PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kenny Britt is reportedly visiting Patriots Sunday 3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not thrilled with the Lafell signing (too much $), but I guess he really impressed BB. As far as Britt, I think he brings more to the table than Lafell talent wise, bigger, stronger, faster. You watch highlights and Britt LOOKS like an elite talent. He's got Julio Jones/AJ Green type talent, but a 25 cent brain. I'm shocked he's even coming in for a visit after the Hernandez debacle last years. 7 friggen arrests are you kidding me ? That being said, IF BB feels he's worth looking at, and possibly signing, on talent alone I'd prefer Britt over Lafell. Also, these guys can be cut during training camp IF they aren't coming through. For instance Britt and Lafell may fall into the Ocho Cinco school where they can't figure out the play book, and may be gone by late August. So I wouldn't be too upset if both were signed. WR was a weakness, so I'm glad they are looking into it. Just wished they looked elsewhere like James Jones or some of the other guys that were available. Would have felt better with Sanders at 4 mill a year as opposed to Lafell.

For the right price, he'd definitely be worth a look

We can't forget that Revis's 1 year deal was extended to 2 for a better cap hit for the Patriots.

If the Patriots guaranteed $3m of LaFell's contract at a base of say $2.5m salary the first year, $3.5m the second, $5m the third, then the 3rd year could be added by design to defray the cap consequences for this year.

If a 2 year deal, it would be for $6m with $3m guaranteed. But by adding a 3rd year, you lower the cap hit this year.

Except you have to use the pick on them and that means passing on other prospects who might be able to help you more. Britt was first round talent with a 35th round head and the likelihood of him becoming a Patriot, making the team, and being successful is not that high but Belichick is still going to kick the tires and do his due diligence on him, especially given that those low risk high reward gambles have frequently payed off for him.

He'll look at him, may sign him, and then allow him to compete for a jib...

Don't be silly. There're plenty of jibs to go around. :smokin:

Then, again: Whatever motivates the guy...

I have a few credible sources and they both say Britt is signing with the pats!!!

You think we're drafting another 2 or 3 WRs? lol.

No.

This draft is going to be focused on the trenches and tight end positions primarily.

Oh yeah, and the annual never before heard of safety.

My reply was to the situation @ Carolina, not the Patriots.

I would love to see Britt on the team. I am intrigued as to what this could be if healthy and with the right team and QB throwing to him. When he was "right" with the Titans he was spectacular. And he could potentially be just as big a difference maker on the offensive side of the ball as Revis is to the defensive side. He could make the Broncos signing of Sanders look like a chump move in comparison and get Belichick even more evil genius terms thrown at him.

Not thrilled with the Lafell signing (too much $), but I guess he really impressed BB. As far as Britt, I think he brings more to the table than Lafell talent wise, bigger, stronger, faster. You watch highlights and Britt LOOKS like an elite talent. He's got Julio Jones/AJ Green type talent, but a 25 cent brain. I'm shocked he's even coming in for a visit after the Hernandez debacle last years. 7 friggen arrests are you kidding me ? That being said, IF BB feels he's worth looking at, and possibly signing, on talent alone I'd prefer Britt over Lafell. Also, these guys can be cut during training camp IF they aren't coming through. For instance Britt and Lafell may fall into the Ocho Cinco school where they can't figure out the play book, and may be gone by late August. So I wouldn't be too upset if both were signed. WR was a weakness, so I'm glad they are looking into it. Just wished they looked elsewhere like James Jones or some of the other guys that were available. Would have felt better with Sanders at 4 mill a year as opposed to Lafell.
Belichick is just covering all his bases. LaFell is a good signing in that he is a big receiver who can actually play a hard worker and reliable player. Britt is moss light in terms of his skill set but needs to get his head right and stay on the field. If he doesn't work out then we still have a solid reliable receiving core. If he does then he is a winning lottery ticket for the offense and an explosive difference maker who could take pressure off having to rely on Gronk for instant touchdowns.

Britt is worth the vet minimum or a little more if there is no upfront money that will become dead $ when he is cut.
No reason not to bring him to camp and see if he can be straightened out. Upside is probably depth any way.

I like the size of these two guys. I think back to that last set of downs vs the Phins to win the game. I wonder if maybe if the Pats had some bigger targets they could have won the game.

Albert Breer tweets that the Rams passed Kenny Britt on his physical so maybe those knees aren't an issue.

Titans believed Britt had really grown up in the last year. Health of Britt's knees are a question, but the Rams passed him on his physical.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/445219314527129600

I'm starting to want this to happen.

Edit: Of course the Rams brought back Roger Saffold so maybe their doctors are a little on the "eh, who gives a crap?" side of imprudence

Albert Breer tweets that the Rams passed Kenny Britt on his physical so maybe those knees aren't an issue.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/445219314527129600

I'm starting to want this to happen.

They said the same thing about Saffold being healthy. Still they believed he was worth 31m though.

Should be la low cost signing and worth a look for sure. That would be a lot of height in the redzone. Hope Brady is practicing his fades.

Don't understand the negativity. This was a #1 WR who has had issues off the field and according to Titans he started turning his life around. Sure you can ask about his knees but he'll take a physical here. So really not getting why be negative if we are to sign him. At best you get a starter who has talent, at worst you cut him. His contract will not be prohibitive of that and if he gets a little more than we expect it will be tied to off the field, on field performance etc.

Bottom line: Bill is going out there finding targets for Brady adding to what we had last year with 6-2, 6-3, WR's. Isn't this what we have been asking for? Some of you expect a trade for Julio Jones, Andre Johnson aka dream world. Get a grip this is a good thing for this team. More targets, more competition the better the choices. I for one am excited.

Pats aren't exactly oozing with proven and reliable receivers so any addition to this WR corps is very good news in my book.

I would love him here. His potential is off the charts if he reverts back to his form from a couple years ago.

I dug this out of the archives.....

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/231585-wonderlic-scores-out-page2.html

Although Britt is no rhode scholar, this probably explains why we did not
go after

2009 - Wonderlic scores
Some noteworthy scores (listing highest score for the player if multiple tests):

11 - Chris Baker, DT
11 - Hakeem Nicks, WR
11 - LeSean McCoy, RB
12 - Percy Harvin, WR
12 - Louis Delmas, S
12 - Joe Burnet, CB
13 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
14 - Darius Heyward-Bey, WR
15 - Rey Maualuga, ILB
15 - Michael Crabtree, WR
17 - Tyson Jackson, DE
17 - Andre Smith, OT
19 - William Moore, S
19 - Michael Oher, OT
20 - Brandon Pettigrew, TE
21 - Kenny Britt, WR
21 - Everette Brown, DE/OLB
21 - Ziggy Hood, DT/DE
21 - BJ Raji, DT
21 - Max Unger, OG/C
22 - William Beatty, OT
22 - Jason Smith, OT
22 - Chip Vaughn, S
22 - Alphonso Smith, CB
22 - Chris Wells, RB
23 - Patrick Chung, S
23 - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB
23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S
24 - Darius Butler, CB
24 - Donald Brown, RB
24 - James Laurinaitis, ILB
25 - Jeremy Maclin, WR
25 - Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB
25 - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB
25 - Robert Ayers, DE/OLB
25 - Sean Smith, CB/S
26 - Eugene Monroe, OT
26 - Alex Mack, OG/C
26 - Pat White, QB/WR
26 - Aaron Curry, LB
26 - Brian Cushing, LB
27 - Clay Matthews, LB
27 - Josh Freeman, QB
28 - Mark Sanchez, QB
28 - Brian Robiskie, WR
29 - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT
31 - Eric Wood, OG/C
33 - Vontae Davis, CB
34 - Larry English, DE/OLB
35 - James Casey, TE
35 - Matt Stafford, QB

Not sure if Britt is smart enough to pick up our offense, but he sure seems
to have the advantage over Hakeem Nicks.

Re: Kenny Britt is reportedly visiting Patriots tomorrow

Don't understand the negativity. This was a #1 WR who has had issues off the field and according to Titans he started turning his life around. Sure you can ask about his knees but he'll take a physical here. So really not getting why be negative if we are to sign him. At best you get a starter who has talent, at worst you cut him. His contract will not be prohibitive of that and if he gets a little more than we expect it will be tied to off the field, on field performance etc.

Bottom line: Bill is going out there finding targets for Brady adding to what we had last year with 6-2, 6-3, WR's. Isn't this what we have been asking for? Some of you expect a trade for Julio Jones, Andre Johnson aka dream world. Get a grip this is a good thing for this team. More targets, more competition the better the choices. I for one am excited.

He has never really produced anywhere near a #1 WR level. His career highs are 45 catches and 775 yards. His career average is 43 yards a game lower than Amendola's career avg and Dobson's number from last year.

Not sure if Britt is smart enough to pick up our offense, but he sure seems
to have the advantage over Hakeem Nicks.

Some species of Algae seem to have the advantage over Hakeem Nicks, including Crumpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes