PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Jones to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just got an alert from ESPN.com that Kevin Jones has been told he will be released. Surprised? Any thoughts on where he may catch on?

Edit. Link from NFL.com

Last edited:
I just got an alert from ESPN.com that Kevin Jones has been told he will be released. Surprised? Any thoughts on where he may catch on?

surprising since detroit didnt land julius jones and only has tatum bell and brian calhoun as backs now. they'll probably be going after mendenhall in the draft.

According to the link, Kalimba Edwards is also being released. Could he fit in at OLB in the Pats' scheme? He is 6-6, 265...

Sweet. The Pats can sign Jones to back up Alexander!

According to the link, Kalimba Edwards is also being released. Could he fit in at OLB in the Pats' scheme? He is 6-6, 265...

dang, them are sweet numbers... but I know next to nothing about this guy. I don't watch that team very often :D

dang, them are sweet numbers... but I know next to nothing about this guy. I don't watch that team very often :D

he's a kid from s.carolina, i think, who got hurt in his first year. he was a speed rusher coming out and the pats did have him on their radar. i don't know his injury situation now. maybe worth a look. i thought he might be a top 20 pick that dropped to the 2nd rd.

I was a huge KJ fan while he was at VT.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy, and will probably be looking for an opportunity to start, but he would be great for cheap.

I like Edwards in that draft,but like him less after what he shown in the NFL.

I like Edwards....he is a big dude who has been OK in detroit. He could be better in a better situation. His sack numbers were OK a little early in his career.

I don't think Edwards would fit our scheme at all.

as for the original post-kevin jones-i REALLY wanted steven jackson in that draft, but actually heard afterwards that we liked kevin jones better and if he had lasted to our ben watson pick might have taken him (even with corey)

KJ would work as a backup for the Pats... but didn't he ask to be cut exactly because he didn't want to be Bell's backup?

Great hands and 3rd down ability. Could be a Faulk replacement down the line.

KJ would work as a backup for the Pats... but didn't he ask to be cut exactly because he didn't want to be Bell's backup?

waht? when you have been and kevin jones....you dont ask bell to be your starter....

kevin jones would be able to be a starter for nearly every team in this league, too bad he comes free at a time when we wont need him...

Didn't Jones miss pretty much an entire year+ with a lisfranc injury? For a speed running back, I think I'd pass on anything other than around the vet minimum.

as for the original post-kevin jones-i REALLY wanted steven jackson in that draft, but actually heard afterwards that we liked kevin jones better and if he had lasted to our ben watson pick might have taken him (even with corey)

I heard the same thing too.

As for Mr. Jones, the chances of signing him are likely not good. He'll probably go to a team that can offer him more carries, and money, than we can. I'd love to have him here, though.

He's really built more in the Sammy Morris mold...

I'm not sure. He had 62 catches in 2006. Then again, Morris was considered a third down back once upon a time too. The problem is that Jones became very ordinary after his Lisfranc fracture - the perpetual danger of investing in a running back.

Kevin Jones has a crazy injury history. Good back. Bad luck. He's not coming to NE. He'd be a role player, and role players are special teams players. And like Alexander, Im sure he doesnt see himself playing special teams.

When we've brought guys like Dillon or Antwoin Smith in to be the lead back, then they didnt really need to serve a role on special teams. But Maroney is obviously the lead back on this team, and even he plays special teams once in a while. These other high profile, veteran backs dont fit here with this club. A young guy, 2 years behind Maroney who can play ST and back up and fill a role makes alot more sense.

Check out Reiss Pieces for an interesting article re: the 04 draft, Pats were prepared to take him.

At this point it would seem there isn't really a spot on the roster for him, though he had a great receiving year in 06, so eventual Kevin Faulk replacement might be one thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes