PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Curtis released by Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes had 2 bad years primarily due to injury, and last year the emergence of desean put him in the limelight

that the eagles traded away reggie brown, and still cut curtis is interesting...but prob simply due to money

i agree that 32 yr old wide outs are not ideal, and i might want TO over curtis...but i would not rule curtis out

hes a legit route runner, and it seems those are the types of guys that thrive in this system

One thing, he will have to grow his beard/

Is BB willing to spend 2.5MM a year (swag) on him for next 2-3 years? I say do it with Moss not expected to be back after this year. He does not run randy's routes but he could be a more of vertical threat than anybody else besides Moss.

No Cousin. A $4m due signing bonus is what it is.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I wanted him the year he signed with Philly (06? 07?), and I would still gladly take him now.

No Cousin. A $4m due signing bonus is what it is.
DW Toys

Only he didn't have one. He had a $1.1M roster bonus, but it wasn't due until June 1. He had a $3.4M salary, but that wasn't guaranteed unless he was on the roster in week 1. So, they cut him in March because of his age and increasing injury history and they aren't looking to sign him back for the same reasons. They actually found and developed some better WR's in the dr..dr..draft cousin!!

Any WR we add this season is only as valuable as his ability to get on the field and stay on the field and produce on the field in this system. And they are all going to be asked to pick up an entirely new system. Reed has at least been durable, productive under less than ideal QB circimstances, and he knows the division. Curtis doesn't even know the conference. And he was only as productive as his QB's in general. His best seasons were two in which McNabb and Bulger (in a Martz offense) were playing well above average. Reed's never had beyond a flash in the pan jag throwing him the ball.

So I'd take Reed for what we're looking for. A stopgap while we develop some young WR's of our own within this system.

Only he didn't have one. He had a $1.1M roster bonus, but it wasn't due until June 1. He had a $3.4M salary, but that wasn't guaranteed unless he was on the roster in week 1. So, they cut him in March because of his age and increasing injury history and they aren't looking to sign him back for the same reasons. They actually found and developed some better WR's in the dr..dr..draft cousin!!

Any WR we add this season is only as valuable as his ability to get on the field and stay on the field and produce on the field in this system. And they are all going to be asked to pick up an entirely new system. Reed has at least been durable, productive under less than ideal QB circimstances, and he knows the division. Curtis doesn't even know the conference. And he was only as productive as his QB's in general. His best seasons were two in which McNabb and Bulger (in a Martz offense) were playing well above average. Reed's never had beyond a flash in the pan jag throwing him the ball.

So I'd take Reed for what we're looking for. A stopgap while we develop some young WR's of our own within this system.

I agree Reed/Curtis is a stop gap. Cousin please look at the BB WR draft picks since 2000 and concur with me that it is a little disconcerting. He either does not judge them to be valuable in a Draft or we have some terrible Draft Scouts when it comes to WR:

Tate-Damaged goods (3rd rounder. I smell Bust)

Chad Jackson-Bust(2nd rounder!!!)

Bethel Johnson-Bust(2nd rounder!!!)

Deion Branch-2nd rounder that was a SB MVP and has vanished since with injuries etc. He owes his career to Brady.

David Givens-7th round find. Left for the big bucks and injured. Brady got him his big bucks.

P.K. Sam-Fifth rounder.Bust.

In 9 years we have only Drafted 6 WR. Half of them (50%) have been dr..dr..draft (thought that was funny) busts.

I think any FA Patriot WR has a warning label attached "Only use a Hot Tom Brady for best performance".

In 9 years our TE's have been a mixed bag too:

Ben Watson
David Thomas
Garrett Mills
Dan Graham
Spencer Nead
Andy Stokes
Jabari Holloway

Our best WR and most productive in the last 9 years have been through Trades and FA.

Moss
Welker
Gaffney

To some extent Caldwell who had some drops but yet 61 catches in 2006 and even Gabriel had 25 catches and three TDs in a partial 2006 year (what did he do to get to BB???) Stallworth started off well. Who knows what happened there.

As far as TE's I will always remember Wiggins in the 2001 Playoffs and Fauria I would say overall was as effective as Watson or Graham to some extent. You can say Vrabel played some TE as well but I know that is cheating.

Mo, will you give me those points?

As far as BB or his vaunted college receiver scouts picking. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say C- to D+.

FA and Trades=B+ TO A-

Cousin are you confident with our WR scouts that we can come up with a decent long term solution at WR?

I know you hate this idea but IF we can come to realistic terms with the kid, there is no other WR on the board that I would want or more importantly could make this Team significantly better instantly than Brandon Marshall. I know if Dez Bryant is there at #22 we must take him there is no question, but he has baggage as well.I like Gillyard but he has a past. Down the road, Benn or Syracuse WR Mike Williams could be the next Divas too. You never know. Tate is a slot guy. I don't want any USC WR until after round three. Demaryius Williams may be the safest bet but he is hurt.

Until the Pats decide if they can come up with a long term WR solution, I like a much faster (and a little taller) Curtis who also has the smarts to pick up this system which is most important (see Galloway). Can Reed pick up the system? Perhaps he could be smart as well but I don't know. Curtis can stretch the field. Reed can not. I think that is a major point. That is why the attempt on Galloway last year because of speed. I think it is telling that Reed was here two weeks ago and nada on any further discussions.

The trade off is injuries and is Curtis healed. He had 77 receptions in 2007 and has a career 13.1 YPC versus 11.5 for Reed and the most catches he had was back in 2003 at 58.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Give him a deal like Patten and tell him to prove it.

You are right $4km with salary.
DW Toys

I think he would be lucky to make it out of camp, after so many injuries I just don't know what he has left.

Last edited:
I would love to see the Pats sign this guy to a low veteran contract with incentives and see what he can do.

If Curtis is on the market he is worth a flyer. I've always liked his game and I think he would be a good fit with the Pat's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back