PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kerry Byrne: In 2009, The Pass D Will Hold The Key For Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kerry Byrne :In 2009, The Pass D Will Hold The Key For Patriots

Not exactly going out on a limb there, considering we had one of the worst 3rd down and red zone defenses in the league last year.

The stuff at the beginning about DPR was interesting, but his commentary on the Pats was some of the least insightful stuff I've ever read about the Pats.

Pass defense has a lot more to it than just the secondary. Pats pass rush was really bad last year for a stretch after AD went down. Also, Meriweather has improved with each season, as expected.

If that's the key for the Patriots then someone point the team to the lock because I think the problem has been solved over a year ago. A lot of the guys in the secondary and new, but they will get better as the season rolls on and Wilhite really looks like he is starting to come into his own. As for the pass rush, A.D. is back and I can see them begin to take the reigns off Mayo and Guyton a little this year for some inside pressure. How much of an impact Burgess will make in this defense still remains to be seen, though.

Pass defense has a lot more to it than just the secondary. Pats pass rush was really bad last year for a stretch after AD went down. Also, Meriweather has improved with each season, as expected.

What comes first the chicken or the egg??... the lack of confidence in the coverage did not allow a lot of creative blitzes... many times noticed Seymour shadowing TE's.. and some of our newer LB's sometimes seemed confused.

If that's the key for the Patriots then someone point the team to the lock because I think the problem has been solved over a year ago. A lot of the guys in the secondary and new, but they will get better as the season rolls on and Wilhite really looks like he is starting to come into his own. As for the pass rush, A.D. is back and I can see them begin to take the reigns off Mayo and Guyton a little this year for some inside pressure. How much of an impact Burgess will make in this defense still remains to be seen, though.

Yup- Mayo and Meriweather were both on the cusp last year, and both are known for putting in tons of offseason work. If they both have a breakthrough this year, we're looking at a legitimate top-10 defense this year (I know we were top 10 in yardage last year, but that means nothing).

The D scares me a bit... I won't lie... but I bet you one thing : fans of other teams are probably going to be crapping their pants when our offense is on the field.

I guess improvement during the year is going to be the key. I'm pretty sure our defense is going to be better equipped to deal with their D, than their D against our O. We'll see pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back