PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk - Return or Retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batbl18

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Among this offseason's many questions include what to do with our running back position. We have Danny Woodhead, Stevan Ridley, and Shane Vereen coming back under contract. The Law Firm is a free agent, and joins him is Kevin Faulk (35 years old) as other backs from this years team. He is up there in age and appears to have to lost a step, didn't get to dress in the Super Bowl, so is it time for him to move on?

SMY did an emotional interview with Kevin. Interested to hear what you guys think he should do. I feel like he is leaning towards retirement and sees himself as having a very limited role on this team should he come back. I would like to see him come back in a small role to help out the young guys next year perhaps as an assistant?

Watch the interview here: Kevin Faulk Unsure of His Future in NFL, But Thankful to Have Made Mark on Patriots' Franchise - NESN Daily - NESN.com

Also if you're on Twitter you can follow him @feezy_k

Last edited:
Faulk may return AND retire. In any case, I do not see him on the 2012 Game One roster.

Agree with sign a 1 day and retire....a great Patriot whose time is over.

On a side note......he had severe fumbleitus for a while here and then got over it quickly and permanently. I'm hoping for the same for his replacement.....Ridley.

Thanks for the years Kevin.

It's time go for Faulk...his contributions would be next to nothing next year just as they were this year. That's ok though, because his contributions in the past are greatly appreciated.

I think he had fewer productive snaps than Ocho...that's not a good thing.

I love him as a player and what he's done for the Patriots and hope he has a place in the Patriots HoF, but this year seemed to be his gimme year. BB doesn't give too many of them out.

I think his on field days are over, but that said no problem if they want to bring him back with the understanding that barring catastrophe he doesn't make the 53 out of camp. He is one of the few guys on these well compensated present day rosters who has indicated he wants to remain in the game and perhaps do some coaching. Having him in the building in the off season can't hurt. He's got a little fire in him which at times is lacking on this staff, not to mention the been there done that cache of a former player. Not sure he wants to put in the hours a coaching assistant has to right out of the gate, but maybe it's time to try easing one of these guys into coaching.

Agree with sign a 1 day and retire....a great Patriot whose time is over.

On a side note......he had severe fumbleitus for a while here and then got over it quickly and permanently. I'm hoping for the same for his replacement.....Ridley.

Thanks for the years Kevin.

Maybe he can tutor Ridley and teach him just how he overcame the fumbles.

The Globe with a story on Faulk this morning.

Faulk contemplates if it’s time to retire from football - The Boston Globe

I can't see any way he comes back and plays for this team in 2012.

But as for this quote:

When asked how he’d like to be remembered by Patriots fans, Faulk said, “I want to be put in that same category as your Troy Browns, Tedy Bruschis, your Willie McGinests, Ty Laws - all of them. Those are the guys that when I came, those were the guys that everybody was looking up to.

Safe to say he has no reason to worry about that.

I hope Ridley and Vereen can get healthy, hold onto the ball, and fulfill the promise we've seen. Benny's a solid guy who never fumbles and I want him on the team but he shouldn't be the number one back. Woodhead has his spot but I don't want him as the number one third down back either. His average production has dropped off. I think teams have figured out how to defend him.

I think Kevin's time has come and gone but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they put him on the PUP and used him as a player\coach to continue the development of the younger guys. If everybody is healthy and performing he never comes off the PUP. In a dire emergency you have a guy who knows the system and can come in and return punts and give you 10 snaps a game on offense.

I hope Ridley and Vereen can get healthy, hold onto the ball, and fulfill the promise we've seen. Benny's a solid guy who never fumbles and I want him on the team but he shouldn't be the number one back. Woodhead has his spot but I don't want him as the number one third down back either. His average production has dropped off. I think teams have figured out how to defend him.

I think Kevin's time has come and gone but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they put him on the PUP and used him as a player\coach to continue the development of the younger guys. If everybody is healthy and performing he never comes off the PUP. In a dire emergency you have a guy who knows the system and can come in and return punts and give you 10 snaps a game on offense.

Concur. Faulk would be an excellent insurance player, there if the team gets into a serious bind, and available to help coach the other RB's in the stable.

He'll always have a place in Patriot's lore, and he's one of the few who I think could be a good coach if he wants it.

Been there done that - 2011 season. He's just done. That's why he was inactive or an active scratch most of the time once he came off PUP. Can come to camp and be a mentor but he's not making the roster this time out. He's too healthy for PUP, just done. His career is ending a lot like Troy's did. As opposed to Rodney and Tedy who got out ahead of it when they sensed that year coming. Can't drag it out indefinitely.

Last edited:
KF needs a little more time to come to grips with the fact that he needs to start the next chapter of his life.

I trust that he'll make the right decision.

I thought it was strange that the first game they used Kevin in 2011, they used him in quite a few plays....after that little to none.

I guess after trying him out to see what he had left,they saw that Kevin just didn't have it anymore and only kept him for depth and because it was probably hard to cut him.

I would be shocked if he returns next season.

Best case: Faulk retires, stays in shape, just incase the running backs on this team don't progress.
Faulk has been a non factor for a few years now.

If he decides he has the drive and desire he'd be welcome to compete for a roster spot in training camp. He knows better than anyone roster spots aren't given out of appreciation of past contributions.

Given the mileage on those tires my hope would be that Faulk decides to work out, stay in shape, but join the shadow roster if and when a younger more promising prospect beats him out in camp. He can serve as a great mentor in camp too.

But ultimately you can never have enough shadow roster insurance policies.

I say retire. It's been great but it's time to hang it up.

I can see Kevin making the effort and I can see the Pats giving him the opportunity but I don't think he can make it next year.

You folks probably noticed the same thing I did when Kevin did get in this year. He seems to have crossed that line where as a player he is now noticeably slower. On some plays it took an eternity for Kevin to get to the sideline when he was headed for it. It almost looked like he was running in cement compared to his pursuers.

He had a hell of a great run, but I think he will walk away.

Faulk reminded me so much of another offensive star here in NE,Troy Brown

Neither player will be remembered at all outside of Pats Nation but neither will be forgotten in NE as well

Both were great players who were not well known flashy stars,but in the end when you needed a critical play,they were almost always there to bail you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes