PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kennn Phillips???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Any thoughts about drafting this guy with the number 7 pick...I mean he is a very special player and could be a great replacement for Harrison.

Scouting Report
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/kenny-phillips.htm

I couldnt believe this comparison...Not surprising, since UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed"

That blew me away and i mean look at those two safties arguably the best two in the game.

Would you guys draft him?

If the Pats like him and feel with a trade back to 9-11 spot he would still be available they may take a chance on him.

Does every safety coming out of Miami have the same abilities of Taylor and Reed? They were saying the same thing about Meriweather last year.

I don't think we draft him. Sanders is really considered Harrison's replacement and we have Wilson (if resigned) and Meriweather at FS

I think we could draft him, simply for the fact this is a copy cat league we are gonna see a lot of the spread offense.
Plus he's a excellent blitzer, Smart instinctive player and was a team mate of Meriweather's.
They really dominated the secondary together.
He's good at sniffing out the run comes from a great program went against top competition BB has shown he's not afraid to draft cornerbacks. and safeties high just linebackers.
So I either see us taking Kenny Philips or trading down for the linebacker that be believes he can coach to fit this defense.
Make no mistake about it we need to rebuild the secondary with having 3 free agents there.
If the combination of Bruschi, Seau retire we need new linebackers.
I do not want to see any tight ends or wide receivers, running backs taken in the first round.
Only position I can see needing an upgrade but hopefully in the middle rounds is Offensive tackle.

Last edited:
The Miami defense was horrible last season and one of the major reasons for that was 11 guys all freelancing out there, trying to increase their draft status instead of playing as a unit.

Phillips is a dangerous pick if he can't be made to function as part of a unit in the pros.

You think Phillips can play corner in the nickel package. Cover in the slot good with running and can jam receivers.

Seeing how he is the first db/safety in the draft I assume he has all the qualities of a safety with a little more sprinkles. It would only make sense.

AGILTY will be the main concern, is he agile enough to swivel and cover well, if yes then I would definitely consider it. There are other safeties slotted at around 15 so we could always wait.

He's more of a ballhawking type than Meriweather. Has good hitting ability, and covers very well. His frame/size reminds you of Sean Taylor, while his playing style is closer to Reed's.

Will BB pay 7M+ per year for a rookie safety?
This guy better be potential HOF/All pro material for that to happen.
I've heard both good reports and negative reports on the guy. I'm still not quite sold, and I think CB is a bigger need than S to be honest.

If we're going to go safety, I'd rather wait a round and take Reggie Smith out of OU. Plus, he gives you that CB flexibility a la Wilson and Meriweather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes