Welcome to PatsFans.com

Kennedy's Water Issues

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Apr 24, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/greenpeacetakes24.htm

Greenpeace takes Kennedy to task

In the 30-second spot, a cartoon Kennedy looms over the water like a Japanese movie monster, pounding wind turbines as they sprout from the water, and barks, ''I might see them from my mansion on the Cape.''

The ads will run in the home states of several key lawmakers in the days leading up to the vote - an $8.7 billion Coast Guard bill that could make the Nantucket Sound wind farm vulnerable to state veto. Among those targeted so far are U.S. Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., and Norm Coleman, R-Minn.
    The ad is not being shown in Massachusetts.

What's more, though, a spokesman for U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said Stevens inserted the language because Kennedy told him to, according to an Alaska newspaper. A Kennedy spokeswoman denied the Massachusetts senator wrote the amendment, but conceded his opposition to Cape Wind is not likely to change.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 20 / -17

Good for Greenpeace. I have yet to hear any good reason for opposing the wind farm (unless you consider altered vistas and modified yacht routes legitimate reasons). Anyone care to play devil's advocate? Is there an argument against wind farms?

3. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

None I can think of ... I would like to see them mandated (where they payoff is worth it) along with solar collectors in appropriate regions.

Add to that better individual choices (like tankless water heaters - you don't just save 80% on electricity, you no longer have a 100 gallon waterballon waiting to burst), high effciency light bulbs (CFLs, earning anywhere from 40% to 65% savings), better home insulation.

Where I grew up (central Mass), we heated our house with a single wood stove (Vermont Castings Defiant). Eight cord of hardwood (which we cut ourselves) was enough for an entire winter. For those who don't know, a cord is a stack of wood 8'L x 4'W x 4'H.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Uncle Teddy is afraid he'll get drunk and ram one of them with his little sail boat, (Mary Jo is waiting, just below the surface) :bricks:

5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

Wind farms will present a blot on the 'beautiful people's' view of Nantucket Sound. Multi-million dollar shorefront property will see tiny windmills on the horizon.

6. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Windmill farms look pretty cool at a distance. There's one heading east on I580 from Oakland to the central valley. There's another down in Palm Springs. I wouldn't mind having a view of those.

Regards,
    Chris

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Renewable energy policy and fossil fuel reduction = increased national security.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

Could not agree more, this whole thing is about big money and big interests, not about the needs of this country or reduction of dependence on foreign oil. I remember about 20 years ago they tried this on Block Island, they installed a huge windmill that hummed when it moved, there were logistical problems i.e. it interfered with cable tv, they took it down. The same argument is going on in Western Maine, near Mt Abram close to Rangeley they want to put up windmills there, raising all kinds of concerns.