PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kenbrell Thompkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs more looks/targets I think. He may have gotten a big head after the Saints victory...but, he is legit.

I don’t think so but if it was the case I am sure being a game day inactive coach’s decision let a little air out of his head.

Think KT will be fine and mature into a steady receiver, my only skepticism is his past and will he be able to stay on the right path or do stupid stuff....

I think he will go the way of Justin Francis and Sterling Moore this offseason overhyped UDFA that people drank too much kool aide for and began believing they were future all pros.

Also, QB is clearly higher than WR; also, DE and LB are higher than WR.

WR is already well down on the list.

TE.
C.
OG.
DT.
CB (assumign Talib leaves).

Then maybe you can think about WR.

Excluding Edelman (who could be back but is a UFA) we have Dobson, Amendola, KT, Boyce and hopefully Harrison develops. Other than a late round flier that's what we have and we have too many neeeds to add to it.

KT is a fine #4. The open question is whether he is ready for more reps as the #3 receiver. He does seems a better bet going downfield than Edelman. The question mark is the reliability of his route running.

Good bounce back game for the kid he was targeted twice and caught both. I couldn't really tell you his progress based on just 14 snaps but he seems to be a solid 4th wide receiver.

Also, QB is clearly higher than WR; also, DE and LB are higher than WR.
QB isn't unless we trade Mallett. We're fine with Brady and Mallet for 2014 and a later round guy to learn the system as a 2015 backup.

LB is tough as Nink and Chandler are sometimes LB but without them we have plenty invested with Mayo, Hightower, Collins with Beauhanis cheap and Fletcher would be cheap to bring back.

DE has the LB issue - who's a DE - but I put LB and DE around the same as WR - we've brought in plenty of players, we need to make it work with them. We have to get both interior lines fixed (especially as we can save $7.5M if Vince doesn't return) and repalcing "The Murderer" goes without saying.

To be clear, I agree with your top 4 priorities.

DB
I don't expect Talib back. However, I do expect us to sign either Talib or another at least mid-level veteran. So, with regard to defensive back, I see the need as backup safety. We have Gregory, but if Harmon can start (and he probably can), then Gregory might be expensive as a backup. In any case, we could use a future backup unless Tavon (or Ebner) improves greatly.

QB
Mallett will be in his last season. It is time to bring in someone for 2015. When we choose the player is not my issues. For me, we should just keep this need in focus. We will bring in a quarterback to compete with Mallett (so a trade is possible) and for 2015.

LB/DE
We have Spikes. We have inexpensive backups in Collins, Beauharnais and Fletcher. We certainly might consider a LB (either run-stopper or pass-defending) as our #5 - #7 priority.
Are we set with Buchanan and Bequette or might one be upgraded? I agree that we have lots invested in Mayo, Hightower and Jones.

RB
This is the hidden need. Do we expect to re-sign both Ridley and Vereen? Is Blount coming back? Bolden? Washington?

QB isn't unless we trade Mallett. We're fine with Brady and Mallet for 2014 and a later round guy to learn the system as a 2015 backup.

LB is tough as Nink and Chandler are sometimes LB but without them we have plenty invested with Mayo, Hightower, Collins with Beauhanis cheap and Fletcher would be cheap to bring back.

DE has the LB issue - who's a DE - but I put LB and DE around the same as WR - we've brought in plenty of players, we need to make it work with them. We have to get both interior lines fixed (especially as we can save $7.5M if Vince doesn't return) and repalcing "The Murderer" goes without saying.

Definitely don't hate his 15.8 yards per catch average. Top 15 in the NFL. The only other rookies in the Top 15 are Kenny Stills and Terrance Williams

The problem is not KT or AD, but how they are being utilized. Brady needs to throw to them more often - they are the only down field threats we have. You can't keep throwing only to amendoka, gronk and edelman. Be less predictable.

I think he's playing a role that he's well-suited for. When he's on the field, he's typically the fourth option at best, which means that unlike in years past, we have a fourth/fifth option who's capable of making defenses pay with a big play if he's overlooked. He makes it much harder to devote extra attention to two of the Gronk/Amendola/Vereen trio.

He and Dobson have progressed enough that I'm willing to cross WR off of the offseason 'needs' list. They can just re-sign Edelman at presumably a pretty cheap price and be all set. Just let the continuity and growth of Thompkins/Dobson take over from there to come back with a further improved group next year. Which means more attention can be dedicated to the other areas of need in the draft and free agency. Works for me.

The needs this offseason, IMO, are first and foremost C/G, DT, and CB, followed by S and TE. Some more DE depth would be great, of course, but I'd be fine with going into 2014 with what's there. If anyone still takes issue with putting CB so high up, my reasoning is simple: once a player has developed a consistent track record of injuries, particularly the same reoccurring injury, you have to see him remain healthy before you can project health going forward. Talib has thus far proven that he can't be counted on to stay healthy, and Dennard has been nicked up and missed a few games both seasons as well.

I have to say that I really appreciate the way Kenbrell Thompkins handled himself when he was de-actvated and kept his focus and his cool.

Both of these rookies (Thompkins and Dobson) have been through a lot. They took a lot of crap early on for drops, mis-reading coverages and bad routes, kept working and are now trusted guys for Brady and McDaniels. Both are keepers going forward. This trio of Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson gives the Patriots three guys under 30 for the next few years that can help with the transition to a new QB.

Combined, Thompkins and Dobson have caught 60 passes for 8 TDs through ten games - on pace for 96 receptions and 13 touchdowns.

I have to say that I really appreciate the way Kenbrell Thompkins handled himself when he was de-actvated and kept his focus and his cool.

Both of these rookies (Thompkins and Dobson) have been through a lot. They took a lot of crap early on for drops, mis-reading coverages and bad routes, kept working and are now trusted guys for Brady and McDaniels. Both are keepers going forward. This trio of Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson gives the Patriots three guys under 30 for the next few years that can help with the transition to a new QB.

Combined, Thompkins and Dobson have caught 60 passes for 8 TDs through ten games - on pace for 96 receptions and 13 touchdowns.

If that becomes necessary. ;)

He played decently last night. I saw him beat his man clean off the line a couple of times but never got any looks on those routes. He needs to do that consistently and be where he's supposed to be and not drop passes before he earns the complete trust from Tom.

He got a lot targets early on out of necessity (injuries, Dobson rounding to form/developing). Now KT has to start earning targets rather than having them force fed to him. If he keeps playing his role like he did last night, he has a good shot at doing so.

You correctly emphasized the word earning. That's the philosophy of BB. You earn what you get--nothing should be handed to you. It's encouraging he has earned playing time because that means he is practicing hard and working at his skill.

I love Brady, but i really dislike how overdependent he is with security blanket receivers. Now brady sometime forces it to gronk without even looking at other options.

I know gronk is great, but i miss 01-06 brady who didn't care who he threw to.

I love Brady, but i really dislike how overdependent he is with security blanket receivers. Now brady sometime forces it to gronk without even looking at other options.

I know gronk is great, but i miss 01-06 brady who didn't care who he threw to.

While I agree with you in theory, we the 01-06 targets more reliable in getting open and catching the ball?

While I agree with you in theory, we the 01-06 targets more reliable in getting open and catching the ball?

Amendola, thompkins, and dobson are more talented than ANY receiver set from those years.

Gronk is truly unstoppable, but he also sometimes makes brady predicable.

Amendola, thompkins, and dobson are more talented than ANY receiver set from those years.

Gronk is truly unstoppable, but he also sometimes makes brady predicable.

I also like this group, including Shane Vereen out of the backfield, a lot. Youth, speed varying sizes and skill sets.

The big missing piece is Aaron Hernandez. This receiving corps was built with him as the Swiss Army knife who could line up anywhere and who would attract attention from a top defender depending on where he was. What an utter waste of talent. I get angry every time I think about him. His behavior was selfish, stupid, unforgivable, and evil. He's looking at 50-60 years staring at the same four walls. For what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back