• Lavelle Hawkins

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Michael Jenkins

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Mark Harrison

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You seem to count on both rookie wide receivers and on our fine part-time punt returner.

It is quite possible that Dobson will be so dependable by Game One that Belichick is convinced that he doesn't need either Jenkins or Jones. To me, that simply seems unlikely.

For me, the question is whether we keep Jenkins AND Jones. I would note that even the top WR's often need a year to get acclimated to the NFL. This is especially true for a patriot offense.

I agree, which is why I think Jones will make the team.

I'm thinking that Boyce might be put on the active PUP. He hasn't practiced yet this off season. I can see them putting him on the active PUP and then maybe the Regular Season PUP to "red shirt" him for 6-12 games.

The reality is that he probably won't make an impact right away as a rookie especially since he missed the early camps. There's a very good chance at least one WR will be out (IR) by weeks 6-12.

Why not let him heal completely and then have him avaiable in weeks 6-12 to replace any injured WR?

Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, Slater, Edelman, Thompkins/Hawkins - Hawkins for now but Thompkins could easily overtake him. Thompkins to PS if isn't in the Final 53.

Boyce on PUP.

I'm thinking that Boyce might be put on the active PUP. He hasn't practiced yet this off season. I can see them putting him on the active PUP and then maybe the Regular Season PUP to "red shirt" him for 6-12 games.

The reality is that he probably won't make an impact right away as a rookie especially since he missed the early camps. There's a very good chance at least one WR will be out (IR) by weeks 6-12.

Why not let him heal completely and then have him avaiable in weeks 6-12 to replace any injured WR?

Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, Slater, Edelman, Thompkins/Hawkins - Hawkins for now but Thompkins could easily overtake him. Thompkins to PS if isn't in the Final 53.

Boyce on PUP.

Not really a choice for the team to make. If he is healthy, they are obligated to activate him.

Depends on how vigilant he and his agent are about filing a grievance. :cool:

I guess that depends on how well his broken foot has "heeled".

Get it...."heeled". :D

I really, really hope that the release of Donald Jones doesn't bode better for Lavelle Hawkins.

A rookie wide receiver who has not practiced through 6 weeks of the season is unlikely to be of any use to the team. Boyce needs the practice time, in camp, in preseason games and in practice sessions during the season.

Boyce on PUP.

Jenkins is the big veteran outside receiver that we need this year. He may, or may not, be highly productive. That depends on the development of Dobson and Boyce.

At this point (pre-camp), the roster looks like: Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, Edelman, Boyce and Slater.

Personally, I would also keep Jones (or even Hawkins), if either has a good camp. Having rookies and players with injury histories should push us to use one of the last roster positions on insurance at WR.

My only concern with Jenkins is if he's on the field in all likely hood Dobson isn't. Not meaning at all but just meaning we don't spend a lot of time in sets that use two X receivers historically.

I think we need to put Dobson out there for better or worse like we did with C.Jones and Hightower last season.

I remember after OTA's and early in camp the media was talking at Trevor Scott and Bobby Carpenter being impressive and lining up with the first team. By the time week one rolled around Carpenter was gone and Scott was 4th or 5th on the DE depth chart. I think the Jenkins situation will play out the same way, early on in camp he will be getting the reps but by week one he will either be gone or way down the depth chart and Dobson will be starting just like C.Jones and Hightower.

I could be wrong but I just think BB always starts OTA's and camp with veterans and works the rookies in slowly.

I agree with your analysis that who plays first string in early camp may be irrelevant to who makes the team. I would point out that being near the bottom of depth chart works out worse, as it did for Jones.

If Dobson steps up, he will start, no doubt. But that isn't a reason for not keeping Jenkins. It is not clear to me who I would want out there in the red zone. But, more importantly, who is the 3rd WR when we play 3 wide? Is is Edelman? Maybe? Is it Jenkins? Perhaps. I expect Boyce to be inactive, as well as a UDFA if we keep one on the 53. I expect an active group of Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, and Edelman. Personally, I would keep a couple of WR's on the Practice Squad, but Belichick may feel so strongly about one that he makes the 53.

My only concern with Jenkins is if he's on the field in all likely hood Dobson isn't. Not meaning at all but just meaning we don't spend a lot of time in sets that use two X receivers historically.

I think we need to put Dobson out there for better or worse like we did with C.Jones and Hightower last season.

I remember after OTA's and early in camp the media was talking at Trevor Scott and Bobby Carpenter being impressive and lining up with the first team. By the time week one rolled around Carpenter was gone and Scott was 4th or 5th on the DE depth chart. I think the Jenkins situation will play out the same way, early on in camp he will be getting the reps but by week one he will either be gone or way down the depth chart and Dobson will be starting just like C.Jones and Hightower.

I could be wrong but I just think BB always starts OTA's and camp with veterans and works the rookies in slowly.

I agree with your analysis that who plays first string in early camp may be irrelevant to who makes the team. I would point out that being near the bottom of depth chart works out worse, as it did for Jones.

If Dobson steps up, he will start, no doubt. But that isn't a reason for not keeping Jenkins. It is not clear to me who I would want out there in the red zone. But, more importantly, who is the 3rd WR when we play 3 wide? Is is Edelman? Maybe? Is it Jenkins? Perhaps. I expect Boyce to be inactive, as well as a UDFA if we keep one on the 53. I expect an active group of Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, and Edelman. Personally, I would keep a couple of WR's on the Practice Squad, but Belichick may feel so strongly about one that he makes the 53.

Yeah agree completely on the keeping a few on practice squad. Aikens, Thompkins, Harrison would be ideal, well two of the three.

You know what I think would be an interesting thread discussion buddy? The fact that the injuries over the last 10 months have made us all forget about how freaking great Rob Gronkowski is, when he is healthy I don't think anyone other then Calvin Johnson is more uncover-able and dominate. I really hope he gets healthy because honestly if he's in the game you could but me out there at WR and we'd still score a ton of points.

To answer your question about what my opinion is on the 3rd WR, I'd probably say Edelman, eventually Boyce but not to start the season and maybe not at all this season. I also don't discount a dark horse like Hawkins or Kamar Aikens.

A healthy Gronkowski is the best TE in NFL history. All he needs is longevity. Havin Brady, Welker and Gronkowski on the same team was really, really special.

You focus on the mismatches in coverage. This is especially useful in the red zone.

But for me, the greatest thing is to watch this great pass-receiver as a blocker. He is simply awesome. We have a pulling TE. That's sick!

Yeah agree completely on the keeping a few on practice squad. Aikens, Thompkins, Harrison would be ideal, well two of the three.

You know what I think would be an interesting thread discussion buddy? The fact that the injuries over the last 10 months have made us all forget about how freaking great Rob Gronkowski is, when he is healthy I don't think anyone other then Calvin Johnson is more uncover-able and dominate. I really hope he gets healthy because honestly if he's in the game you could but me out there at WR and we'd still score a ton of points.

A healthy Gronkowski is the best TE in NFL history. All he needs is longevity. Havin Brady, Welker and Gronkowski on the same team was really, really special.

You focus on the mismatches in coverage. This is especially useful in the red zone.

But for me, the greatest thing is to watch this great pass-receiver as a blocker. He is simply awesome. We have a pulling TE. That's sick!

Yeah he really is an amazing player to watch, and his blocking was beastly. I cannot wait to see him back on the field. Honestly with this current WR/TE group unless he has no shot at returning till after week 6 I'd probably opt not to PUP him with the hope he could return in week 3 or 4. That's how much I think we need him I'd just keep on the 53 as an inactive for a for first few weeks and then work him back in slowly in following weeks. 20-30 snaps of Gronkowski is probably more significant than 75 snaps from any other WR/TE not named Amendola.

Anyway I'm going to hit the sheets, as always it was fun mixing it up with you in here MG. Have a good night pal and I hope to get into it again with you tomorrow.

I think we all need to remember that we were a 2 TE team the last three years because we had two really damn good TEs that had multiple skills that didn't overlap. Now we have one really damn good TE on the mend and a couple TEs behind him all with overlapping skills. BB will roll out the scheme that is to the strength of the roster. Don't be surprised to see us running spreads and 3 WR sets more frequently than 2 TE sets this year.

With 5 years of experience in the offense, and ability he has.. I'm pretty certain Julian Edelman will be the 3rd receiver, and quiet frankly couldn't see it any other way. Lastly, Kenbrell Thompkins is just flat out talented and wants it more than anybody right now. He is making this team IMO so to me the fight for their lives will be between Michael Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins and Mark Harrison.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back