PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk, Your 2006 "Dan Klecko" Award winner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
as player who is definitely a LOCK to make the roster despite a growing legion of Pats fans who suggest he "could" be cut.

First of all, I have been a staunch defender of Klecko as a LOCK in the past and - his performance aside - I was right, as were others. There was never a chance that the Pats brass were going to give up on him - until now. Now, IMO, he has very little chance of making this team.

Secondly, some may say, "Who's saying Faulk will be cut?" to which I reply, "Not as many as said Klecko would, but there's a growing legion around here."

Thirdly, the people questioning #33's viability on the 53-man roster point to two things, Faulk's fumble in the Mile High debacle and his general "history" of fumble-itis. Fine, let's talk about those:

A) Faulk fumbled. It sucked. I was bummed. Troy Brown muffed a punt - if he gets cut, it won't be because of that. Didn't Hobbs fumble a kickoff, too? Is he going anywhere? Bill Belichick hates TO's, but the man is ruthlessly unemotional when it comes to football. Kevin is NOT getting cut because of one play in a big spot because he has simply made too many OTHER plays in big spots to justify such a ridiculously impulsive decision.

B) Kevin Faulk USED to suffer from fumble-itis. He hasn't had his trouble for YEARS. This is no longer a chronic problem. Ball-security is a strength for Faulk at this point.

One more item - before anyone says it - I am in no way saying that Kevin Faulk and Dan Klecko are comparable players. Klecko has been nothing more than a project/situational player for the Pats. Kevin Faulk is one of the most productive players on the team (Belichick's words, not mine). Where the comparison comes in to play are the creeping posts about Kevin being in a battle for a roster spot when - for most assuredly DIFFERENT reasons from those surrounding Klecko in the past - he has NO CHANCE of being cut.

So, those of you saying that Faulk is in competition with Patrick freakin' Pass for a roster spot, please for the love of God take a breath. Kevin Faulk has as much chance as BRADY of getting cut. He is considered a weapon on this offense, even with the influx of youth on that side of the ball. He may see less p-time, but if healthy he'll be active for 16 regular season games this year. Bank on it.

Last edited:
Faulk has had many big plays for this team. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

drewdagreat said:
Faulk has had many big plays for this team. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

Boy, I don't know how anyone can suggest Faulk's going to be cut. Who's going to take his role? Maroney has very little experience in the passing game. Faulk is a very good blitz blocker, and his on-field experience and production isn't going to be replaced.

The ONLY way he's not on the team is if Maroney's an absolute stud right off the bat, and Belichick trades Faulk for a player/high draft pick.

How can you cut the best 3rd down back in the game?

im 1 that think hes no where near safe

1. Maroney has showed very well hands in camp..hes faster than Faulk and younger

2. Pass can catch out of backfield..hes a better runner and fumbles less. He can also return kicks

3. Pass can play fullback aswell.

4. Since Maroney has shown good hands..hes more of a threat than to just catch ball on 3rd downs..we can actually hand him off the ball and be satisifed. He hasnt fumbled al ot..hes faster than Faulk..we cant say hes as reliable as a catcher yet but can.

I would take
Dillon - starter for another year
Maroney - change of pace, breather, 3rd down, KR possibly
Pass - plays both RB spots, can return kicks, hes faster than the average fullback, he showed effectiveness running last year before the hamstring incident
Mills - FB/H Back/ good receiver in college

I say try to trade Faulk. If Maroney was starter then I would say sure keep him but for now..Dillon + Maroney show.

Last edited:
If you replaced "Kevin Faulk" with "Patrick Pass," you might have something. The double whammy of Maroney + Mills has led many here to wish Patrick greener pastures....though he still has a solid chance to make the team.

But Faulk? Have they brought in anyone to compete for the change-of-pace, RB/receiver role? This looks like a straw man to me.

patsox23 said:
B) Kevin Faulk USED to suffer from fumble-itis. He hasn't had his trouble for YEARS. This is no longer a chronic problem. Ball-security is a strength for Faulk at this point.
Bull. He had 4 fumbles in 99 touches. That is horrendous. He had been btter before last year but don't tell me that a guy with a 4% fumble rate last year is good at ball security.

patsox23 said:
as player who is definitely a LOCK to make the roster despite a growing legion of Pats fans who suggest he "could" be cut.
Who is saying Faulk could be cut, anyway ? I've ripped on his fumbles as much as anyone but I'm not talking about him being cut.

BelichickFan said:
Who is saying Faulk could be cut, anyway ? I've ripped on his fumbles as much as anyone but I'm not talking about him being cut.

There was a RB thread right after the draft that had many posters saying that Faulk was going to be cut.

The RB depth chart is pretty clear as of now. Dillon starts. Maroney is the #2. Faulk is the 3rd down RB. Mills is going to make it, call him a FB, a TE, and H-B. Pass is on the roster bubble and could go either way. He does play special teams and can fill in for all the RB spots so that will help him in the competition.

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
Pass can catch out of backfield..hes a better runner and fumbles less. He can also return kicks

Faulk can return kicks and punts.

Remix 6 said:
Since Maroney has shown good hands

When? In rookie camp with shorts on? He doesn't have much experience catching the ball in games and like almost every rookie RB has virtually no experience picking up blitzes. He would need to make amazing strides this summer to beat Faulk out for the 3rd down role.

dhamz said:
There was a RB thread right after the draft that had many posters saying that Faulk was going to be cut.

The RB depth chart is pretty clear as of now. Dillon starts. Maroney is the #2. Faulk is the 3rd down RB.
No way he'll be cut but his touches will be down. As they should be given 4 fumbles in 99 touches last year.

yes i know Faulk can return aswell but can he play FB? No. Can he run ball effectivley? No. Hes basically a receiver.

Remix 6 said:
yes i know Faulk can return aswell but can he play FB? No. Can he run ball effectivley? No. Hes basically a receiver.

You need to watch a PAtriots game sometime.

Remix 6 said:

Faulk isn't just a reciever. He is a 3rd down back. His job is to catch the ball out of the backfield, run the occasional draw, and most of all pick up blitzes. That is a defined role which is an aspect of the gameplan every single week.

If Pass can really play FB, why is it whenever they need a lead blocker he goes to the bench and a lineman (DL or OL) has to be brought in to play FB?

Pass will make it or not make it as a ST player. It is always good if those last few gameday spots that go to special teams guys are also guys who can fill in other places due to injuries. He should be nothing more than an emergency guy at any RB spot. If he is playing at any of them, someone is hurt or there is no one else.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
No way he'll be cut but his touches will be down. As they should be given 4 fumbles in 99 touches last year.

He also won't be cut because his contract was extended last year and his remaining dead cap hit for 2006 and 2007 would be almost $1.5M per.

Faulk is what he is. Limiting his touches can only help. His tendancy to fumble - often at the most inopertune time - makes him a piss poor replacement for a feature RB as BB was reminded in Denver (as was Pass -which is why Maroney is here today). That one play unraveled a team who was clawing their way back to a potential three-peat after barely surviving to make the playoffs by winning in a weak division. That they just weren't capable of getting past it was indicative of just how daunting the effort had been to that point - Brady nursing a sports hernia and exhaustion. Perhaps one or more of the other mistakes would still have happened, but the 14 point swing that ensued only in the wake of that fumble remains the gut punch that started all the dominos tumbling on an offense just too fragile and desperate at that point to regain their footing. And the one thing that infuriates BB more than not protecting the ball is not protecting it in the playoffs where the margin for error is far slimmer and in each game you are potentially one and done.

Remix 6 said:
2. Pass can catch out of backfield..hes a better runner and fumbles less. He can also return kicks

Pass is a better runner than Faulk? Did you forget when pass was shot in the leg by that sniper last year? I do not see how you can say Pass is a better runner. If he was he would have had the SP by now, and Faulk would not have been extended. Again, Faulk is the best 3rd down back in the game.

okay he fumbled because he said pain was unbearble..how did he do when Dillon and Faulk were out? 4.5 ypc avg..he did better when he started than Faulk has. I watch every game..i dont hate Faulk but Maroney has good hands..hes faster and younger. Hes going to be our 3rd down back.

Sure he runs well on 3rd down and catches well but how has he produced when he has started? thats if any of our players down. im saying i would want Pass instead of Faulk because if Maroney and Dillon go down..Pass would fill in better as starter for few games than Faulk would.

Last edited:
After watching pass drop that ball and go limp because of his hammy made me sick. I honestly would rather keep evans over him. Faulk makes the roster, hes a big play 3rd down back who has always been one of the most reliable players for this team.
No way he gets cut, no way. Actually with BB there is always a way, but I am just hoping he stays on the roster. One thing though. The fact that we are talking about a player as good as Faulk being traded or cut is great news for the team. I can't remember a time when the pats had such a deep and dynamic backfield. Imagine the smashmouth team we are going to have this yr. Studs at TE and OL and RB.....I am salivating at the mouth.
I just cant handle it anymore. The football season cant come too soon for me. :eat1:

Last edited by a moderator:
dhamz said:
Faulk can return kicks and punts.

Sure, but isn't Monty Biesel's supposed to replace him as a Punt Returner?

After all, as he said, he's a PR guy isn't he?

If not for the shortage at LB we'd be talking about Biesel as the Klecko Award winner

I dont understand the debate. Keep them all.

Dillon - Moroney - Faulk - Pass - Mills

They each have their own roles to play. Pass and Mills have roles to play on ST coverage and Faulk in the return game. Dillon and Moroney will get the bulk of the carries, but all five will get their share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back