PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can sum up this debate quite simply - everyone who follows the Pats always holds their breath when the ball comes Faulk's way, period. Even his supporters either get a smidge of nervousness or they aren't fans who watch the game closely.

Sure Faulk makes plenty of good plays, and a fair number of 'big' ones. But a crushing fumble or a horrible missed catch turned into a game ending INT have ten times the impact of any single big play he makes. Without him we'd surely have had fewer first downs, but punting at least gives you a chance to pin down your opponent and put pressure on him. A turnover leaves you at the mercy of your opponent. I think Faulk is over-rated anyway, add in his habit of dropping the ball at the most inopportune moments and he's essentially worthless.

The poster who points out that Faulk led the team in receptions is misleading himself - we lost the game, positive stats have no meaning when the fact is if Faulk had caught that last pass from Brady we would have had a decent shot a tying, if not out right winning the game Sunday night. the loss isn't Faulk's fault per se, but all his other catches mean zero in light of what he didn't get done.

Last edited:
Seneschal2 said:
But from a coaching standpoint, during crunch time you want the players you can rely on most (those who know the offense).
Maybe, but IMO knowing the offense isn't enough. What you want are the players who are most likely to give you the best chance to win the game. I still have no idea why they rolled out Faulk and Evans with a first and goal on the yen. That is NOT our best goal line offense. I don't care how well Faulk knows the plays. He just isn't going to get it done on the goal line compared to Dillon and Maroney. Cripes, they ALWAYS put in Dillon or Maroney in on first and goal. One time they didn't and it didn't work. Why does everyone think this was a good idea. It sucked.

Seneschal2 said:
If we could somehow ask Brady who are the two most reliable receiving options he currently has available to him, I'm willing to bet he'd choose Troy and Faulk.
ha ha. Not quite. Brady always takes resposnibility for miscues, defends receivers and Oline even when they don't get the job done. After the game he only took responsibility for the first INT. Said he'd have to look at the tape for the tips. Ha ha. Probably made him sick looking at Faulk's two tips, both of which killed drives in waning seconds of half/game.

Seneschal2 said:
Watch the games and you'll see he's still a bit off in his route running, hence making Brady's job more difficult.
Unless you yourself know the routes, and the play called, and the adjustments based on the defensive alilgnment, you have no clue as to who is a bit off in his route running. Look at the play if you have it recorded. It wasn't Faulk's route that was at fault. The ball bounced OFF HIS HANDS!!!! TWICE IN ONE GAME. BOTH AT CRITICAL JUNCTURES! ADD 14 POINTS TO OUR SCORE AND SEE IF YOU LIKE IT BETTER.

Why is everyone trying to say Faulk played a good game? He sucked. I don't care if he was three-time superbowl MVP the last three years. This game he SUCKED! Why is that so hard to understand? Don't tell me his punt return average is 33 yards. That's very nice, but it doesn't change the fact that he was terrible on Sunday and if he hadn't dropped those passes (did I mentin they hit him in the hands?) we would have won the game. Sure we had other problems, but he holds those passes, which any fourth string receiver should have caught, and we win the game. If he had just caught one of them.

Wake up and watch the tape. He had a bad game!

You people need to chill out. Kevin Faulk isn't going anywhere.

This is some of what I've read here from Pats fans on Faulk:

"cannot be trusted"
"we don't need him"
"essentially worthless"

This is some of what I've read from Belichick on Faulk:

?Jarvis Green is the Kevin Faulk of the defense, in terms of his production on a per-play basis."

Shall we start bashing Jarvis now. :)

PaulNEPats said:
Consistent? Consistent at KILLING this team in big games, is more like it. I don't care how good he can be at times, this guy is too much of a gamble to put in there with the game on the line. Just like in Denver, he killed us.

You are right for the most part here Paul.....This guy is so incredibly talented and is capable of making some big time/awesome plays, and can come off the bench and provide a much needed spark,..........BUT....with that having been said......his NEGATIVES outweigh his positives for the most part.

His bobbling of two passes that SHOULD HAVE been caught, and led to turnovers relatively deep in Indy's territory.....KILLED us.....I would never go as far as to say he single handedly blew the game for us.....the entire team takes credit for this mess.......but Faulk has this horrible ability to give the ball up/create a turnover in almost every big game. It has gotten so bad for me when watching the games, that I cringe every time he gets the ball.......especially during kickoffs.....and when the weather sucks.....need to use him very sparingly in my honest opinion due to his potential for turnovers.......one man's opinion.....

pats1 said:
You'd want Dillon at RB on 3rd and long? You'd want Mills and Thomas at RB period?

(And how often to the Pats use a FB, especially on 3rd down?)

That leaves Maroney and Faulk. If Maroney is getting work on 1st and 2nd down as well as kick returns, Faulk is the remaining option. And he's been one of Brady's favorite and dependable bail-out guys for years and years now.

I'll take my chances with Maroney....all the time.....with dillon coming in to spell him on the short yard runs.......and use more play action on 3rd and long.....also need much more production out of our TE's ...besides watson....one man's opinion....

RhodyPatFan said:
Faulk scares me and he always will. When he's running with the ball I yell at the TV "hang onto it". I think the worst when he has the ball. He'll never change that.

With that said he does come up with big plays now and again. Great catch in week one against Buffalo where he causes matchup problems with teams. And Brady seems to trust him.

This game wasn't on Faulk. The offensive play calling was awful and the offensive execution was worse.

I am right there with you on this one.....that is too funny...and sad. How bad is it when every play you are yelling "Hold onto the f#$&*g rock Kevin".....or yelling "oh gawd....don't give it to him here....what are they doing!!???" every time the guy gets a touch.......I have NO confidence in him...and it has gotten progressively worse with each blunder.......I think it is time to take safer options.........one man's opinion...

Digger44 said:
I am not sure where this idea of LoMo taking Faulk's role comes from???
Who wants LoMo to take Faulk's role? LoMo is a Superstar in the making as a number one RB. Faulk has always been a 3rd down back and kick returner. Why do you want LoMo to become a 3rd down back? That would be a total waste of a first round draft pick. We are expecting LoMo to be another LT not Kevin Faulk.
amen.....wow....we agree!

pats1 said:
When in the world was this "turning point" when Faulk suddenly changed over from a "help" to a "hinderance?!?"

His 19 receptions are a hiderance?

His 13.4 yd. punt return average - 3rd in the league - is a hinderance?

His horrific turnovers at the worst times....during big games.....on a consistent basis has BECOME a hinderance to the Pats. Fumbling once in awhile (see Dillon who rarely drops the rock...and even the one he had on Sunday was very questionable on replay) is somewhat acceptable....But Faulk has done it so damned at pivotal points in a game....that it has worn thin....I think this is his last year here......one man's opinion

pats1 said:
When in the world was this "turning point" when Faulk suddenly changed over from a "help" to a "hinderance?!?"

His 19 receptions are a hiderance?

His 13.4 yd. punt return average - 3rd in the league - is a hinderance?

His horrific turnovers at the worst times....during big games.....on a consistent basis has BECOME a hinderance to the Pats. Fumbling once in awhile (see Dillon who rarely drops the rock...and even the one he had on Sunday was very questionable on replay) is somewhat acceptable....But Faulk has done it so damned often at pivotal points in a game....that it has worn thin....I think this is his last year here......one man's opinion

Murphys95 said:
Yes, Faulk fumbles the ball at times - If you don?t like him, you don?t like him, that?s cool, but I think his positives outweigh his negatives.

That's the crux of the matter all right. Faulk definitely does good things, but having him play for you is like telling a starving man, "Here, have this roast turkey. Eat all you want, but while you're eating, every 10 minutes we're going to cut off one of your fingers."

stcjones said:
His horrific turnovers at the worst times....during big games.....on a consistent basis has BECOME a hinderance to the Pats. Fumbling once in awhile (see Dillon who rarely drops the rock...and even the one he had on Sunday was very questionable on replay) is somewhat acceptable....But Faulk has done it so damned at pivotal points in a game....that it has worn thin....I think this is his last year here......one man's opinion

Be SPECIFIC!!!

I swear to God some people here make it out like Faulk fumbles or drops a pass every game, and that he has made game-changing mistakes in all of the Pats' 13 losses in the past 4 seasons.

Utterly untrue.

In fact, to say that Faulk's negatives NOW outweigh his positives, and that he has BECOME a hinderance to the Pats is also untrue.

If you look at it in terms of fumbles, Faulk had 12 in his first 4 years. He's had 10 in his last 4 years.

If you look at it in terms of punt returns, nearly all of Faulk's production has come in the past 4 years, and he's having his best year in 2006 in that category.

He was injured for ~8 games in 2004 and 2005 too, so let's not let that go unforgotten, either.

Last edited:
Some people make clutch plays during crunch time...some players make big mistakes.

