Welcome to PatsFans.com

Kelley Washington...more time as a WR?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NEfan32, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEfan32

NEfan32 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now that CJ is gone, it seems Kelley Washington will see some more time as a WR. People forget that he is very talented as a WR and is as skilled as CJ and more consistent.

What do you all think about KW getting more time as the 3rd/4th WR?

2. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It was obvious he was going to get more time as a WR in the final 2 preseason games, where he ran as the #3 WR with Welker out. He will be the #4 when we are at full strength and will be considered a receiver this year instead of a special teamer (not to say he won't still be a big ST contributor, of course).

3. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +182 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

he certainly earned it the way he played special teams last year. I think he could be a pretty good option for Brady. Also he seems to have a slightly different skill set than most of our other WR.

4. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sounds like he has earned his spot.

Please elaborate if you have a chance.

5. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +524 / 0 / -3

I recall a few years ago (2004?) when Washington stepped up when the Bengals had an injury or two at receiver and he had about six or seven good games, with decent yardage and a few touchdowns. Maybe as a number four guy the team is better off with a consistent guy that can be counted on, rather than a receiver who couldn't run good routes and had bad hands but was fast as hell.

6. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

He and Aiken are the biggest and strongest WRs, to block a safety in the running game. While Moss is technically big and he does block, it's not why he's on the team.

Moss is the best deep threat, Welker is the best slot, and Gaffney is an all-around. Washington is also an all-around, not nearly as technically sound as Gaffney, but he brings more size and strength. Good for over the middle and good for blocking (though I didn't like that dropped pass in the 4th PS game). I would suppose that his strength makes him difficult to jam at the LOS, whereas someone like Welker relies on his quickness to get off the jam.

7. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

We are absolutely fine with Washington and Aiken as our #4 and #5 WR's.

8. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

I think he should. I just like him as a player, and always have, if you look at some old posts of mine before he came here.

He's our best ST player, IMHO, and a few more reps in the regular O might be nice.

9. jefmblrd

jefmblrd Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0

#50 Jersey

I am looking forward to seeing Washington play more WR just to see exactly what he can do at that position. I'm certainly impressed with his strong ST play.

10. JoePats

JoePats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm not saying Washington is the second coming, but he was highly regarded coming out of Tennessee (he was an outstanding college player when he wanted to be), but was kind of a head-case, which is why he slipped to round 3, where he was stuck for awhile behind some good receivers, which is why he came here, where the same thing happened. Clearly his headcase issues are behind him as he got almost no PT at WR and sucked it up and was tremendous on special teams last year. So the skills are there for him to be very productive and I have to believe that as #4 receivers go, he's got to be one of the best in the league. Even if Gaff got hurt and he had to play every down, I think he'd be just fine.

11. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Lets not over react. Washington played alot of reciever in preseason last year too and never got in to catch a ball in 07. He was the #4 reciever in Cincy....on his best day. Now we have let Stallworth walk and cut CJ it would seem that the opportunity is his to take.....but my guess is that he will likely split the #4 duty with Ventrone and CJ Jones(if Jones sticks on the roster)because of the different skill sets. Yes he is bigger and was fast coming out of TN, but if he can prove to be a posession reciever he may work his way into the offense. We run ALOT of 3 WR sets, and when we go to "empty backfield" the 4th WR will be on the field. More importantly, if a player gets hurt(remember all the injuries at WR a few years ago)it becomes a very important position in this offense.

12. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't think they have a choice.

13. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't understand the Aiken love affair. He hasn't played a second of receiver in the Patriots system. He has 19 career receptions. Washington's career stats aren't gaudy or anything, but at least he has played legitimate WR snaps in the NFL. I doubt Aiken sees a single snap at WR all year. Ventrone and Jones will get reps ahead of him.

14. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Saw a lot of Aiken in college and he actually has terrific hands. He just doesn't have the functional speed/quickness to separate at the NFL level. I also don't see him getting a lot of time at WR, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in 4 WR sets. I don't expect Jones to be on the roster in 2 weeks and I don't expect Ventrone to be active except as an injury replacement.

As for Washington, he should get his fair share of time at WR. While he doesn't have great deep speed, he has the size to fight for the ball down the field.

15. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

There are some sets in which a TE or WR can substitute for each other. So if things get tight with TE health, that also opens up a few reps for the biggest receivers.

16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

Ventrone and Jones may not be on the team after the first game. They, in addition to Slater, are very vulnerable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.