PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin O'Connell keeps himself prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a nice column on the Pats backup QB

O'Connell Keeps Himself Prepared by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

Rich Garven said:
“You know what, you have to take that mind-set,” the affable O’Connell said following a recent OTA workout at Gillette Stadium. “I want to work as hard as I possibly can and when fall comes around just continue to do what I’ve been doing now and all offseason — to work hard and feel comfortable in whatever role I’m in.”

At 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds O’Connell has the look of an NFL quarterback. He’s also an excellent athlete with Roethlisberger-like mobility.

So the tools are there, and the Patriots have spent the last year tightening up O’Connell’s footwork and delivery. Progress is being made even if it hasn’t been on public display.

“I feel like mechanically I’ve gotten better with a lot of the little things,” O’Connell said. “I still have a lot of work to do. It’s like anything, if you want to be good at it you have work at it.

“It’s something that’s hard to perfect, but through video and whatever else you just study it and study it. Eventually you start to feel you’re getting some results out of it.”

Good article. Obviously, I hope to only see O'Connell on the field during "mop up" duty, but it's important that he prepares himself as if he were the starter.

I wouldn't mind if mop-up duty started in the third quarter (see: Arizona "game"). :)

Last edited:
Mop up and, later, wherever they're willing to part with a high draft pick... If he's starting, I hope it's in a few years in another stadium (or the pre-season).

I'm confident he'll pan out to be a solid player. But if Brady can stay healthy, O'C will be ready for a gig before Brady's ready to retire.

Maybe that photo was taken from an odd angle, but if he doesn't get that ball closer to his ear, I can see a lot of strip sacks in his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes