PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk, Your 2006 "Dan Klecko" Award winner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
rookBoston said:
I dont understand the debate. Keep them all.

Dillon - Moroney - Faulk - Pass - Mills

They each have their own roles to play. Pass and Mills have roles to play on ST coverage and Faulk in the return game. Dillon and Moroney will get the bulk of the carries, but all five will get their share.
Sounds all fine and dandy, but we can only keep 53 guys. In your opinion, who will be the surprise cut this year, Tebucky? Don Davis? Hawkins? Poteat? Who?

Last edited:
Like I just said in another thread, money is a pretty good reason why Faulk might not be as secure as many think. He's not cheap. But I'm not great at salary cap stuff and don't know if cutting him would be worth it.

He is what he is. He's a great third down back, but he's very replacable, and anyone with good hands and speeds can be plugged into the Pats system and rack up yardage on screen passes and dump offs (like I also said in another thread, wouldn't you rather have these passes be going to Ben Watson? I sure as hell would). Add in the fact we just drafted Maroney...

I mean, come on, Pats fans were ready to tade Seymour to avoid giving him a big contract, were OK with Willie not being resigned, rightfully justified not resigning Vinateiri, etc., etc., yet Faulk is treated like some kind of untouchable piece to the Pats puzzle? Give me a freaking break. If I'm reading Miguel's page right, he's going to earn more than Vrabel, Branch, Bruschi or Light next year. Likewise, the page tells me Faulk would have a $600,000 cap hit if cut. So for 1.5 mill more in a season in which you have cap room, yeah, you might as well keep him. But I don't think he's a lock and he is mildly overrated.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
Sounds all fine and dandy, but we can only keep 53 guys. In your opinion, who will be the surprise cut this year, Tebucky? Don Davis? Hawkins? Poteat? Who?

Posted this before, but it's always fun to share

QB(3) Brady, Cassel, UFA/Bramlett
RB(5) Dillon, Moroney, Faulk, Pass, Mills
WR(5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress
TE(3) Graham, Watson, Thomas
OT(4) Light, Kaczur, Gorin, O'Callahan
OG(3) Neal, Mankins, Stevenson
OC(2) Koppen, Hochstein

NT(2) Wilfork, Smith
DE(4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Hill
OLB(4) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey
ILB(4) Bruschi, Beisel, Claridge, Izzo
CB(5) Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Scott, Andrews
S(6) Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Mitchell

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

My major cuts are: Bethel, Warfield, Davis, Alexander, Klecko, Wright, Poteat, G Scott, Mruc, Britt. Honestly, none of them are heartbreakers for me. I'd love for Klecko and Wright to make good, but it's okay for me if we have to go without them.

There is roster space for Roach or Woods, if either one can earn a ST spot ahead of Mel Mitchell or Willie Andrews.

To me, Mills is a roster replacement for Matt Chatham. They play different nominal positions, but both are projected as top-flight STers, first and foremost, who can contribute as role players beyond that. But really, how often did Chatham actually play LB for us? And Mel Mitchell is our Don Davis replacement.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
Like I just said in another thread, money is a pretty good reason why Faulk might not be as secure as many think. He's not cheap. But I'm not great at salary cap stuff and don't know if cutting him would be worth it.

* I don't think cap space is a problem this year. There's enough there for rookie's, Branch and others who's deal runs out after this year and Faulk. The best thing is there's pretty good competition for the RB spots. How they'll do that with TE spots and WR spots will be interesting, to say the least. I don't have any personal favorites and just want the best guys, whoever that is. I'm not totally a "In BB we trust" kinda guy, but when to comes to who makes the final 53 man roster, I'll go with who he takes.

BradyManny2344 said:
Likewise, the page tells me Faulk would have a $600,000 cap hit if cut.
I think you read the page wrong.As I read it, he is owed $1,988,000 in remaining signing bonus. He gets that money if he stays or is cut.

From a Reiss mailbag...

Do you think the Pats might go after a smaller very quick running back, to have a change of pace in the backfield, like 10-15 touches a game. I really like having one that changes the flow of the game.
Bob Sulik, Shenzhen, China

A: Seems like the Patriots have their player for that role in Kevin Faulk, who is coming off a solid effort in the AFC wild-card round playoff game against the Jaguars. Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Faulk is one of the Patriots' most productive players on a per-play basis.

I have read/heard BB say this multiple times. "Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Faulk is one of the Patriots' most productive players on a per-play basis." I don't know what some of you are smoking. Kevin Faulk is a LOCK, fumble(s) and all. He is going NOWHERE.

Remix 6 said:
1. Maroney has showed very well hands in camp..hes faster than Faulk and younger
2. Pass can catch out of backfield..hes a better runner and fumbles less. He can also return kicks
3. Pass can play fullback aswell.
4. Since Maroney has shown good hands..hes more of a threat than to just catch ball on 3rd downs..we can actually hand him off the ball and be satisifed. He hasnt fumbled al ot..hes faster than Faulk..we cant say hes as reliable as a catcher yet but can.
1----Just because one has good hands in camp, is fast and younger does not mean he is even CLOSE to filling in for Faulk as a 3rd down back YET replace him. I think he MAY be able to fill in if injured...but he's a long way from that now. Having good hands is only one thing needed to make a good 3rd down receiver...he hasn't had mnuch experience in the receiving game. Speed may be one thing, but there are other things needed than speed. 2----Pass can catch out of the backfield, but he is less elusive and less of a receiver than Faulk. A better runner?/ I don't think so. Fumbles less?? Haven't looked at the stats. Faulk also can return kicks and is better than Pass in that over the years. 3----Pass can play fullback ..that is true and his why he is versatile..but if they keep Mills, I am not sure that matters.
4----If he doesn't understand routes and the passing game, he can hardly be a threat to catch the ball on 3rd downs, yet be a threat once he does. I like Maroney a lot and I know he will find playing time, but I don't think it wollows that he takes over Faulks role. He's more a backup to Dillon and a replacement for him than Faulk..although I could see him possibly filling in a bit iif needed. He's a better backup to Dillon than Faulk. Faulk is getting older and a real back up needed, but Maroney is not the answer.

rookBoston said:
Posted this before, but it's always fun to share
Superb list. The only change I would make is whacking Paxton and keeping Britt. Too much potential there. And if we can make it thtough the SB with Brian Kinchen snapping, I think Thomas can be good enough come Game One. I realize I'm waging a losing batter in terms of what Belichick is likely to do though.

I'd kind of like to keep Roach too - he's probably 50-50 to make it through waivers to the PS.

Looking again, Pass is another I might whack. His pass catching out of the backfield should be replaced by Mills. I actually like Pass some as a runner but he's not a huge blocker and with Dillon, Maroney and Faulk there's a good chance we won't need his running. There will be some tough choices, obviously.

Remix 6 said:
okay he fumbled because he said pain was unbearble..how did he do when Dillon and Faulk were out? 4.5 ypc avg..he did better when he started than Faulk has. I watch every game..i dont hate Faulk but Maroney has good hands..hes faster and younger. Hes going to be our 3rd down back.

Sure he runs well on 3rd down and catches well but how has he produced when he has started? thats if any of our players down. im saying i would want Pass instead of Faulk because if Maroney and Dillon go down..Pass would fill in better as starter for few games than Faulk would.

God help us if you are right... I'll just SHOOT myself in the head and get it over with...

Maroney is going to be our 3rd down back? UGHHH! Don't tell me we drafted a RB in round 1 to be a third down back when we have a guy (Faulk) on the roster that excels at that role and is playing for relatively cheap.

I heard Maroney was more of a pure rusher and not much of a receiver, so I guess we have conflicting info.

Pass can't play FB for damn, that is why we are pulling in DTs, LBs, Olineman, the waterboy, and probably Dan Klecko's father next to play FB when we absolutely need to run the ball and get a couple yards. Mills and Thomas seem to be of the mold that would replace what Pass does for us... I don't see anyone who can ideally fit Faulk's role.... Maroney would have to learn blitz pickups awefully quick... they don't usually throw rookies in there on 3rd down to pickup blitzes and when they do it is usually not pretty.

As for Pass running better than Faulk... I'm not seeing it. Faulk has made so many clutch plays over the years, it is hard to remember them all. The Pass "Sniper" incident... now that is hilarious. I don't care what is pansy excuse was... he was UNTOUCHED and dropped the GD ball! Ridiculous!

Last edited:
Lonnie Paxton is the best long-snapper in football. Given our new placekicker situation it would be absolutely RIDICULOUS to let him go. Thomas and Mills have never long-snapped in a COLLEGE game before - or if one of them has, it's been for literally 1 or 2 games. It's asinine to suggest that these guys should come in to save a roster spot when they haven't really done it before.

I don't know why people would think Paxton would get cut just b/c Mills/Thomas practiced long snapping. I hear Matt Cassell has been playing some QB, I don't think anyones going to suggest Brady's getting cut...there are such things as backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes