PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin O'Connell would bring much more excitement to the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are already starting, why not Kevin O'Connell? Neither of these guys have NFL experience, but that's what this game is about is getting opportunities and learning.

Matt Cassell is what he is, we know what we'll more than likely get out of him now that he's in his 4th year. I mean he comes in to the Miami game last year and throws one into Jason Taylor's numbers for a pick-6. Yesterday, he should have had atleast one of not two picked off against a really weak defense. Matt Cassell is what he is, let's face it.

Personally, I would rather see Kevin O'Connell, it would be great to watch Kevin grow and learn and yes make mistakes, but really speed up his development, I think he showed alot of promise in the preseason. He's big and mobile and has a big arm, I would love to see him get his chance instead of Cassell.

Cassell on the road is a scary thought. I think things might get ugly for him this Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you and Briz the same person?

this isn't a witty response, it's a serious question.

In BB I trust. When the kid is ready, BB will trot him out there. When he does, I'll know it's right call.:D

if i wanted excitement i'd spend my sunday's at the track or at foxwoods. I want wins. don't care how they happen! Just get em! O'Connell doesn't do that. Cassell gives you a better chance.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are already starting, why not Kevin O'Connell? Neither of these guys have NFL experience, but that's what this game is about is getting opportunities and learning.

Matt Cassell is what he is, we know what we'll more than likely get out of him now that he's in his 4th year. I mean he comes in to the Miami game last year and throws one into Jason Taylor's numbers for a pick-6. Yesterday, he should have had atleast one of not two picked off against a really weak defense. Matt Cassell is what he is, let's face it.

Personally, I would rather see Kevin O'Connell, it would be great to watch Kevin grow and learn and yes make mistakes, but really speed up his development, I think he showed alot of promise in the preseason. He's big and mobile and has a big arm, I would love to see him get his chance instead of Cassell.

Cassell on the road is a scary thought. I think things might get ugly for him this Sunday.

Brady on the road in 2001 was scary also.

Since you clearly are an O'Connell fan and think that he's the next big thing and you seem to imply that Cassel was the reason the Patriots almost lost yesterday please answer the following:

1) Was Matt Cassel on the field when either of Randy Moss, Wes Welker or Matt Slater committed their fumbles yesterday?

2) Was Matt Cassel on the field at the end of the game when the secondary broke down and allowed the long completion to Devard Darling?

3) Was Matt Cassel the one responsible for the 2 conscutive 3 and outs in the 4th quarter? You know where the 1st series ended when Morris missed a blitz pick-up on a stunt and the 2nd series where they tried to run the ball 3 straight times only to get stuffed on the 3rd one.

4) Was Matt Cassel the one responsible for the Patriots offense only getting the ball ONCE in the 3rd quarter and allowing the Chiefs to have the ball for roughly 8 minutes and 35 seconds.

I'd love to hear your answers and your explanations.

I want O'Connell too

if he thinks he's ready, send him out

Cassell is a waste of everyone's time

DaBruinz, this was the Kansas City Chiefs, arguably the worst football team to take the field this season. Look, Matt had a decent game yesterday, but let's keep it all in perspective, we still only scored 17 points against a horrible defense.

Did he play decently yesterday, sure he did. Let's keep it in perspective though, he was on his home field against a bad defense and still almost threw two picks. BB brings him into the Miami game last year and on his first freakin play he drops back and throws a frozen rope into Jason Taylor's numbers for 6 points. You can't do those things in year 3.

Was I happy with the conservative 3 and out (3 runs) at mid field, no ! Like I said, Josh McDaniels has to lose that stupid Heath Evans full back dive, it's the worst play in football and NEVER, EVER gains anything and it was a horrible call.

I think you are going to be singing a different tune on Matt Cassell after he plays the Jets in the Meadowlands, we'll talk next Monday, how does that sound?

I would rather see O'Connell at this point DaBruinz, that's my opinion.

If BB thinks Cassel is the Pats best chance to win, then I think Cassel is the Pats best chance to win.

I want O'Connell too

if he thinks he's ready, send him out

Cassell is a waste of everyone's time

This coming from the self- proclaimed Madden champ who thinks that, because he is so good at Madden, he knows how to build a true NFL football franchise?

Here are a few facts that you seem to over-look about the Madden football game.

1) All the numbers they use for players are arbitrary.
2) Madden, in no way, accounts for player's attitudes or intelligence.
3) Madden, in no way, accounts for the coaches abilities to diagnose a game and make changes to the game plan on the fly.

What is a waste of everyone's time is trolls who come in here pretending to be Pats fans.

What did Matt Cassel do to piss people off so much? Yesterday was the most we've ever seen of him, and he played quite well.

It's not too late this season for you to jump ship and officially embrace the Jets as your team.
Think about it. You'll be happier because that short sighted reactionary, Bill Belichick, ain't gonna go with O'C next week.

DaBruinz, you seem to think Cassell is a legitimate NFL quarterback for a team which should make the super bowl with the talent they have

No one should ever listen to you again

BB brings him into the Miami game last year and on his first freakin play he drops back and throws a frozen rope into Jason Taylor's numbers for 6 points. You can't do those things in year 3.

Yet again, someone paid the $$$ for first-row tickets at Small Sample Size Theatre. How about the drive in the Colts game yesterday where Manning started at his own 12 and ended up giving up a safety on two plays? He's been in the league for 10 years--he certainly shouldn't be doing that! :rolleyes:

What did Matt Cassel do to piss people off so much? Yesterday was the most we've ever seen of him, and he played quite well.

They won on a goalline stand against the Chiefs at home

Need I reel off the many ways in which the Patriots have won games in the Brady-BB era? There's no wrong way to win a ball game.

Cassel had a huge 98 yard drive, had a key drive in the 2nd half, and led them to that extremely important field goal in the 4th.

He did literally everything that was asked of him. And then some. He's not going to be Tom Brady.

DaBruinz, this was the Kansas City Chiefs, arguably the worst football team to take the field this season. Look, Matt had a decent game yesterday, but let's keep it all in perspective, we still only scored 17 points against a horrible defense.

Let me know when you actually put things in perspective. I've done so. No where have I touted Matt Cassel as the next coming. I've said Matt did everything he needed to NOT lose the game. That is what is expected of a back-up QB.

I always find it amazing when I put up questions about a game and people ignore them go off on tangents like they know more about what happened than anyone else.

Did he play decently yesterday, sure he did. Let's keep it in perspective though, he was on his home field against a bad defense and still almost threw two picks. BB brings him into the Miami game last year and on his first freakin play he drops back and throws a frozen rope into Jason Taylor's numbers for 6 points. You can't do those things in year 3.

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and Nuclear bombs. Let me know when you understand that. You clearly don't.

BTW, I suggest you go and review Brady's year 3. He had some doozy interceptions thrown. Did you ever stop and think that maybe its your own expectations that are out of whack? Nope. Clearly you haven't.

Was I happy with the conservative 3 and out (3 runs) at mid field, no ! Like I said, Josh McDaniels has to lose that stupid Heath Evans full back dive, it's the worst play in football and NEVER, EVER gains anything and it was a horrible call.

I think you are going to be singing a different tune on Matt Cassell after he plays the Jets in the Meadowlands, we'll talk next Monday, how does that sound?

I would rather see O'Connell at this point DaBruinz, that's my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion, however flawed it may be. But just remember that I am just as entitled to MY opinion and entitled to voice my opinion on your opinion.

I'll be here next Monday after watching Cassel make his 1st ever NFL start. Unlike most people, I'll keep it in that perpsective. I can guarantee that the people who are yelling for O'Connell right now won't do that.

Last edited:

And just how was it Cassel's fault that the Patriots had to make a goalline stand? Does Cassel play on the defense now?

I noticed that you haven't bothered to answer the questions asked. Is that because they would require some thought on your part?

"I'll be here next Monday after watching Cassel make his 1st ever NFL start. Unlike most people, I'll keep it in that perpsective. I can guarantee that the people who are yelling for O'Connell right now won't do that."

I am fully expecting Cassell to literally piss his pants in NY this Sunday, I am banking on it. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do and I'm no bandwagon fan. I sat on those cold bleacher benches (seasons tickets) through the late 80's and ugly early 90's, so I'll be watching this Sunday, pulling for Matt. I just don't have the same confidence in him as you do.

I am excited about Kevin O'Connell, aren't you? Didn't you like what he showed in the preseason? Let's turn the tables are you just down on O'Connell because he's a rookie? So isn't Flacco and the Ravens have made a team decision to start his development (yes because of injuries, just like our situation) and I think before this is all said and done, we may be seeing K.Okie in there alot earlier than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots