PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ken Walter signed, Spann released (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

November 22, 2006
Walter signed

The Patriots announced that they have signed punter Ken Walter and released CB Antwain Spann.

Walter's return caps off an unpredictable journey.

At the end of the 2003 season, Walter wasn't re-signed by the Patriots. Walter struggled at the tail end of that season, was cut for a week as he lost his job to Brooks Barnard, then re-signed for the Patriots' final surge to the Super Bowl championship.

Walter's career appeared over, but he was signed by Seattle in November of 2004 and punted in six regular-season games and one playoff contest. Yet no team called in 2005 and Walter, who underwent surgery on his left shoulder in October, filed his retirement papers with the league.

As Walter rehabilitated his shoulder injury, he was motivated by his physical therapist to make a comeback. He told the Boston Globe last week that he's striking the ball as well as he ever has, and both the Texans and Jaguars had him in for tryouts last week.

The 34-year-old Walter has played in 112 career regular seaosn games and seven playoff games for Carolina (1997-2000), New England (2001-2003) and Seattle (2004).

The Patriots currently have two punters on their roster -- Josh Miller and Walter. Miller has been struggling of late and was added to the team's injury report today with a shoulder ailment.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 03:28:58 PM

Of course, it was me just 7 hours ago who claimed this:

http://patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=246126&postcount=5

pats1 said:
I think Mike went a bit off the deep end here. Miller is fine. Just like all punters, he's going to go through streaks and slumps. I highly, highly doubt the Pats are even thinking about bringing back Walter.

So, I have only two words:

Brooks Barnard.

Last edited:
Walter back with Pats (BB mother released from basement)

EEI just said that the Pats have sign Ken Walter to punt and Miller has an injuried shoulder. I can't believe they couldn't find anyone better.

Re: Ken Walter signed, Spann released

Not like it's any surprise, but it's safe to say Josh Miller is injured.

Re: Walter back with Pats (BB mother released from basement)

Maybe something is really wrong with Miller???

I suspect injury also, let the Walter adventure begin, I remember when he punted for us last time a considerable amount of time was spent talking about him and his punting... more than we should have.

Walter signed...SPann gone prob to PSqd

Walter is signed..per Reiss....so it seems Miller may be injured and this is insurance just in case..a good move...

Re: Walter back with Pats (BB mother released from basement)

Good headline.

What happened to that guy they had on the practice squad?

I'd rather have Spann try a couple punts myself. I just hope Borges never gets a hold of The Polaroids Walters got stashed.

GJAJ15 said:
I suspect injury also, let the Walter adventure begin, I remember when he punted for us last time a considerable amount of time was spent talking about him and his punting... more than we should have.

Even enough for the Brooks Barnard era to begin and end...

So...I guess Spann gets re-signed to the p.s. and they release that young punter? (Or did we get rid of him already?)

Sorry...who is Brooks Barnard ??

GJAJ15 said:

Twenty yard punts tend to make you a topic of conversation.

Other than "get rid of him" and "who did he screw to get on the team?", I don't think I had much to say.:)

carolinatony said:

A guy we signed for a while. I think it was between Walter stints, but I'm not sure.

carolinatony said:

After Walter sucked up the house in mid-2003, they cut Walter and brought in Brooks Barnard for one game (vs. Miami, snow bowl). Walter came back the next week.

I am seriously in a state of shock that Ken Walter is back. My God :mad:

Haha, I remeber saying in the chat how bad Miller is doing, and was met with responses of, "Would you like Walter back?"

patsox23 said:
So...I guess Spann gets re-signed to the p.s. and they release that young punter? (Or did we get rid of him already?)

Baugher's still around, but the practice squad is only at 7 guys (Spann was promoted on Sunday), so Spann will probably just be re-signed without any counter-move.

RayClay said:
Twenty yard punts tend to make you a topic of conversation.

Other than "get rid of him" and "who did he screw to get on the team?", I don't think I had much to say.:)

I was thinking the same thing he has to know somebody with Vinatieri gone
maybe he will be friends with Ghost now.

I'm going to re-watch the 2003 season DVD now. If I come back pissed off, you'll know why.

Pats1...you beat me to it..I was posting as you were..and... It is an interesting move..I agree..Spann back to PSquad.... And what really stinks is that before one could delete a thread through editing..no more..as I want to delete it..

broadwayjoe said:
I was thinking the same thing he has to know somebody with Vinatieri gone
maybe he will be friends with Ghost now.

Actually he has a connection to BB I believe.

Ball boy on the Browns? Help me out posters!!

Seriously, the only time I've considered BB playing favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back