PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ken Walter signed, Spann released (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are things a man should not do 45 minutes after eating, like swimming or finding out your favorite football team signed Ken Walter. I feel sick all of a sudden, and its not from the turkey.

This must be a joke right? There is no way in heck that BB would bring back a guy that had something like a 35 yrd average in the last year he was here........IF this is somehow horrificly true....ISN'T there ANYONE else OUT there??????

I am sick to my stomach...tell me this isn't true..........HE**....Let TROY BROWN PUNT FOR CRISSAKES....He would be better than Walters!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!....The sky is falling!!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

November 24, 2006
Walter's day

FOXBOROUGH -- New punter Ken Walter drew a large crowd from the assembled media today in the locker room, and he touched on his unpredictable return to the Patriots.

"I'd be stupid to say it didn't catch me on my heels a little bit," he said.

The 34-year-old Walter, who punted for the Patriots from 2001-2003, was asked about his role as a holder, which coach Bill Belichick said was crucial to signing him.

"I take a lot of pride in holding," Walter said. "It's three points or one point, but you're scoring. It's very important to get on the same page as the kicker and have him trust you as a holder."

Walter had been training back in his hometown of Charlotte, and had tryouts with the Jaguars and Texans last week. He wasn't expecting anything to happen with the Patriots, as their interest came out of nowhere.

"I got the call and was excited, to say the least," he said. "I've been busting my butt at home and trying to get back in this thing."

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:44:47 PM

November 24, 2006
Practice notes

* New punter Ken Walter will wear jersey No. 15.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:59:24 AM

Last edited:
31 teams manage to solve the problem of having someone who can punt and someone who can hold a ball.

Why is it so vexing for us?

Speaking of punters...WHY do all of our punters, when punting from inside the opponents 40-50 yard line always kick it right down the middle of the field and, most of the time, into the end zone. Whatever happened to kicking the ball towards the coffin corner?......Must be the special teams coaching instructions.

I don't understand this, either. I find it particularly puzzling when you are punting in the opponents' half. In the same field position in Rugby, good kickers (Johnny Wilkinson: please, please, please stop getting injured!) aim for the corners, which is a heck of a skill as the ball has to bounce for going off the field. Otherwise your opponent gets the ball back from where you kicked it.:eek:
There are slightly different reasons for the corner kick but the gist of it is the same, i.e. to stop anyone running the ball back and to stop the equivalent of a touchback. I suspect that teams could get more distance if they went for accuracy over height, but that's just MHO.
Does anyone know if a punt has to bounce before going off the field?

Does anyone know if a punt has to bounce before going off the field?

No it doesn't have to bounce on the field of play first. When it goes directly out of bounds, they do their best at guess-timating the trajectory of the ball and where it went out.

Insiders report that Miller switched shoulders with Brady. Miller will have surgery on the shoulder and return it to Brady when it is healed.:cool:

I was always apprehensive about a guy who wore an elastic band on his wrist and snapped it to deflect negative thoughts. There are no elastic wrist bands in FOOTBALL! Besides, I kind of like bringing back an "old" championship Patriot.

I'm very bummed to see Miller IR'ed. I hope he's back next year. When healthy he is still more-than-solid and a great locker room guy by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back