PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelly Washington status on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is Kelly still on the roster and active or is he injured?

I have not seen anything of him so far...Is he participating on special teams?

Just thought about him and don't remember seeing him playing thus far

Mostly a ST demon so far. I've seen him in on a few plays at WR, though.

He's been active both weeks and played a lot on special teams, with some offense as well (I don't think Brady has thrown him anything though). He's most visible on kick coverage.

He was a special teams monster in week one. He only played in a few offensive plays in week two. He's a contributor, but he's no Randy Moss.

Just to add to what others have said, if you dvr'ed the Pat/Charger game you can see him (#15) in on the near side of the toss play to Maroney I believe.

Everybody says he's good on STs and that's why he's on the team.

Everybody goes so crazy about the 5th wide receiver. No team uses 5 wides consistently. Do you think they're going to not throw it to Moss and Welker so he can get some looks?

They'll be lucky to get some real use out of Stallworth and Gaffney. Washington's special team play will allow him to hang around and maybe get some PT in the future.

I pretty much see him, barring injuries, as a place holder until Troy Brown is off the pup. With the balloon in his contract next year, I do not see him having a long tenure in New England.

Washington has impressed me - on special teams, he has been a real monster - on many running plays, he is inserted into the line up and has not missed a block.

Barring injury, when Troy returns, I think they carry SIX WR's.......no way do i want to see this guy let go.

Washington has impressed me - on special teams, he has been a real monster - on many running plays, he is inserted into the line up and has not missed a block.

Barring injury, when Troy returns, I think they carry SIX WR's.......no way do i want to see this guy let go.

It's all about insurance at WR - and if Washington can contribute on special teams that's fine for now

If there are any injuries at WR - no one's going to be complaining if we have a 6' 3" WR in reserve

The question is, if he remains in a backup role, will we keep him next year at his current contract... I'd expect the answer is we'd ask him to renegotiate

he's a tough ST player and that is good...a solid blocker at WR..maybe he can make a career of this AND contributing when others are injured...he knocked the ball loose on a kickoff in the 1st game..he's solid..NOTHING wrong with it..next year..we'll see..

It's all about insurance at WR - and if Washington can contribute on special teams that's fine for now

If there are any injuries at WR - no one's going to be complaining if we have a 6' 3" WR in reserve

The question is, if he remains in a backup role, will we keep him next year at his current contract... I'd expect the answer is we'd ask him to renegotiate

No question about it.....there sure is a place for a guy that plays a mean special teams and is a 6-4 WR that can get open and catch the ball.

He will need to stay healthy (nursing a hammy right now) and he will need to get real as far as salary if he is going to be here next year.

I do like what I have seen so far though...

Last year brady spread the ball around, and threw to about 15 different targets. this year with legitimate targets, he doesn't have to do that, and it seems to be working out okay.
If he is doing good on STs he should stay.

Then . . . what if Chad Jackson is ready later this year ? I'm guessing Gaffney could go. He's unsigned after this year. So is Washington for the most part as we won't pick up his big option but Washington and Jackson give us two youngish WR who will know the offense if we do re-sign Washington to a different deal.

Hey . . . anyone else think this is a much better problem to have than the WR problem we watched last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes