like) exhibited on the field.
  28. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Are you stupid? If not for a running into the kicker, we would have punted away when Brady was still in the game... Wait, yes you are stupid.
  29. PatsCanDoIt

PatsCanDoIt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If Matt Cassell goes down...gets injured. Then yeah definately bring in Kevin O'Connell. Or if/when this team is eliminated from playoff contention bring him in then too. Until that happens STFU.
  30. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No ****. People need to realize Cassel did everything he needed to do in the Doomsday Scenario to win the game for NE. A 98-*******-yard TD drive his first full possession and yet people on here still want to kick him to the curb.

Cassel will be fine. He will play at an average to above-average level this season. Yes, he'll have some below-average games. But it's not like we are talking about Marc Wilson here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.