Kevin Faulk meet Drew Bledsoe....great overall production...lack of clutchness.

pats1 said:
Be SPECIFIC!!!

I swear to God some people here make it out like Faulk fumbles or drops a pass every game, and that he has made game-changing mistakes in all of the Pats' 13 losses in the past 4 seasons.

Utterly untrue.

In fact, to say that Faulk's negatives NOW outweigh his positives, and that he has BECOME a hinderance to the Pats is also untrue.

If you look at it in terms of fumbles, Faulk had 12 in his first 4 years. He's had 10 in his last 4 years.

If you look at it in terms of punt returns, nearly all of Faulk's production has come in the past 4 years, and he's having his best year in 2006 in that category.

He was injured for ~8 games in 2004 and 2005 too, so let's not let that go unforgotten, either.

Excellent post. Earlier in this thread I listed 5 positive plays in Faulk's career (and they were recent). Apparently some posters prefer to have a scapegoat for a difficult loss than to actually argue specifics.

I back your post - if Faulk's negatives outweigh his positives - put your money where your mouth is and name them already!

Not sure if its been mentioned, but would love for the Pats to replace him with Mewelde Moore once he hits FA.

I know BB raved about MM before the draft. For some reason, MM was in Tice's doghouse, though I'm not sure how he is looked upon by Childress' regime.

He is signed until 2007, but should be an RFA possibly after this season. Can't imagine Vikings will tender him much, prob. lowest which was round he was drafted (4th).

Think this guy would be a great addition to return game as well as 3rd down change-of-pace.

Captain Cliche said:
Some people make clutch plays during crunch time...some players make big mistakes.

Kevin Faulk meet Drew Bledsoe....great overall production...lack of clutchness.

Did I miss the game when this stereotype emerged?

It's asinine.

The guys just not cluctch and thats an issue. We dont need help with the team we have over the Jets or Texans etc, we need help against Denv and Indy in the big games. As evidenced by his turnovers he craps his drawers in the big games.

Im sorry but that list for accomplishments wasnt anything special.

Murphys95 said:
I disagree. Faulk has had many meaningful plays this season. In week one, on a 3rd & 9 on Buffalo's 17 yard line Faulk hauled in an amazing touchdown catch from Brady. That brought the Pats back in the game 17-14, late in the 3rd quarter.

Versus Cincinnati, Faulk returned a punt 43 yards into Bengals territory to set up their second scoring drive and put the Pats ahead 14-6. Earlier in the game on the Pats first scoring drive the ball was directly snapped to Faulk, handed off to Jackson, who ran for a 1st down - that was a 3rd down play...and Faulk was a key component in that play.

Kevin Faulk is also the 3rd ranked punt returner in the NFL with a 13.4 yard average.

Faulk is a good player. Anyone who thinks he's not is smoking the same **** that got Deval Patrick elected. The problem with Faulk is that he is risky. Is Maroney any less risky? Too early to tell, but probably not.

There is definitely a role on this team for Faulk. At a minimum it is returning some punts situationally and providing RB depth. I'd like to see more of Maroney on third down, but he needs to establish he can catch the ball out of the backfield before BB makes that happen.

BelichickFan said:
I've had enough of Faulk. Sad to say but his negatives just outweigh his positives. And you know he still has one more big fumble yet to come this season. In the offseason I'd try to trade him for a 6th round pick in 2007 or a 5th round pick in 2008. His contract is at the point where trading him wouldn't be a big salary cap issue.

WHERE were all you bashers of faulk when i said last year that the team was better off without him when he got hurt

and i got absolutely BLASTED!!!

patsfan55 said:
WHERE were all you bashers of faulk when i said last year that the team was better off without him when he got hurt

and i got absolutely BLASTED!!!
He heh. I remember that. You were definately ahead of the power curve, though it isn't so much Faulk bashing as saying, "Enough is enough."

Most of us were willing to give Faulk more chances because of what he'd done for us. It's plain to see now that putting guys on the field because of what they did in the past is not an especially good idea. (Some may disagree and tell us ad nauseum how good Faulk USED TO BE.

I no longer care how good he used to be. Disliked his play in hte playoffs last year, hate it now. The people who are hanging on now will see the light. Right now they are just playing the Lawyer-Milloy-is-the-heart-and-soul-of-the-defense=and=we-need-him because-of what-he-did-for-us game we all played back in 2003.

Most of us played it again with Ted Washington.

And some more with Adam Vinatieri.

And a couple doing it with Faulk.

Fact is not only do we not need him, we are better off without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes